close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outfitting a G19 with Trijicon RMR and suppresser sights

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by Cole125, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I am thinking about outfitting my G19 with a Trijicon RMR and suppressor sights. Are there any services that you can send your Glock 19 slide and they can preform these installations for you?

Also pics of Glocks with RMRs would be cool too. :cool:

2. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

3. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

This is my G19 with SI slide. Genie has a ton of pics of his.
    [​IMG]

This is my G34 that they milled the slot in and coated in what they call Aqua Terra.
    [​IMG]

4. lostone1413

lostone1413

5. MikeSantor

MikeSantor

Mark is the man. Fast, great CS and impeccable work...

[​IMG]

6. WhiskeyUnicorn

WhiskeyUnicorn Mall Ninja Extraordinaire

Do it! Best decision I ever made. I have a Gen 4 17 w rmr and its amazing.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1426836

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. Genin

Genin 19k & 11b

I love my TSD Glock 19. I got mine from OneSourceTactical. It has been 100% reliable and just all around amazing:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jdsumner

jdsumner

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  9. silversport

silversport

...another fan of OST/TSD...mine's on a G17,,,

Bill

10. JakAttak

JakAttak

11. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Looks good folks. What is the general consensus (preference wise) on the backup rear sight being in front or behind the RMR? I have not had the opportunity to handle one yet. I am assuming true co-witness with suppressor sights?

12. lostone1413

lostone1413

I like the backup sight behind the RMR to me it is a more natural way to sight.

13. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

For my subcompact Glock, there was no question in my mind that the better arrangement was to have the rear backup sight mounted in the standard dovetail and behind the RMR. There were a few reasons upon which I based my decision:

1. Moving the rear sight in front of the RMR sacrifices a large percentage of the sight radius distance on a subcompact pistol that is already short.

2. The tall suppressor sights are intended to be functional backup sights in case of RMR failure. BUIS in the standard locations leverage the thousands of repetitions and long hours of training that one has practiced with iron sights and at the maximum possible sight radius for the pistol. Incidentally, those familiar iron sights are a big help to speed up the training process as you learn to use the red dot sight. In the beginning, it cuts down on the frustration of "searching for the dot". As you become more proficient using the RDS, the BUIS become less important over time.

3. Tritium lamps on the front and rear suppressor sights are a definite advantage to orient the pistol quickly in low light and get the red dot on target. I've tried it both with and without tritium lamps in timed exercises. Any part of the RMR that momentarily obstructs your view of the rear tritium lamps as the pistol is drawn and presented is a disadvantage in my opinion.

4. If the rear sight dovetail remains stock, the pistol can be returned to near stock function and appearance by removing the RMR and installing in its place a slide cover plate custom milled for the slide cutout.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012
  14. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Both of you above...thanks, solid reasoning. Are the suppressor sights tall enough to co-witness properly or is it just close enough for government work?

15. lostone1413

lostone1413

You will have no trouble using the suppressor sights. I have the Trijicon RM07 sometimes I shut the dot off just to be able to shoot using the iron sights or shoot by just sighting looking through the RMR window

16. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Thanks for the reply and also for the link in your first post....

17. JakAttak

JakAttak

Pros,
    1) If the dot is low in the window of the RMR the rear sight won't hide it from view. You'll still be able to put the dot on target and make your shot.

2) The front sight should be the 1st thing that enters the periphery of your vision as you index the gun toward the target. Even with the dot your focus should shift from the target to the front sight as the gun reaches full extension. After all the dot may be broken and then you'll need to be focused on the front sight to make an accurate shot. If the dot is on then you can let your focus shift back to the target. Just so we're clear the progression is front sight, top of RMR housing, front sight again, then the dot and then LAST and most certainly least the rear sight. If this isn't how you're seeing things as the gun is indexed toward the target, then your doing something wrong. Quit it. :)

3) A much wider selection of holsters will work without modification.

4) It protects the window from brass, lube and carbon fouling. It still gets crap on it, just far less.

5) It places both sights on the same side of the RMR's tint and optical distortion, making both sight equally easy to focus on. If the rear is clear of the afore mentioned optical impediments it would be more difficult to get that all important front sight focus should you actually need to use the irons. Personally I don't want my rear sight easier to see than the front.

Cons.

1) It's harder to clean the front of the window.

2) It kinda looks funny.

And that's it. If someone tells you that the rear sight is somehow used to find the dot tell them to take up golf, or checkers maybe.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  18. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

....Yes I fully agree, I have dealt with this issue many times with soldiers and collimator sights on M4's. Another thing that drives me crazy is mounting it way back like a standard scope....Drives me up the wall.

.....but that was not what I was referring to. I wanted to know if there was true co-witness which by default would enable standard use of sights through the RMR in the event the dot is inop). In other words does the RMR and standard sights have a different POA/POI (when used independantly). Sounds like it's not an issue

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: This pic answers my question, don't know how I completely missied it...sorry for the confusion folks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  19. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

The more experienced gunsmiths that mill slides for optics will bore sight the pistol with RDS if the customer supplies the barrel and recoil spring assembly. The best gunsmiths will file down the height of the front sight to achieve the co-witness alignment that the customer prefers. Some shooters like the red dot to sit on top of the front sight and others prefer the dot just below the top of the front sight. It's something to ask about when shopping around for a company to mill your slide.

20. JakAttak

JakAttak

Most people including myself sight their guns in to hit at the top of their front sight. Well I use to. :) After a bunch of time behind a dot sighted pistol, for me it was C-more sighted STI's, I found that I could no longer shoot the top of the front sight under stress. Slow fire was fine but once I turned on the afterburner with an iron sighted gun I would use the dot on the front sight just like the dot on the C-more. Cover up the target and bang. So now all my iron sighted guns are sighted in to hit the middle of the dot instead of the top of the post.

Ameriglo will happily send you a different height front sight so you can obtain whatever kind of co-witness you desire. Just a warning though, after some time behind a dot sighted pistola you'll probably change your mind about what kind you desire. :) Some of the best IPSC shooters in the world have the same problem I do. And they shoot way more than I.