close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ordering 10mm brass, nickel plated ok?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by danattherock, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Looking at brass on Midway USA site and getting confused. My thought is I can easily separate my 10 mm brass (if nickel plated) from the 40 S&W brass. However, not sure if the nickel plating wears off. I will be tumbling my brass and keeping it clean. Just starting out in reloading and never bought components. Limited insight to say the least.

-Dan

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. MAGlock

MAGlock CLM

Nov 20, 2005
    Titusville, FL
    10mm brass is about 1/8" to 1/4" longer than a 40sw.

3. njl

njl

Sep 28, 2000
    :noitacoL
    Isn't nickel-plated more prone to splitting?

4. bdhawk

bdhawk

Mar 18, 2000
    zero expeience with nickle-plated 10MM or .44 MAG brass, but with everything else, in my experience, nickle has a shorter lifespan due to cracking.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Stick with brass. Sorting isn't that big of deal, IMO.

6. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

Jun 12, 2002
    North Carolina
    Yes it is.

7. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Dec 20, 2002
    Minnesota
    I've never had any trouble with nickel plated brass, but brass is cheaper.

The plating is not going to come off in the tumbler.

If the length difference doesn't become obvious, 10mm and .40 brass is easy to keep separated by glancing at the primer/primer pocket. Large is 10mm, small is .40.

8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

Jan 25, 2008
    Clarksville, Tn.
    I would go for regular brass myself, easy to seperate 40 from 10 at least for me.
    Get twice as much as you think you will need and that is my experience. :wavey:

9. Kwesi

Kwesi

Sep 23, 2006
    TX
    Go for the nickel. While some say it is more prone to splitting, my personal experience is just the opposite in 10mm. All my brass is Starline & most loads are at or near max as published in my load books. I have had more splits with the regular brass. It is sure easy to spot at my range!

10. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Agree. I have nickel plated 10mm brass from DT ammo several years ago that has over a dozen full power reloads on it. No splits.

11. Keoking

Keoking

Jan 4, 2005
    Rowlett, TX
    Same experience here. I used to segregate my 10mm brass by the number of times it was shot (all nickel plated). To see if I was wasting my time, I reloaded the same couple of cases 10+ times and they never split. Caveat: KKM barrel, not Glock OEM. Even with a max load, I could put the fired cases back into the barrel or case gauge without resizing.