close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

OT: Newton Shows Need Stronger National Gun Laws

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by PsychoKnight, Dec 15, 2012.

1. PsychoKnight

PsychoKnight

Sep 30, 2006
    SoCal - SGV
    Forget the 2nd amendment. Not a right, but a responsibility. Need forceful gun laws to compel law-abiding, able-bodied citizens to maintain home custody and proficient handling of military long guns/handguns, following the lead of Israel and Switzerland.
    Virginia Tech, Columbine, Aurora, and now Newtown, all had a no-firearms policy at the locale. Restrictive gun control won't prevent massacres, but at least compulsive and pro-permit policies will increase the likelihood of immediate and effective response. Armed educators/adult students/moviegoers in these cases might have reduced deaths to a handful instead of tens of deaths. Feel bad for all the people hurting in Newton right now.
    Thanks for letting me vent, because in 1985, as a senior in high school, I visited my childhood church in L.A. chinatown in anticipation of hearing my favorite minister speak, and sat in the very first pew with my gf. I didn't get to hear him speak. As he sat 12' in front and facing me, I saw him take a 45 at point blank in the temple and then the beloved head deacon take two in the back as he began scrambling away from the pulpit, towards me. Evil bastard still had 77 rounds in 10 mags, and was on a body-count mission. I guess I was next. Literally, thank God there was an o.d. sheriff's deputy visiting w/ his 357 - nobody else pulled out anything the whole time, naturally.
    After that, not so much afraid to die, more afraid to be caught helpless watching people I care about around me die.
    Its gonna be the gun grabbers who will depend on us when it gets ugly, because by definition, they will be defenseless and useless. Thanks for putting up with me, these events just bring it all back. You never know when suddenly all those trips to the range will pay back in lives saved. I'm here today only because somebody chose to practice, and to pack.
    peace out -

Last edited: Dec 15, 2012

2. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
  3. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    CT has an AWB in place currently.(Clinton Era AWB) Notice how it did nothing to prevent anything. Food for thought.

4. PCJim

PCJim Senior Member

Aug 4, 2008
    FL
    I read a very interesting comment yesterday in one of the CNN article's responses. The poster noted that the average age of those committing these acts was 17-30. It could very well be what our society has forced upon them. This generation has grown up with ever increasing violence in movies and video games, the internet where they sit for hours on end playing games or chatting on FB or the like, and as a result often never develop social skills for coping with problems. Everything is all for "me", and if I can't have it right now I'll throw a temper tantrum.

Don't get me wrong, as I have two children in this age group. But, the basic premise exists that not everyone comes thru the growing up process the same, and those outliers are the ones that the news media has a field day over (at the expense of the grieving families).

Gun control is absolutely not the answer, nor is registration. While I very much hate to bring this up, it is said that Hitler was able to easily accomplish his actions against the Jews by means of Germany's requirement to register guns. He knew who had them so rounding them up was a no brainer. The people were defenseless.

In this country, fortunately these misguided individuals have not resorted to much easier, far more deadly means of acting out. Everyone on this board can identify several other means using readily available household items to inflict far more damage in a crowd. Let's hope they don't think things thru.

Alcohol kills more people in this country than guns do and has far more impact on our health care costs, yet you see no one screaming out to ban alcohol. Its the same similarity as car and aircraft accidents - smaller events are accepted and basically go unnoticed, while the very rare but large event gets unbelievable news coverage. Go figure; I suppose its the only way they can boost ratings and bring in the revenues to justify their existence.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but we do need to get the message out. More controls and bans are not the answer. Moving our society back into physically socializing, teaching our children that only those that win get rewarded, pressuring the film and gaming industries to reduce the violence, and spending more time with our children instead of letting them self-babysit in front of a TV, Xbox or the internet is the path towards reducing these atrocious acts.

My heart goes out to those who lost loved ones in this tragedy, and in those before it.

5. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    The rpoblem is these people are nuts and we do nothing about it. %0years ago they would have been locked in a padded room. Now, they give them a few pills and a Dr. says they are fine as long as they are medicated. Of course, the stop taking their meds and go berserk.

Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again. Only in America is the slaughter of children not enough to sober the country up enough to realize that school teachers should have a pistol.

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    Israel is a good example of how to handle these things. The PLO used to attack Israeli schools. Then Israel armed it's teachers. It never happened again.

First thing I said to my Sis (roomate) when I heard the news.

7. n2extrm

n2extrm

Feb 24, 2009
    Wisky I have said the same thing so many times. Why is it the people who are screaming to "disarm the masses and ban the evil guns" are the same people who want everyone who actually committed the offense to be forgiven and released?

Makes no sense to me at all.

8. Too many bad guys have guns. This will never change

Not enough good guys have guns. This needs to change

Good guys who don't have a gun should get one and learn how to responsibly use and store it.

An innocent life may depend on it one day.

For me that about sums it up.

Gun grabbers can go f' themselves.

9. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    Take your political crap and move it to the proper forum.

10. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    Just because you put OT in front of it does not make it OK.

11. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    :crying:

12. EL_NinO619

EL_NinO619 EX-Swage Monkey

Aug 11, 2010
    San Diego
    I am all for staying on topic, but anyone who has been on here long enough knows every once in awhile we stray. We try to keep in to a minimum but it happens, this is almost a sub forum, GTR. I think its alright to go "OT" every now and then, Don't all friends stray to random off topic conversations..:whistling:

13. shotgunred

shotgunred local trouble maker

Mar 1, 2008
    Washington (the state)
    Your not a contributor to this forum so why do you care?

14. jmorris

jmorris

Apr 13, 2006
    As long as we are off topic, you do know that while the AWB sunset federally CT inacted it's own state level AWB. So to argue that the entire nation should follow their lead in preventing crimes like these, would be illogical at best.

15. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Glad you brought that up. Another thing the media ignored.

If anyone wants to read CT law regarding "assault weapons".

http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/law/firearms.htm

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  16. I'm with you El Nino. I consider the gentlemen and ladies that frequent this board upstanding individuals and I value their opinions. We have a unique crew here. I am just as happy to hear their opinion on important events as on the Lee FCD.

17. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

Mar 6, 2003
    Lynnwood, WA
    We were having dinner with one of my best shooting buddies last night and his wife. He's a school district administrator and she is a teacher. Learned something I wasn't aware of... TEXAS allows teachers to carry concealed with proper qualifications.

18. dkf

dkf

Aug 6, 2010
    Well we both learned something new.:wavey: