close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

+P not advisable?

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Ersatz0906, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906
    Expand Collapse

I went kanina sa Twinpines looking for a good ammo .40, all they have is dart tips, talisman, armscore and Eliminator +P.

so I ask the salelady that I want to buy the eliminator for my G27 (I bought my G27 in that store also) But she said its not good to use +P on Glocks because daw G barrels might not handle the +P bullets and it will crack. is this true?

the salelady is from Manila, sabi, yung daw ang advice nang Manila twinpines sa kanila.

Part of me saying G barrel can handle the loads but just wanna make sure...

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. cznayr

cznayr
    Expand Collapse
    Dis-member

Most gun officianados will say that glocks can't handle +P ammo primarily because the barrel of the glock for .40 and above calibers are not that supported in the 6 o'clock position or so they say. I do not know any instance here where a kB has resulted from using +p ammo on glocks here but in the states most gun slingers will advise against it as they have documented KBs from +p ammo on glocks .40 and above.

Mga BOGs any disclaimer to this?

3. mc_oliver

mc_oliver
    Expand Collapse

Even if kaya ng glock yung +P ammo, I doubt I'd want to shoot something of that power through a G27's small size. It's hard enough to control with factory loadings. Unless of course, yung practice loads ko eh puro +P's. ;)

4. horge

horge
    Expand Collapse
    -=-=-=-=-
    Lifetime Member

I have zero experience with shooting the caliber, but
    the preponderance of KB reports on the internet involving
    Glock .40S&W kaBooms (at standard pressure!) would
    give me some pause.

Ersatz, based on what I've read it isn't so much that
    the barrel or chamber will deform, but that the cartridge casewall
    will rupture where it isn't supported by the chamber, sending
    hot gases elsewhere and damaging the (polymer) pistol frame.

.40S&W chamber-support comparison:
    [​IMG]

Am I mistaken in the impression that .40S&W standard-pressure
    is itself already a 'high pressure' round, using 9mm Parabellum
    as a reference point?

5. cebuboy

cebuboy
    Expand Collapse
    toy soldier

yup the .40sw in its standard loading is a high pressure round, have not yet come accross a .40sw ammo marked +p. i think it is not safe to get any hotter than the standard loading, most of the pistols in that caliber are desinged around the 9mm. the manufacturers just stuck in a barrel with a bigger hole:)

6. toxic

toxic
    Expand Collapse

I heared from most shooters that "majority of KB's happen in 40 cal. overload daw ng powder is it true?

For Glocks and other pistol i would read the manual first if the barrel can take +P or +P+ ..Manufactures usually put " not suitable for +P or +P+" for one simple reason "safety" and for the validity of its warranty usually a year.
    Manufacturers im sure had performed several or even more test on all available rounds out there to thier pistol , so why gamble..Be safe man.

Its good twin pines warn you of the +P , i salute them Big time coz some stores wont give such warning , simply they just want to make a sale and dont care if you got hurt or hurt someone.

7. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906
    Expand Collapse

not sure but I think its true.

yup twin pines is a good gun store, they friendly and helpful. also pretty hehe ;f

8. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

i beg to disagree with most of you;f ...with a smile yan ha, anyway, first of all there is no such thing as a +p or +p+ in .40s&w, the most powerful .40 bullet i know is made by doubletap, owned by mike mcnett, also a GT member, it has a power factor of like 210, 200grains of XTP at 1050fps versus my corbons PF of 178, 135grains at 1325fps.

most of the kb's i have read about happened using reloaded ammo, there was a time when it happened to a lot of federal factory loaded ammo but i think this problem has already been addressed by federal, i will also discourage you from using pmc shells or pmc starfire ammo.

as for personal experience i have fired about a hundred rounds of corbon thru my gun and so far wala naman problema;f

but i think the most powerful bullet i have fired thru my g22 was a bullet loaded for a modified gun, major PF, sbi nila 7-8 grams daw laman nun, grabe! nung na recover namin ang shell grabe ang buntis, thing is when that same brew was fired thru a gun with a fully supported gunsmith fitted barrel walang kahit anong buntis and the owner of the modified gun uses his shells 10x daw before it cracks....so iba talaga ang gunsmith fitted fully supported barrel...kahit presyo nya iba din hehehehe;f ....pero then agen di ba maraming butas yung modified so cguro that relieves most of the pressure...

9. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906
    Expand Collapse

sir, whats the problem with pmc? and what shells do you recommend? is it ok to use armscore shells?

how can you say its time to use new shells? when you see a little cracks?

thanks

p.s. I forgot to mention, when I look at the butt of the eliminator walang naka sulat na +p...but twinpine insist that its a +p ammo

10. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

That's the reason too why I chose the 9mm over the .40 cal when I bought my NZ-85B from deenoh. The .40 was my first choice but with the KB incidents, I chose the 9mm. Takot ako masabugan e;f ;f.

Oh yeah its +P. From my dad's Feg .380, the recoil of the 60 gr. Eliminator is noticeably greater than the standard stuff. Same when I used to own a .38 snub and load them with 83 gr. Eliminators.

11. cznayr

cznayr
    Expand Collapse
    Dis-member

Ah yes, this is also true.. No such +p ammo in .40S&W.. The main reason is that it is, as horge mentioned, high pressure round already.

Ersatz,

Somebody gave me .40S&W ammo and said that it was +p. However, there was no +p marking either. Upon verification, gun experts say that it was not specially if it's factory ammo.

12. isuzu

isuzu
    Expand Collapse

I don't know if the section at www.chuckhawks.com is still open. It used to be free, but lately, it has been available to members only.

The section lists guns that can and cannot handle +P ammo. It was an extensive list.

13. New_comer

New_comer
    Expand Collapse

Go easy on your gun and it will serve you a long time.

If you need more boom, invest in a stronger gun. There's the 357, 41, and 44 magnum revolvers available at Twin Pines, trust trade and PBD. Last gunshow I saw a hand cannon from S&W at 50cal. ;P

For autos, there's the 357 SIG and the 45super, but I doubt they'd even make it here commercially. I was hoping they'll offer the 10mm here, but it looks slim. So, technically, we're left with the 38super as the only supercharged auto round. That is, if you're ready to deal with the terrible crack of a supersonic round let off in a self defense scenario. ;g

In the end, what counts is what you hit, not what you used. "A hit with a 22 is way better than a miss with a 44..." or so they say.

What do you want to achieve to begin with? ^8

14. toxic

toxic
    Expand Collapse

Cant say no more New_comer you got the words out of my mouth.( in this case my keyboard)

15. darwin25

darwin25
    Expand Collapse
    Make your move

If you need more boom take Doc EC's recipe. Kalburo and acetelyne mix.;z ;z ;z

16. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

pmc shells have a reputation for case failures, i've personally seen one happen on a taurus pt92, armscor shells are ok, i use my shells till it cracks, hehe i've even fired a bullet w/ a cracked shell just to see what will happen hehe, what are the specs for the .40 eliminator, i doubt if it is as powerful as corbon or doubletap, m. mcnett has fired more than 10,000 rnds of doubletap thru his g23 w/o problems:)

17. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906
    Expand Collapse

sir what shells do you use? tnx

18. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

halo-halo na, pero most of them are armscor:)

19. Ersatz0906

Ersatz0906
    Expand Collapse

sir atmarcella I forgot to ask you, are you using Stock Glock Barrel?

so what happen sa kamay nang owner nang taurus pt92? hindi na repairable yung pistol?

20. atmarcella

atmarcella
    Expand Collapse

yes, the taurus was ok, slide just got loose.