close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Opinions on the Colt XSE??

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by G19freak, Feb 23, 2010.

1. G19freak

G19freak
    Expand Collapse

Have one on hold at the shop---still debating if I want to drop that amount on a pistol.

Have no real interest in Kimber's or Springfield's.

If I don't get this I will probably bring home a Smith 629 .44 instead.

So what do you think---good or bad on the XSE?

Thanks

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

I would get the 629 to be honest with you. there are better 1911s out there for the money. main thing that drives people away from XSE is the 80 series ignition. not a big fan of colt's fitting either, I have never handled a Colt that has tight slide to frame fit from the factory. heck I was so close to buying a Delta Elite and was very upset when I can hear the slide to frame play... no Colt for me. this is just my opinion. I am sure there are hardcore "Colt 45" guys out there. more power to ya. I would get the 629

#2 dakrat, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  3. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Actaully the newer Colts are pretty tight with slide to frame fit. And remember that slide and frame tightness barely effects accuracy and actually looseness helps reliability. The only thing a tight slide does is give somebody that knows little about 1911's to play with.

Colt makes some of the best factory guns in the XSE price range. You get very good quality parts ( according to some of the best smiths in the country). Good forged and bar stock parts, not cheap ass MIM like Kimber and Springer.

Unless the 629 is a pre lock then I would get the Colt 7 days a week. If the 629 is a pre lock then get the Smith, and get the Colt later.

#3 HAIL CAESAR, Feb 24, 2010
  4. paul45

paul45
    Expand Collapse

Fantastic reply, allow me to agree!

May I use one of my favorite quotes....

From a Larry Vickers interview....

#5 paul45, Feb 24, 2010
  5. Line Rider

Line Rider
    Expand Collapse

After hearing all the bull about Colts I called three nationally known gunsmiths and spoke at lenght with them about Colt's quality. All of them told me that Colt's gun and of the highest quality. They still follow the spec and plans that have been around since 1911 and 1918.

I'm currently looking for a Colt XSE Combat Elite. I'd like to have a Novak night sights and a reliablity package done on it.

6. MD357

MD357
    Expand Collapse

+1 on the previous comments. XSEs are some of the best 1911s out there for their price range.

7. remat

remat
    Expand Collapse

Huge +1! I think that the tight fitting does show the care and attention put into a particular pistol, however at the range I don't notice much of a difference.

And to be honest at the range a lot of the folks with high-end 1911's should have bought less expensive pistols and more range time :)

The beauty of the 1911 is that if you find that you are actually outshooting it you can upgrade parts.

P.S. I own one of the new Delta's and they are great. Accurate and reliable!

#8 remat, Feb 24, 2010
  8. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

I agree with what Mr Vickers said. also, the smaller the slide to frame gap, the less chance of foreign objects can get in between and cause more wear, especially sand. Just my 2 cents.

9. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Huh? You agree with him but disagree with him.?????

Loosey goosey guns run because crap that gets in can fall out.

10. Makoman

Makoman
    Expand Collapse

Democratik People's Republik of Kommiefornia
    I would definitely go with a Colt first, Springer second and I would avoid Kimber altogether. Too many QC issues lately, too many MIM parts (namely the extractor and firing pin. One I handled recently at a gun show had rust on the barrel, and not a little either. I've got two Colt's and both are great. Selling one actually, so check the FS section.

I got this from another poster.

Colt currently uses 3 MIM parts.

MIM
    sear
    disconnector
    mag catch

CAST
    Thumb safety
    grip safety

FORGED
    slide
    receiver
    barrel
    slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
    hammer
    all pins
    bbl link
    bbl bushing
    trigger finger piece
    ejector
    firing pin
    firing pin stop
    extractor
    plunger tube

11. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

I agree with him on the accuracy part. tighter slide to frame fit doesn't necessarily mean its accurate. but it sure does help.

12. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

the colts also uses MIM parts...

13. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

An accurate 1911 is all about barrel fit. If you want a accurate 1911 then you start with a great barrel and have it masterfully fitted because that is where accuracy it is at, not a uber tight slide/frame fit.

14. Makoman

Makoman
    Expand Collapse

Yes they do, but not where it counts.

Colt currently uses 3 MIM parts.

MIM
    sear
    disconnector
    mag catch

CAST
    Thumb safety
    grip safety

FORGED
    slide
    receiver
    barrel
    slide stop

MACHINED from bar stock
    hammer
    all pins
    bbl link
    bbl bushing
    trigger finger piece
    ejector
    firing pin
    firing pin stop
    extractor
    plunger tube

15. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Not to the level as Springer and Mimber.

And Colt (like Springfield) seems to have their act together with MIM and does it right as you do not see the breakages as you do Mimber.

But alas I do not like MIM no matter from who and replace it as soon as I get my hands on a new 1911. Just with Colt I have less to throw in the trash compared to other makers.

16. dakrat

dakrat
    Expand Collapse

barrel, bushing, slide/frame, ammo and shooter. have a good night. unsubscribed*

17. tedg-23

tedg-23
    Expand Collapse
    PROUD AMERICAN!

I just got a used SS XSE and put 100 flawless rounds through it on Sunday. For me, I just always wanted a Colt 1911 and The XSE did not disappoint. I already want a blued one!!!

18. HAIL CAESAR

HAIL CAESAR
    Expand Collapse

Barrel fitting means barrel bushing plus other things.:upeyes:
    Like hood and barrel lugs/feet/legs ( some call it different things).

And no kidding :shocked:, you mean to tell me it takes good ammo too? And a good shooter??? I thought you could load a 1911 up with Wolf and send it to the range all by itself and it will shoot .5 MOA at 100 yards and hitchhike it's way back home to you.:upeyes:

And tootels to you, watch the door on you way out. Come back when you can add something you know about.

19. Makoman

Makoman
    Expand Collapse

What can you say Caesar? I'll admit that sometimes I can be a little defensive of Colt's myself but it's only because I know that their quality has come a long way. While it's true they had some crappy products in the past (namely when their workers had all gone on strike way back when, 20 years ago now I think) things have turned around.

It's cyclycal I think, every manufacturer goes through it. Kimber was all the rage not long ago, now they're having issues. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they bounce back as well. It's just like with what Toyota is going through now. For years they were the envy of the auto industry, now they've fallen from grace.

I kind of upsets me sometimes when people won't give manufacturer a chance because of something that happened long ago. Anyone hear of comebacks?