close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on this as a possible new ML purchase

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by StockGlock23, Feb 9, 2005.

1. StockGlock23

StockGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Hilarious!

I am in the market for a new muzzleloader. I have toyed with the idea of going traditional and I still my go that route but I have found a rifle that has both the look I am leaning towards and the functionality I want. It is a rolling block .50 cal with a 26" barrel and blued/walnut finish.
    www.cabelas.com
    Search "Rolling Block" and it is the $299.99 rifle on the right. I think it is a great looking gun. It has scope capabilities but since I already have a .54 with a scope I think I want to iron sight this. In fact I am tinkering with taking off the fiber optic sights and trying a sight system similar to what is on a Ruger 10/22. Basically I would like to have a modern rifle with classic looks and a more traditional sighting system. Well I have rambled enough. Your thoughts?

Sixgun I know you will read this and I admire your will to stay "old school". In fact you are partly responsible for me wanting something besides my inline.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. StockGlock23

StockGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Hilarious!

The attachment is of the gun I figured I would link Cabela's if you wanted to see the stats. Also with a 1:24" R.O.T. what would be the best to shoot in this rifle sabots or round ball? I imagine sabots since I have heard round ball takes a slower twist. I have a whole slew of questions about round ball but that is a different ball of wax.

3. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

I was thinking "blackpowder cartridge" when I saw "Remmington Rolling Block", it is a new one on me that they produced one as a muzzleloading rifle. Looks good.

1/24" twist rifling? Probably for sabots, but you may want to try the heavy conical bullets too. A rifle barrel for ball will have a much slower rifling twist, like 1/66" or so.

4. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

Whoa!

I missed that part about "functionality". What questions do you have about the functionality of the traditional guns?

5. StockGlock23

StockGlock23
    Expand Collapse
    Hilarious!

Weatherproof I think is a more appropriate term. I know that cap and ball or even flintlocks are more than sufficent to hunt with. They are a proven design that have been around for hundreds of years.

Thanks for the info about the sabots/conicals.

6. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony
    Expand Collapse
    NRA4EVR

Bad weather can be overcome with some knowledge and attention to detail when using traditional guns.

Always use a quality flintlock, Siler is the best. Be sure to grease the edge of the closed flash pan when going out into incliment weather. Just a little bit will do ya.

On caplocks, use a tight fitting cap on the nipple. Then apply a wee bit of hot wax to seal it.