close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

opinions on a Bushmaster Patrolman a3 carbine vs Spikes Tactical m4?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by TsunamiMike, Nov 18, 2011.

1. TsunamiMike

TsunamiMike

Dec 9, 2010
    so i am looking at getting my first AR around black friday. The two rifles above are about $850 each and sounds like a good entry level point. Start with iron sights then move to optics later..

2. samuse

samuse

Jul 30, 2008
    South TX
    Save another $250 and get a Colt 6920.

Then it'll be LE/mil grade and you'll be set with a good gun from the get-go.

3. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I agree and actually they are quite easy to find at <$1000 now.

Of the two listed go Spikes.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    Curious which component(s) of the Colt you think are different/better than the Spike's? Both are 'mil-spec' with all the proper materials, fancy mpi testing, etc. Spikes has the goofy spider rollmark but that's the only thing wrong with it.

5. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Spikes ticks the right boxes on the spec sheet and it's a good gun. For me it's several reasons that don't need to be rehashed here. Mechanically they are more or less the same. Resale value is also something that should be considered.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

6. Or buy a BCM blem lower from G & R tact for like 269 + 15 for shipping and a BCM upper + bcg + charging handle and even some basic handguards all for around 670 shipped to your door. and have a great gun from the get go for probably a bit cheaper.

7. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    I agree.

8. conch27

conch27

May 17, 2011
    Maine
    Can not go wrong with a spikes. I had a bushmaster as well and it was great. No problems with either. Colt is the standard and you can not go wrong there.

9. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Trigger, trigger pins, sear, springs, bolt, bolt carrier, sights, barrel,
    gas tube, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, handguards, pivot pins,
    sights, upper receiver, lower receiver, trigger guard, grip, grip screw,
    butt stock & flash hider.

You also get none of the BS from Colt like Spikes was dishing out a few years back.

10. Top_Shot_31

Top_Shot_31

Apr 8, 2011
    Idawahio, USA.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  11. IGotIt

IGotIt No Demlibtards

Aug 20, 2011
    On The Edge
    Getting back to the original question, if I had to choose between the Spikes and a Bushmaster, I would choose the Spikes.

12. I agree that Colt is the gold standard, but being fairly new to AR's i wanna know what the BS Spike's was dishing outa few years ago is/was. I will also add, that while many companies make a decent "Mil-spec" rifle for more or less money than colt, ONLY Colt and FN actually have the TDP... so really only colt and FN make true, 100% mil spec AR's... and FN doesn't sell them to us.

13. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/783339_.html

Spikes Tactical increased the prices of their stripped lowers by $65 (a full 50% increase) the night Obama was elected and then blamed it on an "increase in material cost" :upeyes:

I will readily admit that I do not own a Colt. But if I were to do it all over again and buy my first AR15, I would get a Colt 6920 if only for the resale value.

14. I bought a Stag for my first AR, still have it. It works, but the upper will be replaced with a BCM. If I were doing it all over I'd still probably go the same route. I bougth a gun for 752 dollars to re familiarize myself with the platform, I can sell the upper for 500 dollars give or take and still have a perfectly good lower to use with a future BCM 14.5 middy. If colt sold 14.5's pinned, I'd start with them! But since I live in WA state, I can't own a registered SBR.... 14.5 with pinned is as short as i can go! plus, I trust the 14.5 carbine gas system probably more than any other but the 20 inch witha rifle gas system.

15. Eurodriver

Eurodriver

Sep 11, 2010
    The first AR I bought was a Bushmaster, the 2nd one was a Stag.

Then I discovered BCM, the chart, and became a born again AR owner :tongueout:

I really like Colt, but I also like accessories. You really can't beat BCMs pricing and availability when it comes to custom uppers. They literally have everything, which is the main reason I've bought 6 uppers from them.

If Colt started selling custom uppers, they would get my money but until then I'll keep throwing them at a BCM.

16. Yea, you know if colt was pumping out uppers with the barrel lengths and gas configurations i wanted, I'd probably run all colt uppers!. I do wish though that i hada ready source of colt lowers just for the role marks. But again, at 269.00 for a blemished complete lower sans stock (which i'll replace anyhow) BCM is killing the comp! BTW, the AR I shot from my youth through young adulthood was my father's pre ban Colt Sporter II i think it was called. It was a fantastic gun, super accurate and fun to shoot when i was a kid.

17. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Spikes makes a damn fine rifle, entry-level or otherwise. So does Bushmaster. I don't think you'd go wrong either way.

I currently have several rifles and the Spikes is my favorite of the ones I own.

18. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    :upeyes: Keep on thinking that if it'll help you justify paying too much for your "hands down best AR-15 evar, everything else sucks even though it's made exactly the same" rifle...

19. Made exactly the same vs what? If you're saying it's not better than a noveske, LMT, Bcm, Daniel Defense etc etc, I'll buy into that. If you're saying it's not as good as a DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, Stag etc etc. Then I'll have to point out that you, are in fact crazy. I know the upper and lower naked frames are pretty much the same... that's where the "made the same" similarities end.

20. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy

Stag is good stuff,.......I'd take one over a Spikes!
    If concerned about any parts/pieces replace the BCG with a BMC unit