close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Optics for an AR10

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by DerekMK23, May 27, 2011.

1. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011
    I have recently purchase a 14" AR10 that has a fixed 2" muzzle brake.
    I am trying to decide on what optic to buy I am really leaning towards a Vortex 2.5-10 x 51 pst with a canted burris fast fire II. What are your opinions? Anyone had extensive expirience with canted sights?

2. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011
    wow this thread was dead before it ever started! you know no replies like.... hey derek yeah i have tried the side cant dont care for it much, or yeah vortex is a good brand at an affordable price nice choice! or hey give this a try. or HEY there is a large object in the back room with lube on the table.... drop your drawers.... you know what you need to do.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    Dang dude,........you need less coffee!

I've never tried the Vortex line of optics. I prefer Leupold.
    What is this going to be used for? I've got a 3.5-10 that will be going on a FN SPR.

Great optic power in my opinion.

Cant sights, never tried them. I do like the Burris Fast Fire though.

4. I have the same question as the OP, actually. Eventually my .308 will be wearing an ACOG, but I would like something in the interim while I save. Prefferably in the sub $200.00 range.

5. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The Millet DMS-1 is a 1-4 reticle/illuminated reticle scope. It's in the $200 range

6. Thanks! That might be just what I'm looking for.

7. G27RR

G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    The Falcon Menace 1.5-5x32 is in the same range, also with an illuminated reticle (selectable red or green) and mil/mil adjustments. Here's what one looks like on an AR-10. The reticle doesn't blur at the bottom it's just a poor photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Goodspeed(TPF)

Goodspeed(TPF)

Jul 30, 2009
    Sh
    Pics.

9. Spiffums

Spiffums I.C.P.

Sep 30, 2006
    14 " barrel on a 308? Never seen one that short, but that's not saying much. Since it's a Perm Hider weapon I would say Red Dot and Magnifier.

10. cjs83

cjs83

Mar 13, 2011
    MN
    Depends what you want, I think I am going to go with a Accupoint with my 16" .308

11. faawrenchbndr

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
    The DMS-1 has what they call a "dot in donut" reticle,......love it!

12. Yeah, I read that and that's a big plus for me too.

Here is mine.

View attachment 216563

13. BBJones

BBJones

Mar 2, 2010
    My brother is going to mount that same optic on his AR10 (Viper PST 2.5x10 MRAD). 16" Noveske barrel (dimpled KAC style), BABC, Troy Extreme, etc. Hasn't shot it yet, but he and I were both impressed by the quality of the glass for the price. He ditched his Leupold because he was sick of the mil reticule and MOA turrets (had an older model, sold it and paid for the Vortex and kept $150 in cash). Its no NF. For the money, I think you would be hard pressed to find something of the same quality.

No experience with offset red dots at all. I always mount my scopes in QD mounts and have flip up iron back-ups. I could see how an offset mount would be useful for 3G or for a gun that has multiple uses for both short and long range (say entry and field).

Pat (aka Alaskapopo) would be a good person to ask (he runs similar setups on his AR15's). If my memory serves, you 2 might have had a beef in another thread (apologies if I am confusing you with someone else).

I have no experience with a Burris FF but I would opt for Aimpoint micro. Not sure how well the FF will hold up over time. take that with a grain of salt.

(I love the internet. I just gave advice based on not using any of the items the OP asked about.)

14. i have the millett DMS on my 16" stag carbine. i like its reticle as i can use it pretty quickly if just looking through the reticle and shooting at whats in the circle. i can also dial it up to 4x and shoot 400 yards pretty well.

i am waiting on my R700 in 308 to show up and will be ordering a Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical with a 4.5-30x range scope on it. they make a 6500 with a 2.5-16x as well. if i were doing a .308 carbine, id probably go with teh 2.5-16x.

i have no experience with the vortex line and only a brief handling of the fast fire when i was working as a range safety. one guy brought one up mounted on a glock and every so often it would shut off. figured the recoil was causing the power switch to move. might have similar issues on a .308 rifle as well. i do like the MRD sights but would probably look for the trijicon or docter brands.

15. FatBoy

FatBoy Millennium Member

Sep 2, 1999
    ME
    I have a 3x ACOG on my 16" AR10. No use for canted sights, never used the Vortex.

I didn't know ArmaLite started making 14" uppers.

FB

16. jobob

jobob

Apr 1, 2005
    Lewiston, Idaho
    I have a DMS and don't recommend it. Optics are poor, though I do like the reticle. Weaver 1 - 3x goes for about $150 and has great optics for the money. It's compact and light weight too.

17. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

Feb 15, 2008
    South-central 907
    I have a vortex crossfire on my Savage 223 that has not given me any problems. It does "fish bowl" a little at the the highest X's. That is a minor issue as I never really crank it up that high.

For a sub $200 scope I have heard very good things about the stuff that Primary Arms puts out. And they are a Glock Talk sponsor.
    http://primaryarms.com/category.sc?categoryId=156

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    I have a similar set up on my precision 5.56 rig and like it.
    Pat
    [​IMG]

19. G27RR

G27RR

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    The FastFire II has held up fine on my 5.56mm OBR. They can be used on pistols and shotguns, too, so a .308 should be fine. I like the 1 o'clock mount. Very fast transitions from scope to dot just by slightly rotating the rifle while keeping your cheekweld.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/fastfire.html

[​IMG]

20. DerekMK23

DerekMK23

May 24, 2011

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011