close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

ownership vs right to ccw

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by sixgun2, Feb 22, 2012.

1. sixgun2

sixgun2
    Expand Collapse
    packin heat

Morning guys, this is for the legal beagles of GT. I regurlarly travel between Ont an NY, Pa, OH for competitions an training as I possess ATF permits to enter the US with my firearms, hense is why I'm somewhat the go to guy around here for questions about firearm an ccw related laws in the US. Question I'm somewhat confused about an would like clarification on is an American citizen/resident who lawfull an legally owns an possesses a pistol, can he/she be denied a ccw permit for the state they reside in. I'm of the opinion that if you can legally be in possesion of a weapon there should be no road blocks in aquiring a ccw.
    Any thoughts
    Thx sixgun:wavey:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

3. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

Illinois, for instance, doesn't allow CCW at all. It all varies from state to state, and you have to check each state's law regarding carry and usage.

4. sixgun2

sixgun2
    Expand Collapse
    packin heat

I might of not explained it properly, the issue is not a reciprosity thing, however strictly a state resident given right that if you can legally own a weapon are you entitled to the right to carry. I'm aware of the conditions as you stated about ccw reciprosity between states. Thx for the reply.:wavey:

5. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

You're welcome. Out of curiosity, is this a New York handgun thing?

6. sixgun2

sixgun2
    Expand Collapse
    packin heat

No sir, this is for any individual US citizen, lawful US resident from any state.:wavey:

7. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

Just wondering. I think that NY (state) allows CCW if you are able to get a handgun permit. Ohio for instance, gun ownership is completely independent of the ability to CCW.

8. DoogieHowser

DoogieHowser
    Expand Collapse
    Eh

100% dependent on the state, some are shall issue some are may issue. No one can give you a state wide answer.

9. PinkoCommie

PinkoCommie
    Expand Collapse
    Unusual Member

In Colorado, you can, in most cases, get a CCW if you can legally possess a handgun. However, there is no training requirement before buying a gun. In order to get a CCW permit, you must complete an approved class. You could therefore legally possess a handgun and still be denied a CCW if you do not satisfy the training requirement.

10. ChinaCave

ChinaCave
    Expand Collapse

NY State here - Ridiculous doesn't BEGIN to cover it.

My County of Westchester (North of NY City) grudgingly allows ownership of pistols, nearly NO CCW. There is a SAF lawsuit regarding this right now. Next Co. North, Putnam, no problem, and residents of that co. can, of course, CCW in MY county. But not me.

Next door in CT? - Out of state not resident CCW? SURE - just send a check and some paper work . Ditto PA to my west.

It burns me up.

Wish I was Canadian!

11. CJStudent

CJStudent
    Expand Collapse
    Fenced In

That's Kentucky's standard as well.

12. razdog76

razdog76
    Expand Collapse
    Heavy Mettle

Yea, but you might have to get longer barrels for your pistols... course you could get shorter barrels for your shotguns.:supergrin:

13. Agent6-3/8

Agent6-3/8
    Expand Collapse

In the great state of West "by God" Virginia you are free to purchase and open carry handguns with the exception of 3 cities with ordinances banning OC. Their laws were in place prior to a change in law and grandfathered in. In order to obtain a CCW you must submit a certificate of training (NRA course, etc) along with your application. As long as you are legally able to posess a firearm and have completeed some sort of basic training class you shall be issued a permit to carry a conceal handgun.

14. L-1

L-1
    Expand Collapse

California is a "may issue" state.

The more populated the county, the harder it is to get a CCW permit.

15. Patchman

Patchman
    Expand Collapse
    Florist

As others have noted, handgun laws are state specific.

But generally, being allowed to own a handgun is NOT the same as being allowed to conceal carry the handgun.

#15 Patchman, Feb 22, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  16. sixgun2

sixgun2
    Expand Collapse
    packin heat

A qik note of thanks, I was some what not surprised as there's roughly about 48,000 laws nationwide pertaining to weapon laws. :wavey: