close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Open Division Glock 17 Holsters??

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by Shooter995, Feb 23, 2010.

Tags:
  1. So I am new to Glock Talk, & new to Open Division Shooting. I an finishing up my open Glock 17 & need some advise on what Holster to buy...?? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, Andrew!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. HK Dan

HK Dan

Mar 27, 2008
    I use a CR SPeed in Limited. It's not an endorsement or anything, but it works well for me. Good retention, fast, and a really, really positive lock.

3. Ok! Thanks for the information, I assume you would say the same about mag pouches...??

4. fourrobert13

fourrobert13 I am the law.

Oct 4, 2005
    SW Ohio
    Either CR Speed, Safariland 771, or even the new Bladetech competition mag pouches.

5. HK Dan

HK Dan

Mar 27, 2008
    I use 3 Safarilands and a Fobus dual in the very back for prone/reload stages. It's not normally on the belt.

6. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    CR speed and versa pouches are hard to beat.

7. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    In USPSA handgun competition it is not legal to add or remove equipment.

8. eabney

eabney

Jan 14, 2010
    Lets see a picture of your "Open" Glock!!!

9. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

Jun 2, 2009
    Tucson AZ
    so if you start the day with certain equipment, you can not add or remove any for the rest of the day?
    interesting.
    i havent had to remove or add any, but its good to know that i shouldnt.
    Thanks

10. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

May 6, 2001
    Texas
    You may have trouble fitting a holster if your open glock has certain optical mounts. If you have a Carver mount on your gun, you can modify or have Bobby Carver mod for you a CR speed holster very easily. The gun is still good to go with a limited gun as well. The old ghost holsters were also easy to mod for an open gun but the new ones are hollow bodies so you can't grind on them & have much left after a few seconds. Even they can be fixed to work but it is more trouble than the CR speed.

Of course, if you aren't using an optic or you're using a slide mounted one, you can ignore what I just said. hahaha.

MLM

11. mteagle1

mteagle1

Oct 17, 2008
    Great Falls, MT
    I'm sorry I was a little rushed the last post, the rule is: 5.2.5.3 "Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment must not be moved or changed by a competitior during a match." So if you wear a mag pouch at your belly button and there is a prone stage, you may not move that pouch for comfort. What might be required is for a Production or Single Stack shooter to move the holster and/or mag pouch behind the point of the hip bone.

12. Ok guys, thaks for all the info, but I actually changed my mind...I still have the Glock 17, I'm just going to put the open conversion on the back burner (for now), so I went out & picked up a brad new Glock 35 & built a limited gun!!! Let me know if you wanna see piks.

P.S. I ended up getting a Kytac Holster & 5 mag pouches! It is top notch equipment, I am very pleased!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  13. dsmw5142

dsmw5142 NRA Member

Oct 2, 2007
    I agree flex, nobody does that! SHEER MADNESS! :faint:

:whistling:

14. HK Dan

HK Dan

Mar 27, 2008
    You're referring to rule 5.2.5.3? That refers to changes during a match. Ya gotta look at the stages and gear up appropriately at the start, man!

15. Haha! lol Yes I did build a Limited Glock 35. I will try to get some piks posted here soon, just been super busy working some double duty shifts!