Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Kasota, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Kasota

Jun 26, 2010
    For occasional carry in rough country in case of bear or big cat should I go with 10mm or can I get enough penetration with 357 sig cartridge and skip tough recloil issues?
  2. AZBru88

May 21, 2010
    I like the 10mm, with the Glock recoil is mild! Of course carry a good penetrating bullet. Buffalo Bore makes some great rounds for a 10mm.

I say mild because I'm used to shooting full house 44 mag rounds, so to me a full house 10mm feels very light. Plus Glock slide is heavier then in a 9mm, 40cal. really tames the felt recoil.

Personally for bear I'd move up to 44 mag., but lots of guys carry 10mm's.

3. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Since being somewhat new to Glocks I've been told time and again by seasoned Glock owners that if I ever shot a 10mm Glock , I'd be done....meaning totally a Glock-o-holic. :cool: I don't care to add another caliber to my already huge list of calibers I own and have no use for one. Having said that, if I did live in bear country and wanted to use a Glock, it would defiantly be 10mm. If bears where a frequent sighting in your area though I would get a 44mag revolver and carry the 10mm Glock as a BUG for quick follow-up shots.
  4. If I'm in true bear country, I carry a S&W M29 4" barrel .44 mag wheel gun (I've only carried in earnest twice). Otherwise, my trail/pack gun is a stainless S&W 681-3 .357 mag.

If I HAD to choose from your choices, I'd go with the 10mm. You're not talking about stopping a threat on a soft-skinned, small-boned human. If you've got to defend your life from a real bear threat, I'd not recommend a Glock.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Almost Done

Sep 12, 2006
    Rocking Chair
    Sounds like you should take your frame and install a 50GI upper :tongueout:
  6. green marauder

green marauder GLOCK MILITIA#1

Pennsylvania State Game Commission Issue Glock 31 .357sig
  7. Flipz

Nov 9, 2009
    Id lean more towards the 10mm for bear country.
  8. hardcorp

Apr 24, 2009
    Mid. Michigan
    Doesn't matter just as long as you can run faster than the person you are with.:whistling:

You should be fine with ether one you choose.
  9. Unless the decision was made by a 30-yr employee who's also an experienced deer and bear hunter, I am negatively impressed. Meaningless. They shopped for price; they know nothing; most of them are 23-year-old females with a degree in Sociology and a PETA button.
  10. No contest. .357Sig is fine for humans, definitely not for bears. The bear might die of indigestion after eating you. You need a heavy, hard bullet that will penetrate and break bone; not a bullet that expands in tissue.
  11. tuica

Apr 28, 2009
    10 mm only. .357 Sig. not heavy enough for deep penetration. Good Luck.
  12. AK74play

Jun 26, 2010
    I have in my posession a sheet of kevlar board that is used to line the benches in the local courthouse to protect the judge in all his glory, (LOL) anyway after testing everything from a 22 to a 44mag, in this stuff. The 357 sig FMJ standard 124gr, is the only thing short of a .223 that will even begin to show on the other side and from my G31 at 15 ft, will actually start to open up the other side. Now to think for a minute that it wont penatrate and break the bone of a bear is absolutely impossible for me to beleive. All rounds tested were fmj because I was testing for penatration and you wont get near as much from a soft point or hollow point in any cartrideg compaired to the same thing in fmj. By the way, the .223 blew through it like it wasn't even there so I didn't go to my 7.62x39. Just didn't really seem necessary..
  13. GunFighter45ACP

Jun 11, 2005
    D/FW, TX
    If you don't own either pistol/caliber mentioned, then I'd just buy a 44mag or higher caliber, instead.

If you want more out of the gun than just an occasional carry when out & about in the woods, then go for the Glock 20/10mm.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  14. Fulton 722

Fulton 722

May 13, 2010
    Your statement shows that you know absolutely nothing about the PGC. Price was the least important element in the selection of a new handgun. Of the entire contingent of PGC WCOs, only about a half dozen are female, and all are well trained and far from PETA supporters. The decision to go with the 357 Sig was made in Harrisburg, where NO female WCOs are assigned.
  15. bustedknee

bustedknee Curmudgeon

Aug 1, 2001
    Wythe County, VA
    Factory ammo -- 357Sig

Handloads -- 10mm
  16. gunsmoke92

Jul 22, 2005
    Rigby, Idaho
    Go 10mm. Although penetration is important, energy transfer is what shocks their system into shutting down. My personal choice for the boondocks would be a hot .45 LC with hardcast blunt lead, but you can't do that with a Glock.

Being a loyal Glock guy is one thing, carrying the proper gun for the job at hand is just good sense. My 2 cents.:whistling:
  17. Alphonso

Mar 7, 2007
    Central Texas
    I love bear threads...
  18. Slug71

Mar 7, 2010
    Oregon - U.S.A
    Since its only for occasional carry and theyre probably(havent shot either) both equally loud with as much recoil and muzzle flash and both on the pricey side as far as ammo goes.... I'd go 10mm.
  19. Cineski

Jun 18, 2009
    10mm w/ DT 200 grain WFNGC Hardcast 50rds. That is a hella hot load.