Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by mntrpr, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

I have an EOTECH with a magnifier on my AR. It has the bullet drop for the .223 The thing about it, though, is I need the magnifier just to see the bullet drop red dots, especially in direct sunglight.

That is the one failing about EOTECH is it will wash out in bright light. I would recommend a BUS to see your front sight when using a red dot like EOTECH.

EOTECHS are tough, and can take abuse, but like most red dots, bright light is their enemy.

There are some cheap green dots out there that people swear by, they are not EOTECH quality; but they are not EOTECH price either.

I was considering putting a Sightmark Z on my little Yugo PAP92 pistol. It is a green dot, and not that expensive. Besides, I really don't plan on shooting that thing beyond 25 yards anyway. If I like it, I will probably mount it on my MAK 90 for 100 yards.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. I just pulled my EOTECH 552 to switch to the TAC30. I feel that the speed is the same, the optic is brighter (It is etched black and red when powered) I can easily use both eyes open (I use a Burris PEPR for a forward mount as I have my face against the charging handle)

I can just barely popup my rear sight and while it is difficult I can sort of cowitness, though that is one area where the EOTECH was easier.

I had the 1 dot w/ ring reticle in the EOTECH so I rather like the BDC addition in my TAC30 but that point is moot.

I've not done a shoot house with it but with my informal testing of running through my house and the station combined with some shooting and moving on the range I would say that it works just as well for a CQB type sight but I'm a strong both eye open shooter already. If you were closer to me I'd let you play with it.

3. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Just for general info, I talked to Burris today by email.. They allow LE 2 purchases of optics/scopes a year at 50% off.........

Thats a good bit of change.
  4. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk Isaiah 53:4-9

Yeah, especially if you are looking at their Eliminators.
  5. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

No, just the AR332...... If I can get them to give me a price.....
  6. My guess is it's 50% off of MSRP, which is still a decent discount over what you can buy one through a retailer for. Here's their 2013 price list:

7. I'm running an old ass Eotech 554 on my 11.5in SBR. I keep drooling over the T1 aimpoints, but I've got this little nagging voice in the back of my head that keeps drawing me to the 1-4x variables. Thing is, I'm not sure I can justify it for an SBR, ya know? And so, the beat up old Eotech stays put until I can make up my damn mind, and come up with the necessary scratch for a T1 and mount.
  8. If you can deal with the weight and bulk and make good ammo choices, there's no reason not to put magnification on a SBR (if magnification is what you want). Velocity suffers, but accuracy generally doesn't.
    #28 rockapede, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. Yeah, I know all that in my head, but in practice I keep wrestling with the idea of putting a larger, heavier optic on what was originally supposed to be my lightweight, short, handy, entry carbine. As far as ammo goes I'm limited to 55grain xm193 per dept policy (don't ask). It's actually not too bad a performer out of an SBR or so I've heard.
  10. Ouch. You're looking at about 40-50 yards max fragmentation range for XM193 out of an 11.5 inch barrel, and even then, it's inconsistent. In that scenario, magnification may be in order because you really, really have to have great shot placement considering you're shooting a high velocity ice-pick outside of 50 yards.
  11. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Yup 50% off the price on the list... No tax ( I don't live in CO) and shipping for $7.00

Not too bad a deal.
  12. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA

I don't see it mentioned below, so...

LaRue mounts with quick release are amazing.

Buy an optic, put it on, sight in, remove optic.
    If you NEED an optic later on, put it back on.
    It is still sighted in and ready to go.
  13. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest
    1. The JBT's

If you are suggesting he do so on a duty rifle where they don't allow optics, I would advise against recommending such a thing.

If he were to shoot someone with it, the last thing he wants to be doing is yanking an unauthorized piece of equipment off a firearm he just used to take someones life.

It looks.... fishy.

If you are referring to his SHTF off duty toy.. then I agree. Larue is good stuff.
    #33 Cochese, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  14. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Fishy ain't the word I'd use, but it'll work......
  15. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA

You are trying to put words into my post that I didn't write. Stop that, it is very annoying.

I am only advising him on hardware. I did not advice him on policy or procedures.

Here is more words for those that want to add words to my post.
    If the policy changes, this works. If he is allowed to mount optics on the gun at range time, this works. If he is in a spot where he can use this as a demonstration tool of the differences between optics and non-optics guns, this works. If he wants to mount them on his personal rifle, this works. If he wants to run tests of different optics, it works. The LaRue hardware is the best. How you use it, is up to you.
  16. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Stop going on the defensive, it's annoying....... All Cheesy was trying to do is the same as you were provide a viewpoint...

It's a valid one.... Violating policy is a no no and even more so when it comes to deadly force. He simply asked if you were providing advice on violating a policy....

I can promise you, Cochese may be lots of things, but he ain't one to put words in people's mouths....

In short, Lighten up Francis.....
  17. MNTRPR, SP running those rifles irons only, no red dot ect?
  18. FAIL! I nad a coworker just got TAC30s from Brownells....... I need to investigate if I can return it still... :faint:
  19. Guy I work with just ordered one. I'm gonna play with it and probably buy one myself.
  20. Us mere mortals are not tacticool enough to run optics. Only are SRT cats and some of the rifle teams on the field force run optics.

I was going down this road for my personal SHTF rig. I can't even imagine what the powers that be would do if you shot somebody and had an unauthorized optic. I mean comeon....it's not like they bring up minor stuff like not wearing one's hat during a deadly force incident... :wow:

I found a sight that I think will work and will post a pic when it and the mount arrive.