close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Out of State Police Stops

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by philipk, Apr 1, 2012.

1. philipk

philipk
    Expand Collapse

What information do police get when running an out of state license plate.

I live in Ohio and when in state a police officer runs my plates they see I have a CCW permit.

When I am out of state what information do the local police have when they run my license plate?

In the summer of 2010, I was stopped for speeding in New York State and was given a verbal warning by a sheriff's deputy.

The first question he asked me was did I have firearms in the car. Truthfully, I said no.

When he ran a check on my license plate, did it show that I had a CCW?

2. PghJim

PghJim
    Expand Collapse

I follow the laws of the state I am in. First, I would never carry a gun into NY State. I am from PA and my CCW permit does not require me to disclose I have a weapon while I am in PA. As to whether it shows on the information he looks up, I would say, probably, but I have never been asked or told. I have been stopped many times in the past 20 years. Now if he asks me, I have to tell him that I am carrying and show him my permit. In a state that recognizes a PA permit like WV and KY, I follow the state laws pertaining to concealed carry. If the state requires disclosure whenever I am confronted by an office, I disclose. I do not think a state patrol in WV or KY has information that tells them I have a CCW permit, but it might. I would always assume they know.

In PA, I do not disclosed when pulled over, but some people have told me they have had good experiences when they have told the officer they were carrying.

#2 PghJim, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  3. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

You should put this in Cop Talk - when I was a cop, we got the same info, whether out of state or in state, but that was before the wave of shall-issue CCW laws in the late 90's. Hasn't crossed my maind to ask, since, because I don't really care. The government issues the permit, so I don't think they are conspiring to find out if I have one.

#3 Bren, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. Paul53

Paul53
    Expand Collapse
    Geezer Boomer

Texas CCW permits have the same number as your license, so check one check all. I assume when out of state a license check will show the CCW data.

5. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard
    Expand Collapse
    The Anti-Glock

It's different with each state. Each state decides what info to send to NLETS.