close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Opinion Should New York tourists have their lives destroyed because of CCW

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by happyguy, Jan 27, 2012.

1. happyguy

happyguy Man, I'm Pretty

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    Honestly, I don't know. I'm torn on this one.

Rule of law. Constitution. Home rule. Honest mistake (no mens rea).

If *I* were running the DA's office in NYC and had to answer to he who put me in the position I would probably let all of the ones who did nothing except illegal CCW and had no priors plead to disorderly conduct, take their gun and call it a day.

Second offense they wouldn't get to plead, though.

3. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    agreed. but it is in new york.

4. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Our opinions don't count - NYS will ruin your life if your stupid enough to go there with a pistol. They don't care about you it's all about taking your pistol and destroying it and your life! Think about it. They make you a felon-can never own or posses again - they get one more pistol to destroy-THATS THERE GOAL!! Its not about the law -your rights- IT'S ABOUT GUN CONTROL!:steamed:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  5. acg8276

acg8276

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Pa.
    By LAURA ITALIANO
    Last Updated: 7:02 AM, January 16, 2012
    Posted: 6:55 AM, January 16, 2012

They’re fighting to save Private Ryan — from jail.
    Marines across the country are rushing to the rescue of former fellow leatherneck Ryan Jerome, who is facing prison time after trying to check his Indiana-registered handgun at the Empire State Building on Sept. 27.
    In multiple blog and chat-group postings and letter-writing campaigns — some aimed directly at NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly, a Marine Vietnam veteran — the Marines are urging that the charges be dropped against their “brother.”
    “It is just overwhelming, the love and support I am receiving from my fellow Marines,” said Jerome, 28, a former private first class whose father and grandfather were Marines and who was a TOW gunner before his honorable discharge in 2005.
    [​IMG]
    Ryan Jerome

“It’s definitely emotionally devastating, looking at maybe facing 3 1/2 years prison,” he said in a phone call from his home in West Bend., Ind., referring to the mandatory minimum sentence he could face under New York’s strict gun laws.
    The irony that someone so highly trained and trusted to keep America safe might be thrown into prison — for a .45-caliber Ruger that he had legally registered in his home state and that he was actually trying to check with authorities — has not been lost on his Marine brethren.
    Boston lawyer and Marine vet Dave Bruce has organized an online campaign through leatherneck.com that will send its first 14 e-mails to Kelly, Mayor Bloomberg and DA Cyrus Vance today.
    “The theme is not to have Mr. Jerome treated like a common thug. He deserves to be treated better,” Bruce explained.
    The soft-spoken Jerome is a jeweler and had traveled to New York with $15,000 worth of gold he was taking to a Long Island refinery, said his lawyer, Mark Bederow.
    Before coming, he had actually checked online with his phone to see whether his Indiana carry permit was reciprocal with New York, Bederow said. A cellphone glitch confused him.
    The city has seen a spate of tourist gun arrests in recent months.

The campaign is much larger than it was when this article first came out. If any want to help with the campaign you can send your letters to:
    mailto:usmcin1963@gmail.com

6. Its real simple just stay the hell out of NY.
    Sooner or later the thugs will kill everyone off :2gun:

7. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    acg8276
    Well I hate to say it but the Marines have a loosing fight! NYS does not have a State Constitutional right to bare arms! They don't recognize the COTUS 2nd, totally blow off the SCOTUS rullings on the 2nd! Do you really think the give a **** about that Marine?
    He will do prison time- will be a felon cause the law as written in NY gives no options ! The Guncontrol freaks there made sure it could never be subverted!:steamed:

8. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    You can sensationalize it all you want. But fact of the matter is these are the laws and these people broke them. Do I agree with or like the laws? No. But when I go into New York I leave my guns at home because thats the law in their state.

9. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

The not being allowed to own or possess isn't NY's fault...

...It's the brady act of 1986, and those who signed it in. Even if we respected state rights of NY that'd ban CC, if we were charged with whatever from them, we'd still be allowed to possess if we didn't have these unconstitution FEDERAL GUN LAWS applied. Keep EVERYTHING on a state level, both good and bad.

10. acg8276

acg8276

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Pa.
    Believe it or not the NYC crowd can be selective in they're prosecution choices.

... in December 2011, Tea Party Patriots founder Mark Meckler was arrested at LaGuardia Airport when he attempted to fly with his registered gun in his luggage. His ammunition was in a separate, secured container. Meckler last week made a plea agreement and received a $250 fine and a conviction on a disorderly conduct charge. That conviction is considered a minor violation in the eyes of the law and therefore will not blemish Meckler's record.
    http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-letter-campaign-for-marine-with-gun-at-empire-state,0,2057286.story

11. MedicOni

MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    This. If you want to CC somewhere, do your damned homework first

12. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    OctoberRust
    BS! Read the state law it specifically calls it a felony! They could have made it a misdemeanor -but the Guncontrol freaks there want nothing less then a felony! They want to ensure you never own a firearm again. Mandatory prison sentence of 5-14 years! All for possesing a legally own firearm!:steamed:

13. I hear what you're saying, but the constitution is what it is. If it has no meaning, what good is the document? We should never compromise on issues Which not only do we know we're in the right, but the founding father agreed so much so to put our views into writing. Constitution and it's amendments should not be suggestions, NY needs to get back to being part of the USA before I ever step foot in tha hellhole I grew up in for 25 years again!

14. dosei

dosei

Mar 22, 2005
    Upstate SC
    While I do agree, one must also concede that it is "common sense" to know the laws of the places you are going. I'm not supportive of anything that creates the opportunity down the road for criminals to exploit the law and get off with a hand slap by claiming "I didn't know".

15. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

Jun 15, 2011
    Texas

You must have not read my post.
    Let me type in all caps, this may help you.

IF THERE WAS NO BRADY CAMPAIGN OF 1986 YOU COULD STILL POSSESS A FIREARM, EVEN IF YOU ARE/WERE A CONVICTED FELON. YOU CANNOT TAKE AWAY A "RIGHT" FROM AN AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO IS NOT CURRENTLY JAILED. THEREFORE THE BRADY CAMPAIGN OF 1986 WAS ANOTHER LAW SET TO THE FEDERAL LEVEL, THE FEDERAL LEVEL MEANING IF NY CHARGES YOU WITH A FELONY LIKE THIS, THEN IT FORBIDS YOU TO POSSESS/OWN A FIREARM. YOU GET IT NOW? IF WE TOOK AWAY THE BRADY ACT OF 1986 WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS ISSUE, KIND OF LIKE HOW WE'RE PUTTING A BANDAID ON CANCER WITH THIS FEDEREAL CC LAW.

Does that help you any?

16. acg8276

acg8276

Jan 18, 2012
    SE Pa.
    This is real, from Tennessee's official government website, and only SOMEWHAT tongue in cheek. It refers to a case about a nurse from Tennessee with a license to carry firearms in her state, went to NYC, went to the 9/11 site--Ground Zero, and asked where she could check her weapon. The answer was the sound of two NYPD handcuffs clicking onto her wrists
    ==================================

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 585

A RESOLUTION urging the State of New York to use common
    sense and sound judgment in the disposition of
    the case against Meredith Graves.
    WHEREAS, on December 22, 2011, Meredith Graves, a registered nurse, fourth-year
    medical student, and Tennessean traveled to New York City for a residency interview at
    Brookhaven Memorial Hospital on Long Island; and
    WHEREAS, while in New York City, the soon-to-be doctor and her husband, Richard
    Disharoon, decided to pay their respects to the victims of 9/11 and attempted to enter the
    hallowed memorial at Ground Zero; and
    WHEREAS, believing the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution was still
    in effect and possessing a fully authorized license to carry from the great State of Tennessee,
    Ms. Graves arrived at the memorial with her .32 caliber pistol stored in her purse, never
    imagining the mayhem that would shortly ensue; and
    WHEREAS, as she quietly approached the sacred landmark, Meredith Graves caught a
    glimpse of a sign, warning, “No Guns Allowed,” and, as any law abiding citizen would do, she
    quickly reached out to a security guard and inquired as to the proper procedure for checking a
    firearm; and
    WHEREAS, the guard directed her to a separate section and explained that she was in
    luck because it just happened to be “Law Enforcement Day;” and
    WHEREAS, with no reason to be concerned, Ms. Graves followed the guard’s
    instructions and respectfully asked a police officer the same question; and
    WHEREAS, reacting with undue haste, the officer immediately arrested Meredith Graves
    on a weapons-possession charge, and she was subsequently held on a $2,000 bond; and
    - 2 - 01098550
    WHEREAS, despite having no prior criminal record, Ms. Graves must report to court on
    March 19, 2012, when these charges will be prosecuted by the Manhattan District Attorney, who
    plans to pursue a conviction on felony gun possession. This serious allegation carries a
    minimum sentence of three and one-half years; and
    WHEREAS, clearly, this incident was simply an unfortunate misunderstanding and any
    attempt to pursue legal action against this devoted health care professional would be a grave
    miscarriage of justice; now, therefore,
    BE IT RESOLVED BY THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES OF THE ONE HUNDRED
    SEVENTH GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE, THE SENATE
    CONCURRING, that we hereby urge the State of New York to use common sense and sound
    judgment in the disposition of the case against Meredith Graves.
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that we remind the citizens of New York, especially those
    residing in New York City, to drive carefully through the great State of Tennessee, paying extra
    attention to our speed limits.
    BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that a certified copy of this resolution be transmitted to

Michael R. Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City.

17. That resolution has no teeth, just moral support.

18. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Dec 28, 2000
    I do understand, HOWEVER...

NYC's laws, specifically the Sullivan law, have not been found unconstitutional. It's not the only place that requires you to have a permit to purchase and other places have gone all the way through the system and not been found unconstitutional.

The reason DC's and Chicago's laws were found so was there was no way to legally possess handguns. NYC there is. Yeah, it's a royal pain in the tucas and who outside of someone living there would even attempt it but there is and it's not been found in violation of the constitution.

The very second after is has been, I will restate my answer and it will be different. Right now, that's what we got.

19. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    acg8276
    Gee thats a first! I'll bet ten bucks it has to do with the fact he's a LAWYER with very deep pockets! He probably had the smarts to tell the Prosecutor -do you really want this to go to trail cause I can assure you it will go all the way to the SCOTUS! Unfortunately for most of the regular folks -like that nurse from TN they don't have free lawyers and a ton of money to fight the state. NYS knows if there law get to the SCOTUS it will be shot down. They will do what they need to do so it doesn't.:steamed: