close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Optic ideas?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by glockleo, Feb 2, 2010.

1. glockleo

glockleo
    Expand Collapse
    The Law

About to buy a S&W MP15... anyone have any optics suggestions? I'm looking at the Burris XTS-135, EoTech 512, and some aimpoints... trying to save some money so any ideas?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. steve1911

steve1911
    Expand Collapse

I would look here on GT, for used Aimpoint or Eotech, some one is always selling to up grade.

1911club#410

3. Norcal911

Norcal911
    Expand Collapse

Need a purpose here. HD? SHTF? Duty rifle? Range toy? 3 gun? Needs and budget are going to dictate what optics you want. Can't go wrong with Eotech or Aimpoint, but if you want to stretch the distance at the range or play 3 gun, some magnification is going to help. I've found that optics is one of the worst places to try to save money. You really do get what you pay for. Buy once, cry once and you'll have a quality optic. My duty rifle sports an Eotech although I believe Aimpoint is just as good, sometimes better for some people. I unfortunately don't have the budget to afford anything better than a Millett DMS for my 3 gun rifle. If budget wasn't a problem, it would be short dot or Z6i all the way. If I had some money but not short dot money, I'd go with a Trijicon tr-24 or the Nightforce 1-4X-Norcal911

4. Naelbis

Naelbis
    Expand Collapse

I put a Trijicon Reflex R30 on my S&W MP-15 I bought last week. MOA is high at 6.5, but for what I am likely to use it for that is not an issue. Huge feild of vision and the dot is easy to aquire, even in a dark room. When I turned the lights off in my house at night the dot was all I could see.

5. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I use the EOTech 517 for the side mounted buttons so you can butt the BUIS right up on it or a magnifier if you want.

It's the same as the 512 otherwise but it's also about $20 cheaper for some reason. It also has the raised front so it can clear the delta ring on the AR.

6. wingsprint

wingsprint
    Expand Collapse

+1

The 516/517 Eotech offers quality, performance at a good price.

Now if I could only get my Eotech rebate check that I mailed in the paperwork in for 9 weeks ago!

7. K. Foster

K. Foster
    Expand Collapse

As Norcal pointed out, optics is not a good place to ‘save’ money. Of the 3 you mentioned, Burris is obviously the cheapest. I had an older Burris Speed Dot that I used on an AR and other guns for a couple years. Other than very short battery life, I had no problems with it but it is not as durable as the other 2. I would not recommend one for a defensive rifle.
    I have a Eotech 512 and like their circle-dot reticle better than just a plain dot. I’ve used it hard in training with no issues. Battery life isn’t up to Aimpoint standards but is acceptable. IMO, it is important to use the lithium batteries that Eotech recommends. Or, get the new XPS which is probably a better sight than the AA models.
    If you want the most rugged and longest battery life, get an Aimpoint.

8. lawman800

lawman800
    Expand Collapse
    Juris Glocktor

I heard the 6-8 week anticipated wait time was optimistic at best and some people don't get it at all while other have it capriciously rejected. People were saying buy it if you were going to buy it anyway but don't let the rebate be the impetus.

9. WayaX

WayaX
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

There are only 3 things you need to know about optics for AR's:

Trijicon
    Aimpoint
    Eotech

(in that order)