close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Out of State Police Stops

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by philipk, Apr 1, 2012.

1. philipk

philipk

Mar 12, 2000
    NE Ohio
    What information do police get when running an out of state license plate.

I live in Ohio and when in state a police officer runs my plates they see I have a CCW permit.

When I am out of state what information do the local police have when they run my license plate?

In the summer of 2010, I was stopped for speeding in New York State and was given a verbal warning by a sheriff's deputy.

The first question he asked me was did I have firearms in the car. Truthfully, I said no.

When he ran a check on my license plate, did it show that I had a CCW?

2. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I follow the laws of the state I am in. First, I would never carry a gun into NY State. I am from PA and my CCW permit does not require me to disclose I have a weapon while I am in PA. As to whether it shows on the information he looks up, I would say, probably, but I have never been asked or told. I have been stopped many times in the past 20 years. Now if he asks me, I have to tell him that I am carrying and show him my permit. In a state that recognizes a PA permit like WV and KY, I follow the state laws pertaining to concealed carry. If the state requires disclosure whenever I am confronted by an office, I disclose. I do not think a state patrol in WV or KY has information that tells them I have a CCW permit, but it might. I would always assume they know.

In PA, I do not disclosed when pulled over, but some people have told me they have had good experiences when they have told the officer they were carrying.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

3. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    You should put this in Cop Talk - when I was a cop, we got the same info, whether out of state or in state, but that was before the wave of shall-issue CCW laws in the late 90's. Hasn't crossed my maind to ask, since, because I don't really care. The government issues the permit, so I don't think they are conspiring to find out if I have one.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    Texas CCW permits have the same number as your license, so check one check all. I assume when out of state a license check will show the CCW data.

5. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

May 23, 2010
    NJ
    It's different with each state. Each state decides what info to send to NLETS.