Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by jlsesq, Nov 4, 2013.

1. jlsesq

Apr 18, 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked before. I have a Glock 21. Is Hornady .45Auto +P safe to use. Considering for HD.
  2. FireMedic-50

FireMedic-50 RTF2 Geek

Aug 23, 2013
    Stormy Seas

3. Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH

Short answer... Yes.

Tested out of my G21;

Hornady .45 AUTO "Custom" factory ammunition
    230g XTP HP +P
    Velocity - Box listed @ 950 fps/my 6 shot avg = 887.6 fps
    Standard Deviation = 6.58027
    OAL - 1.230"

Just a tad bit snappy (not really that bad) but that is to be expected in a +P round. Your Glock barrel (octagonal) can handle that all day long.

[ame=""]Hornady XTP .45 ACP +P 230 gr JHP AMMO TEST - YouTube[/ame]
  4. Wil Terry

Wil Terry

Nov 28, 2001
    YOU SHOULD READ the manual that came with your pistol, Sir.
  5. Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    Wil Terry,

Now although it is true that running +P ammo will ware your barrel down more rapidly than lead or FMJ bullets. However unless you shoot and enormous amount rounds per month for the next 5 to 10 years, you nor I will never ware out a glock barrel.

The simple fact of the matter is that was put there to cover their kiesters (legally).
  6. jlsesq

Apr 18, 2013
    Will, agreed but I bought the 21 used and it did not come with a manual. Nor does the website address using +P. The idea is to have a mag loaded with the Hornady only for HD use not for target shooting.
  7. cfrye11

Nov 19, 2012
    I have never herd this before. Why would you compare +p to lead or fmj. +p is not a bullet its a load with more powder and every glock is approved for the increase in pressure this creates. Increased pressure has nothing to do with barrel wear.

molan labe
  8. Kentguy

Nov 22, 2010
    Kent, OH
    jlsesq "...The idea is to have a mag loaded with the Hornady only for HD use not for target shooting."

This is exactly the point, to use a +P round for self defense purposes only, will have no effect on a Glock barrel. Because after all how many of those will you be running through your G21 anyway?

cfrye11 "... Why would you compare +p to lead or fmj." The reference was pointing at target loads not a specific bullet.

Good Lord folks step back and take a breath.
  9. glowrod

glowrod Fightin' Fire

Feb 8, 2013
    All my pistols run better on +P.
  10. Syclone0538

May 7, 2013
    If I planned on shooting only +P, I'd probably get a slightly heavier recoil spring.

11. I am no expert but I did reload allot some time ago and when you say that "Increased pressure has nothing to do with barrel wear" I think you are mistaken!

What happens is the hot gasses create "heat checking" in the throat and bore of the barrel. Often this is combined with nitriding and causes enough erosion to affect accuracy. More gas = more pressure = more heat. Even unburnt powder being "sandblasted" against the throat/bore causes erosion.
    And the higher the pressure the more this is increased!

You will still get many thousands of rounds of +P rounds through a barrel but the +P loads does cause more erosion.
    I am no expert but this is what was taught to me by several very knowledgeable reloaders and this in my educated opinion. The +P loads also puts more stress on the slide and frame thus more powerful recoil springs are helpful.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  12. glock1911revolver

glock1911revolver Vice-Emperor

Nov 2, 2012
    You are planning on running a few mags of the +p through it at the range, aren't you?
  13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Yes. Your 21 is good to go with +P. Keep in mind if you feed it a steady diet of +P, things will require maintenance sooner that it would without as is the case with any firearm.
  14. RTFM.

If you don't have one you can download one in PDF format from several web sites.

The simple answer is, shoot all the +p you want out of your Glock, it won't hurt a thing and you will be broke from buying +p ammo before you wear the gun out with it.

The Glock manual states that you can use any SAAMI or NATO spec ammo. +p .45 ACP is a SAAMI spec if made by a SAAMI member company.

posted from my stupid smart phone, please excuse any spelling mistakes.
  15. ChiefWPD

Dec 25, 2004
    Guys, just a general comment. You're not going to wear out a barrel of a modern center fire, mainstream manufacture handgun. Furthermore, the odds of you wearing out a firearms mechanism is so remote as to be of little concern.

Just do the math; how many rounds are you putting down range on a regular basis and how many rounds would it take to "wear out" a barrel or handgun.

A 1911 of good quality should go somewhere around 10,000 rounds between weapon overhauls. A Glock, over 100,000 rounds.

Just sayin'