close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

+P for Glock 30 SF

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by tooexcessive, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas
    I read here that some individuals use +P ammo. What is the advantage of using this hot load? Showing my ignorance but learning. :dunno:

2. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    I use +P ammo in my G30..Winchester Ranger T & SXT Series (Talon)..Also use Federal +P HST...It does NOT hurt your G30 to shoot these..!!

3. +P loads are generally a higher pressure and velocity load, mostly
    intended for self defense or police work, and usually loaded with
    some type of hollow point bullet that will expand, but stay intact.
    Most of the major ammo makers put out some type of +P, and
    even some a +P+ load.
    Most of us shoot the regular velocity ammo for target shooting,
    plinking, competition, etc., and save the +P loads for serious work.
    You can go to youtube and put in +P ammo and see some good
    demonstrations of what a +P load will do. Here's one.
    [ame]http://youtu.be/YcwaMwB13Gg[/ame]

The Glock 30 will eat +P loads just fine, it's a sturdy gun.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that is the way to learn.
    You can also go to some of the major ammo makers websites,
    Federal, Remington, Speer, Winchester, etc., and compare their
    +P loads to the regular ammo, to see the difference in velocities,
    and performance.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I run HST +P rounds in my G30 and it loves them :supergrin: Glocks eat any kind of ammo and the +p loads are no exception.

Generally speaking, +p loads will have more ft/lbs when they impact the target. People debate whether that is important but I believe it is, especially in 9mm. That said, it will also (generally) recoil harder than standard loads. I run +p in some guns, standard in others. Some guns handle recoil better than others and you have to weigh the 'one shot knockdown power' vs follow up shot speed. Only you can make the call as to which is more important.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  5. AK47Man

AK47Man Expert Marksman

Feb 7, 2007
    Missouri
    +1 Plouffedaddy...I use these rounds in my G30 as my daily glovebox....

6. kvtcomdo

kvtcomdo

Jan 17, 2012
    Texas
  7. barth

barth six barrels

Oct 7, 2011
    The Free Zone
    My understanding is that Glocks are build across the board to run hot NATO style ammo.
    (+P or +P+ in any caliber should be good to go)

Like everybody pretty much is saying.
    +P = More velocity, more energy, more recoil.

Small calibers like 9mm - I think it matters a lot.
    Large Caliber .45 - Not so much.

Shoot both and see if you prefer one over the other???

Personally,
    I'm running 230 gr Winchester Ranger Ts in my Sig P220.
    But -
    1) My P220 IS NOT +P rated
    2) I can feel the recoil difference
    3) I've got a 5.5" barrel so I'm getting good velocity from the standard round.

In 45 I don't feel under-powered without +P (~400 E/P+ ~500E)
    And the standard pressure round is soft and easy to shoot on target.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. thinkfast

thinkfast

Aug 24, 2003
    Hoosierville
    The advantage would be the increased velocity at which the bullet leaves the barrel compared to a similar load in non +p. However, before you let anyone bully you into buying +p, know this: standard max pressure for 'regular' .45 is 21000 psi, and .45+p is 23000. So there's a bit more oomph, but it's not like +p is some double or triple power magic bullet of death.

9. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaverton Oregon
    It's interesting that the FBI recommends against +P JHP ammo because it expands so quickly and completely on impact that its penetration is usually significantly less than standard loads. The FBI report stresses penetration and weight retention above all else - make of that what you will.
    http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Fackler says that the modern JHP ammo manufacturers attempt to cheat the statistics by making slugs that open slowly and late to maximize penetration but still leave a nice big "flower" at the far end.

I carry a very old-fashioned round and in an even older caliber: 230 gr. .45ACP Rem Golden Sabre. IMO high reliability beats high tech any day of the week.

10. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    What you get is a increase in velocity and energy at the expense of more recoil and more wear and tear on the gun. How much of a benefit is there to be had from +P ammo? IMHO, not much and certainly not enough to justify the increase in recoil and wear on the gun. If I feel the need for +P, I'll go to the next larger caliber.

YMMV. :wavey:

11. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Dec 26, 2011
    I know as far as 9mm in 124g Speer Gold Dot's, the standard pressure and +P version differences are significant enough for me. There are some videos showing the expansion differences online with similar penetration characteristics.

Then from a 4" barrel you get about 70 fps and 50 ft/lbs of energy more with the 124g +P load. That is enough for me to carry +P with the extra recoil.

As far as .45 ACP, I really do not know if it's worth it or not. I would have to test the recoil first, because I would imagine a .45 +P might be too much for most.

12. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas
    Plouffedaddy....where did you find your HST +P ammo? Everything I read, it is for law enforcement only.

13. Dave Nowlin

Dave Nowlin Fisher of Men

Dec 20, 2011
    Savannah, Tn.
    And that next larger caliber would be........... Remember we are already talking about .45a.c.p. here in a Glock. The next larger caliber is???

14. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    I'm military and had to show my credentials to buy it originally at our local LE dealer but I know there's plenty of sites that let you buy it without any credentials. I know a couple people at my range that use mahsupplies.net and have nothing but good things to say about them. Sometimes they sell it at below LEO cost; I've picked up a box or 10 from them as well :supergrin:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  15. tooexcessive

tooexcessive

Jan 16, 2012
    Kansas
    Plouffedaddy, Got it...Thank you for your response!

16. I run HST +Ps through my USPc .45, approximately the same size gun as the G38 and the advantages are, well, hotter ammo. Probably getting around 870-900fps out of the short barrel, not bad. Disadvantage is more muzzle blast and muzzle flip, definitely noticeable but it's a trade off.

17. 7.62FMJ

7.62FMJ

Aug 8, 2003
    Ohio
    Anybody have any pictures of your factory Glock barrel with a 45 casing to show how supported it is? For some reason I'm thinking the one I got (30SF) is majorly under supported.

18. Creatism

Creatism

Dec 25, 2011
    I just used up the last of +p in 45. I carry a 36 and really don't like the recoil of +p in that gun. Felt recoil can be more with +p so try it first. Like I said with my gun I don't like the recoil of +p in it, so I run standard pressure 230 either pdx or hydroshock!

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

19. anomaly13

anomaly13

May 15, 2012
    Austin, Texas
    I use a DPM recoil rod in my g30 and i have a storm lake extended barrel....tried regular and +P flavors of HST...i still don't care for the extra recoil/flip of +P, even with my rod (and it absorbs a very noticeable amount of recoil)....for me though, quicker follow up shots are of more importance....and looking at the numbers from here -

http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx

- the difference between the fps/ft lbs of the two is negligible....getting hit by either is going to leave a mark....