close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Optics options - Cash conscious

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glock 1, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Glock 1

Glock 1
    Expand Collapse

I am still reeling from the cost of getting my new AR and as such, I am looking for a less expensive option for optics. I am open to red dot, scopes, or whatever the options may be. I only need it good for about 100-200 yrds or so. I am removing the stock irons and installing MBUIS and a new hand guard w/ low-profile gas block soon and I want to do the optic at the same time. What are my least expensive but decent quality options?

Keep in mind this is mostly going to be use at the range and maybe home defense if I need some serious firepower. I am no commando or seal team six guy. I am a couch potato with a new toy. lol

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Send me a pm,........I may have an option for you.
    Nothing special,.....but it's free!

#2 faawrenchbndr, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  3. Glock 1

Glock 1
    Expand Collapse

lol. Free just happens to fall within my budget. PM sent.

4. FriscoCHL

FriscoCHL
    Expand Collapse

Keep the thread going though. I am interested in what people have to say.

5. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

I've offered the OP the use of a clone Aimpoint.
    It's his if he would like to try it, if it works for him, the
    red dot is his. If he does not care for it, I simply request
    he pass it along for another to try.

Primary Arms make great low cost red dots, great decision
    to try out a red dot optic.

6. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

What is the price range? For the range a Primary Arms is a good cheap red dot. For HD the cheapest option is going to be an Aimpoint Pro for ~$400. Used Aimpoints and EOtechs are also an option.

7. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy
    Expand Collapse

My experience is that if you can't afford quality optics, you are better off with iron sights. That's not snobbery. I have no problem with a guy who doesn't use optics at all. I just feel that your sighting system should be something you can count on even with conditions are less than perfect, so good irons beat cheap glass.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Very true,........BUT, if a guy has never tried one, a
    low cost optic is good to see if one likes a red dot vs
    a traditional variable scope.

9. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

I know you want to be cash conscious so this isn’t meant to be rude but with optics you really do get what you pay for. For home defense, Aimpoint or EOTech would be my choices. Another good (and less expensive) option would be a low power variable from Nikon.

10. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

Good on you! :cheers:

11. bmoore

bmoore
    Expand Collapse

:thumbsup:

12. Glock 1

Glock 1
    Expand Collapse

This is really just to see what I like. I was looking at a T-1 and will eventually get a good one and in turn pay it forward and pass this one on. Thank you to faawrenchbndr too for doing this. :cool:

My rail will be done first and then it will be a few months before I can afford a decent optic.

I didn't cut cost corners with the AR and the optics will get the same consideration once I decide what is for me.

13. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

14. IGotIt

IGotIt
    Expand Collapse
    No Demlibtards

I put this one on my hog gun. http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

I spent two days hunting in a new 420 acre lease in the thickest stuff I've ever been in. My gun and scope was banged around by hanging vines and tree branches, tripping on emergent vines, through thick palmetto groves all the while chasing little piggies, then bouncing around in a swamp buggy, climbing into tree stands and blinds. Never lost zero, and yes I was successful taking two hogs that hunt.

Others in the party looked at it and were surprised how good the dots were without halos or blurring. Amazon has it for about $84 shipped. Yes you can get better, but like you I was on a budget.

Primary Arm does have good stuff, I know a few people who are extremely pleased with their optics and Vortex has good optics also. Those are reasonably priced too.

15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454
    Expand Collapse

So far I've been very pleased with my two Vortex Strikefires one on my primary SD/HD 5.56mm and the other on my 300 Blk. Both have held zero and have performed as I expect them too. :supergrin:

16. Glock 1

Glock 1
    Expand Collapse

You using .223 for the hog gun or something larger? I have a friend who is asking me and a friend of mine to come out to her land to deal with some wild hogs that have killed two of her dogs and some other kind of pet. I was contemplating going.

17. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

That's pretty cool of you.

18. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

FAA is a good dude. I got a P7 about a year ago, and he hooked me up with the combo tool for it, and solt it to me for a very fair price.

The PA optic will be good, but it's still not as rugged as an Aimpoint. Take the money you would have spent otherwise, and save up some more to get an Aimpoint T1 or PRO, or for a quality magnified optic. For the distances you want to shoot, though, I'd stick with a red dot. Hits on man-sized targets are a piece of cake, even to 150 yards and beyond with a properly zeroed red dot.

#18 WoodenPlank, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  19. John43

John43
    Expand Collapse

Mueller has their new Super Shot 1-4x24 out and it is $249. If you go to their website they have some demos, pre-production models for $160. Video on Military Arms Channel. Demo price is $160. The only thing different is some of the markings location has changed.

20. Javelin

Javelin
    Expand Collapse
    Got Glock?
    Silver Member

Probably just tell you to get an AimPoint Pro. It's a really reliable and great optic that will last you a lifetime.

:wavey: