close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on the Toyota Prius or...?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by WEATHERBY460, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WEATHERBY460

WEATHERBY460

I need a new fuel efficiant car...what are your thoughts of the prius.....or is there another car that would be better?

Thanks

2. rjdriver

rjdriver

Get a VW Jetta or BUG TDI diesel you usually can get close to 50 MPG without the hassle of Batteries

3. Mass10mm

Mass10mm Armed Yankee

We bought a new Prius in April 2008 for my wife to use in suburban-city driving. It's consistently gotten 45-50 MPG and has had NO mechanical or electrical problems. She wanted leather and an onboard GPS, so we bought the top Package 6 version. I'm pretty big (6'1", 230#) and I easily fit behind the wheel. With both front seats pushed back all the way, I also fit in back. The hatchback cargo space holds lots of stuff, and really can pack it in if you fold down the back seats.

YMMV.

4. cjsjr249

cjsjr249

I bought the new Honda CRZ last spring, check them out. It is a hybrid, I am averaging 47 mpg. Fun little car, looks better than a Prius.

5. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

If you are buying new, many of the sub-compact and compact models get ~40mpg highway, inlcuding the new Cruze and Sonic, the Yaris, The Elantra and Accent, the Mazda3, The Ford Focus and Feista.

6. wjv

wjv

True!

I have a 2008 KIA Rio and can get 35 on the highway. Then newer ones do even better. 40 or so.

I have just over 60K miles on the Rio and other than gas an oil changes I've done the following)

- 2 running light bulbs
    - 1 set of tires
    - 60K servicing which included new timing belt, alternator belt, fan belt, transmission flush. All of the hoses were OK.

NOTE: 60K miles and I still have the ORIGINAL brake pads!! I had them checked when I had the 60K service done and the guy said it looks like I still have another 10K left on them. Have a friend at work who had a Rio and he also has the orig brake pads with ~52K miles.

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

There is absolutely no car that is better, more reliable, or more fuel-efficient than the Prius, in the class. My mom has a 2010, regularly gets around 60 mpg mixed driving (has gotten as high as 75). She drives a lot, and the car has not given her any problems. The TDI Jetta takes much more expensive diesel fuel, does not get nearly as good mpg, and has the subpar VW reliability.

As far as batteries, Consumer Reports tested a 2002 Prius in 2011 with over 200k miles on it, on the original engine, transmission, and battery pack, and found virtually identical performance and mpg. A large percentage of NYC taxis and all NYPD traffic enforcement patrol cars are Priuses as well.

Link to the Consumer Reports article.

Keep in mind that the 2009 and older Prius models have a smaller engine, much less power and space, and get worse MPG. The 2010+ Prius is actually pretty quick, especially if you take it off Eco mode, and rather large inside. Like I said, my mom gets around 60 mpg on a regular basis, mixed driving, and I have seen as high as 75 highway on cruise control.

8. sputnik767

sputnik767

The new Prius is much larger than a compact and certainly a subcompact, and gets around 60 mpg, verified by my mom. It certainly costs more, but you can't argue that if you take a small car with an excellent crash test and a larger car with an excellent crash test, the larger car will likely fare better in an accident. If you compare cars within the same class, the new Prius is more comparable to a Camry (yes, the Camry is a bit bigger, but the Prius is bigger than a Corolla IIRC), and price-wise, they are not far off. But comparing the Prius to a Yaris or even the Mazda3 or Focus is comparing apples to oranges.

9. happy seal

happy seal

DO NOT BUY A PRIUS!

They automatically turn you into a non driving tree hugging left wing liberal who loves Obama!

I swear if one more Prius driver rides 55 in a 65 in the fast lane in rush hour I will crap myself.

10. Diesel_Bomber

Diesel_Bomber

What are you going to use it for? City driving, stop and go, get the Prius. If most of your driving will be highway commuter miles, get a TDI VW.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

I wonder which costs less- a less expensive conventional that gets say 40 mpg or a hybrid that gets 60 mpg. I guess it depends on how much one drives and of course the gasoline price.

12. sputnik767

sputnik767

Depends. Are you ok with a compact or do you need a mid-size? Because a mid-size will cost over $20k and will not get you anywhere near 40 mpg. Even a compact is pushing it. My dad's 2008 civic gets around 35 mpg highway, and less than 30 city, and it's one of the most fuel efficient cars out there. In the end, the price difference between a Prius and a Camry for example is within a few grand, but the mpg difference is about 25 mpg average.

13. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

I have seen many financial analyses that show that one will never recoup the extra money one pays for a Prius in the alleged fuel cost savings. It might be that you would use less gasoline over the life of the car, but you will be paying for that gasoline frugality with money out of your pocket.

If you want to minimize dollars, not gasoline, buy an economical conventionally powered car.

14. KING-PIN

KING-PIN

Fixed

:supergrin:

15. rauldduke1979

rauldduke1979

This is true.

It also depends on what you want in terms of options. This year, Toyota is coming out with a Prius C with an MSRP of 19,000. At that price, it's pretty well loaded with power windows, keyless entry, bluetooth, etc.

I just went to Toyotas website and "built" a Corola with the same options $21,000.

If you just want the most affordable thing you can find, a stick Hyundai Accent is probably hard to beat.

But if your want/need the options packages, Prius get very close to (within $1k-2k) of its non-hybrid competitors. Shop around, watch for the incentives and the street price might get even closer than that.

16. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

With gas prices on the rise eventually the report will be null and void. I know I have been watching gas increase almost daily where I live... another week and we'll be paying $4.00/gal. It's getting to the point that I can't afford to drive my trucks anymore.:steamed:

17. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

The Prius C has so many preorders that it will be nearly impossible to get one when they first come out. Also, it is based on the Yaris platform, so you should compare it to the Yaris, not the (overpriced and obsolete) Corolla.

18. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I bought a 2012 Hyundai Veloster in October and couldn't be happier. While it takes a while to reach 60 mph, it routinely gets in the low to mid 40's on the highway if you keep a light pedal. Under $18K if you stick with the base model which has everything but the sunroof and leather. There's supposed to be a turbo coming out (still no ETA) but it's going to be in the mid $20's and get much poorer economy. HH

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  19. paynter2

paynter2 It ain't over Millennium Member

Turbo Veloster is already out. IIRC it's 178HP. I bet that thing will run like a scalded cat!

Edited to add - it's 201 HP - see my next post.

I like Corollas. You can get a pretty well loaded one for about 16K. They get good mileage and are proven to be trouble free. AND they have great resale.

Nothing fancy about them - just form following function. Good, reliable transportation ad a very good price.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  20. drewseph

drewseph

when it switches from gas to electric it feels like the car dies... im a chevy guy, it freaks me out everytime...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.