close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Outdoor Range First Time---Kicked Off Range Within 30 Minutes

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by dyobvk, Mar 18, 2012.

1. dyobvk

dyobvk
    Expand Collapse

I bought a Mossberg 930 SPX and since none of the indoors ranges in my area alow shotguns to be shot I find an outdoor range that allows shotguns but the rounds must be slugs. I fire 50 rounds through it with only one FTF on the last round. I just wanted to get the feel because I have never shot or own a shotgun. So after I am done I want to fire my Glock 23 and try the 40-9 barrel and Glock 30 45-10 barrel. So I have to wait because the line is hot. When the line is cold I set up my target and when they say shooters lock and load and commense firing. I do. I empty one magazine, release it and load second. I am so into it all of the sudden the female range office taps me on the shoulder I put the gun down and she says your left thumb should be on the left side of the gun, not rapped around the gun over the bottom of your right thumb. The slide will hit your thumb. I told her due to my large hands I feel more comfortable with my left thumb over my right thumb. I try what she suggest but it just does not work. Rounds are high and right. I change and I am dead on. She walks by again and she interrupts me. She tells me to move my thumb to left side or leave the range. I tell her I am off when I shoot like that. She ask me to leave because she sees a injury in the making. I say are u serious.

I understand what she was saying but I am off when I shoot that way. So I left. I was mad I just packed up and left.

I am just venting. It started to rain hard so I was going to leave anyway. I didnt like the range because you have to sit on this stool to shoot our weapon and shoot through this 12 x 12 inch window. I rather be standing when I shoot.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

She was right - your left thumb wrapped over the back of your right hand is a SERIOUS injury waiting to happen. Dislocated or broken thumb, major lacerations, or worse. Continuing to use a grip like that is a trip to the emergency room in the making.

Spend some time working on a thumbs-forward grip at home (after making DAMN sure the gun is completely unloaded, of course) and start getting used to it. Use a fixed point on the wall and practice dry-firing with the proper grip (Again - Make ABSOLUTELY SURE your weapon is empty)to make sure your'e not slapping or jerking the trigger, too, since the adjusted grip could induce that kind of problem.

#2 WoodenPlank, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

I don't see how you can shoot like that, thumbs forward is so much more comfortable for me.

4. T-Rod45

T-Rod45
    Expand Collapse
    Loves The Glock

:agree:

Only time I use thumb over thumb is on a J-Frame... Sometimes. Bad idea on an auto...

5. 9jeeps

9jeeps
    Expand Collapse

Well now>>> There you have it. Do it right or go home!

6. stmcelroy

stmcelroy
    Expand Collapse
    Holster Maker

Seems like somebody let the RSO title go to their head.

7. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Sounds to me that an RO possibly saved the OP from a trip to a hospital. An RO's job is to see and stop any unsafe conditions, gun handling, or accidents. She did exactly that.

8. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT
    Expand Collapse
    Resident Evil

That range sounds annoying. You should have told her to be quiet as you were doing "man things" and to go make you a sammich. :whistling: :tongueout:

Questions:

Was she hot? If so maybe she could have slid up next to ya and showed you how's it done. Hubba, hubba.

How were her teeth?

Does she own a Bravia?

Take a picture of this grip you were using. Were you holding it like a revolver? Both thumbs on the left side, or were you wrapping your left thumb around the rear of the pistol and over top of the web of your right thumb or something? If so, I agree don't do that with an auto.

We need answers to the above to provide further feedback.

Sorry you had a bad time. Hope you find a nice place to go shooting.

#8 HKLovingIT, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  9. chris in va

chris in va
    Expand Collapse

I've pointed that out to a few people on the line, but never noticed the RO actually telling someone to go home for doing so.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

Given the choice of telling someone to go home, or that someone going back to a dangerous grip after having it pointed out twice, which would YOU do?

Same deal with someone shooting a revolver and their hand next to the cylinder gap.

11. Ewalk

Ewalk
    Expand Collapse

:rofl:
    funniest comments I have ever seen here! Literally LoL'd! (scared my dog)

12. Smooth_squeeze

Smooth_squeeze
    Expand Collapse

That's a great line...!! I can just see it: "Schweetie, jest hush yo' mouf. I's doin' maan things right now. Can you go make me a sammich, wit' ham'n'cheese on rye?"

And then wait for something to happen, probably not very nice. :rofl:

13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall
    Expand Collapse
    HildabeastHater

She was right.
    Maybe unskilled & tactless, but still right.

I don't want some newb next to me ripping open his flesh with a loaded pistol in his hand, dancing around screaming in pain, spraying bullets everywhere.

Before your bad habits become totally ingrained, learn proper techniques. There are many excellent books, dvds, and classes available. Here's one example of a proper grip:

[​IMG]

14. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

:agree:

15. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE
    Expand Collapse
    Leonum A Ignis

Required viewing...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48"]Todd Jarrett on pistol shooting. - YouTube[/ame]

16. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon
    Expand Collapse

I side with the RSO. I would wonder what other safety principals the shooter wasn't initiated on too.

17. Chesafreak

Chesafreak
    Expand Collapse

The range is a business that has injuries and insurance to consider and prevent. IMO, I think the RO did the right thing to prevent an injury on the range. His grip is an injury waiting to happen. Just because he has gotten comfortable with that grip doesn't make it right. Eventually its going to bite him.

18. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on whether she handled it in a professional manner. She was right though. I have seen shooters loose skin and blood shooting with the hold you describe. My dad made exactly the same statement you did. After the second time we had to address blood loss from his left thumb knuckle at the range, he started holding the handgun properly. I've also seen it a couple other times in classes. Pain is an excellent teacher, but it's easer to just do it correctly before you get that kind of education.

19. hogship

hogship
    Expand Collapse
    It's MY Island

Looks like the OP hasn't been back after the initial post.......he's probably letting the input take it's course, and contemplating. This is good. There has been a lot of good reasoned commentary here. Anyone who puts their left thumb around the back side of an automatic, is going to get bit sooner or later.

I've seen that Todd Jarret video before.....it's good. OP, you should check that out.

ooc

20. Bruce M

Bruce M
    Expand Collapse

Damned opposable thumbs...