close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Original iPad Threads

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by certifiedfunds, Mar 9, 2012.

1. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Its not quite 2 years old and I was thinking back to all of the bashing threads (feminine hygiene jokes etc) that were floating around.

Lots of folks thinking Apple was out of their mind with this product. People (myself included) trying to figure out why they would want one: "just a big iphone except it doesn't even make calls".

Then one guy posted a link to the mac forums when they launched the iPod for some perspective.

And now, Apple is selling more iPads than any pc maker is selling pc's across its entire product line.

I used my best search fu but can't seem to get far enough back. If anyone knows how I thought it would be fun to revisit considering how ubiquitous the product has become.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. Deanster

Deanster Cheese? Millennium Member CLM

It's just a big iPod Touch, you know. Maybe a few Apple fanboiz will buy one, and then not use it for anything.

3. mace85

mace85 NRA GOA USPSA

I use mine daily, however between my schooling, and work I can justify the need for a tablet with cloud syncing. It is really better for some things than a full size computer or a cell phone. My favorite method is to sync a bluetooth keyboard to my phone and type using the pages app while using the iPad to view study materials.

4. Glock13

Glock13

The niche that the iPad filled was huge. I used to hate carrying around a laptop, especially when traveling. I don't have a smartphone, so for me I usually carry it wherever I go...about the same as carrying a magazine around. It is also much more user friendly than using a smartphone due to the screen size.

5. Airhasz

Airhasz

Love my IPad...had it for over a year and use it daily..so portable, but if I need to do any computing....head right to the laptop!

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

:supergrin: Yeah that stuff. Wish I could dig it back up. Thinking of the threads the day jobs introduced it.

7. Resqu2

Resqu2

My IPad 1 is still going strong but I really really want the new one that just came out.

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

I was of that exact mindset too when the original was announced. Then I really started thinking about whether it could be a suitable replacement for toting a laptop everywhere. As a network administrator I use it everywhere. I have an iPad2 with 3G. Cisco VPN connection and remote desktop on a screen that size is perfect. I can't even begin to tell you how valuable of a tool it is. I am far from an Apple fanboi too. I have tried the alternatives from Android, and they are garbage in comparison as far as battery life and stability go.

9. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

I saw it coming almost 20 years ago. With that Apple PDA back in the day. That had such potential, but technology was nowhere NEAR what was needed to make that thing work right. :(

When Apple came out with the iPhone, I said many times the day they figure out a tablet, the game is over.

When they came out with the iPad I, I said, in my best Will-from-S.o.G.-voice, "This here is a gayum changahr." Then I told Chris to scream into the camera and get close to this to see if he could lurnsum'in. (Sorry. LOL)

People pooh-pooh'd them to the N'th degree. They are HERE TO STAY. Get rid of Flash and it will replace a ton of PC's out there. And no one has a handle on "second place." The cost difference is double. . . or about $200-300. Double the cost at $1,000 is a big deal. Double the cost at $200-250 isn't. People aren't slowed down by it.

I'm waiting for Amazon to realize they'll have to offer the free lending liberry to Kindle App folk just to keep interest in Prime up. :)

We are Borg - and we are iPad!!!!! LOL

10. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

After a few months with my 1st iTouch I was wishing for a larger version.

11. Roger1079

Roger1079

Adobe has abandoned development of Flash for mobile devices completely. The team will continue to provide stability and security updates, but as far as advancing the features, Flash is at the end of the road.

They actually even had the nerve to blame Apple for the failure of Flash in the mobile market. Apple stated tons of good reasons why it refused to adopt the technology on it's mobile devices and even stated that it would change it's position if Adobe would make some changes which they did not.

Flash will be around for a long time to come and isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but it's demise for HTML5 is definitely coming.

12. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I have an iPad 1 and use it daily. I'm an IT Systems Engineer and having something so portable makes it easy to work remotely without lugging around a laptop. I have a ZAGGmate keyboard/screen cover for mine and use the Citrix Receiver to run Windows desktops and apps. I can open Outlook or a Windows desktop or other apps faster from my iPad than I can startup a laptop and get to work.

I would like to get the iPad 2 or 3 but don't have a solid reason to spend the cash on one other than having a camera on it.

13. raven11

raven11

I can see in a couple of years (barring funding) these will be incredibly popular in the military. pilots can have a knee-board for their aircraft, and charts for every airport in the world constantly updated

on the maintenance side of the house to fix just aircrew gear we had 10 thousand page Technical Order (T.O.) books that took up a entire bookshelf just to do our jobs every day and had to be updated periodically. if we could slim it down to a ipad a airman it would revolutionize how we did our jobs not just in the time and space saved with the books but they could be updated exactly when a new edition came out

14. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

In the Navy working on H-60 helos, we had Panasonic Tuffbooks with IETMs tech manuals. The Tuffbooks were heavy to lug around along with other tools, ladders, and gear. Having the IETMs on a tablet would have been nice. Now that I'm in the IT field, I read all of my tech manuals and certification study guides on my iPad. Its so easy to pinch and zoom that I don't need my glasses to read from it.

15. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I don't think the pilots and aircrew would accept a tablet the size of the iPad. I think some of the smaller Android tablets would be perfect for knee-boards.

16. mace85

mace85 NRA GOA USPSA

Isn't the Air Force buying something like 18,000 of them or something ?

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA Get off my lawn

OK, now I'm just being goofy:

Can I get one of these pre-ban threaded iPads in Massachusetts? LOL Are they hicap? Folding stock?

18. JK-linux

JK-linux

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  19. chris in va

chris in va

Wasn't there a rumor of a 7" iPad at some point? I like the size of my friend's Fire...just hate the way it works.

20. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Here's my take on it.

I won a base model IPadII, 16G no cellular.

I took it NIB to an Apple store, and traded it.

Added 100 to get 32gig.
    Another 129 for Verizon

My total in is 229, plus a cheap smartcover. 250ish.

Its worth that. Could not get excited about full price knowing what I know now.

Is it handy? Yes.
    Nice to be light, and portable and inconspicuous.
    I have yet to cough up a dime for cellular connection.
    I am glad I have the option if I ever need it in a pinch.
    I find it great for any wifi environment.

Its greatest use is "static" surfing. By this I mean,
    Many things I go to on the web are reference points. Maps.
    Lookup this and that.
    For things that got repetitive,
    I go there on my mac,

A. Download .pdfs, or
    B. Do a screen cap with the Mac, then save as .pdf.

All the accumulated .pdfs, be they manuals, maps, screen caps, tables, references, documents, etc

Are stored on the IPAD.
    Use iBooks, create groups for the .pdf, end up using it like a file system.

So, I can static surf without needing to be connected to ANYTHING. No need to find a wifi signal, no need to hook up the cellular thing. Maps are awesome, snap a pic of that google map for a certain area.

Code samples for when Im consulting as a computer guy. Totally under the radar, not on anyone's system.

Can upload stuff too…use CamScanner to snap a pic of something and save it as a .pdf…email it later if speed isn't important!

Its great off the grid tech if you know how to manage it and have lots of repetitive lookups. Don't have to tote a bail of paper docs with me.

REcipes! Its in the kitchen a lot.

A media viewer. Saved videos, tv shows, movies, etc.