close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

open carry vs. concealed carry vs. brandishing

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by BigAl at GT, Apr 11, 2012.

1. BigAl at GT

BigAl at GT

Apr 10, 2012
    I have had a CC permit for 25 years but am only now really getting interested in the politics of the subject. When I got my permit, the sheriff said that if anyone saw me carrying, I could be charged with brandishing. I have been reading many threads on open carry. There may be an obvious answer to this question but I don’t see it. If I were carrying in a IWB holster and someone saw the gun because I accidently exposed it, could that just be considered open carry or is that brandishing? Or am I way off? Was my sheriff nuts?

2. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

Dec 31, 1998
    Indianapolis, IN

3. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    I'd bet the sherriff was referring to intentional open carry/attention getting, not accidentally showing the gun.

4. Jud325

Jud325

Mar 30, 2011
    Shelocta, Pa.
    No such thing as brandishing in Pa. What county in Pa. did this take place?

5. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I just OCed into a nice little restaurant in NH. No problem from anywhere/anyone. :cool:

6. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    Apparently one where the sheriff feels the need to discourage citizens from exercising their rights by giving them false information to intimidate them. I wonder if he has his "boys" haul in anyone who "brandishes" for harassment purposes.....

Eric Holder should look into that.

7. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I don't know what your states laws are exactly but I do know OC is legal there. Generally if a state allows open carry someone seeing the print or full exposure of your gun accidentally is no big deal.

8. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    what are the elements of "brandishing" as written in your criminal code. That would be a good starting point for friendly discussion.

9. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Different states have different laws. In Michigan we use the dictionary definition.

Brandish:
    1. To wave or flourish menacingly.
    2. To display ostentatiously.

According to one judge in the state of Michigan for someone to be guilty of brandishing both must be met. The AG in the state of Michigan has also said that a firearm carried in a holster is not "brandishing".

10. BigAl at GT

BigAl at GT

Apr 10, 2012
    Huntingdon circa 1991, it was 3-4 sheriffs ago. Every since he told me that, I have been slightly paranoid that someone would see me carrying. From the repsonse here, I'm thinking it may not be big deal. I will have to see what I can find in the PA laws regarding this.
    Thanks
    Al

11. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    PA (outside Philly) doesn't even require a license to carry openly...correct?

12. John Biltz

John Biltz

Jul 27, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd suspect the laws were different 25 years ago.

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I don't think it would matter if you were actually brandishing or not. If someone didn't like you, all they have to do is say you pointed your gun at them and you go to jail.

It's then on you to prove you didn't do it. Even if your acquitted, your still our the $$ for your legal fees.

It's up to the individual but I say keep it concealed. :wavey:

14. Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Mar 1, 2000
    Pennsylvania
    PA has no law on brandishing.

PA is an open carry state, so if your handgun is exposed, you've broken no law.

Some years ago, many LEO's wrongly believed that you could be arrested for disorderly conduct for carrying openly. However, while a very, very few might still think that, the charge of DC for the mere fact of carrying openly is not warranted.

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Carrying in a provokative manner in urban areas isn't any smarter now than it was 20 years ago. That said, above all, be legal, and familiar with the potential drawbacks of how and where you carry. Good luck.

16. Steve is correct. And a holstered weapon can be brandished... say someone approaches you and you lift your shirt to intentionally show you are carrying to ward them off. Though there is no law about brandishing, this could be considered as a threat if you do not have a valid reason for fear. But other than that, carry however you would like, in a safe manner. Concealed carry or open. We're not going to get into an argument on why you should or shouldn't carry a certain way. Honestly, who cares. You have the right to carry as you wish to, so exercise that right. Pa firearm laws are hard to find online but they are out there. Stop by your Sheriff's office and ask for the firearms law book. They should give you one upon request... and why they don't just hand them out to every CCW holder from the start is beyond me.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

17. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    If someone doesn't like you all they have to do is say you pulled your genitals out and waved them around and you go to jail.

18. Paul53

Paul53 Geezer Boomer

Nov 27, 2011
    Maine
    So is that brandishing or open carry?