close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. I

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mnglocker, Mar 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Nothing happened, nobody even blinked. :shocked:

The only questions asked of me, were if I found everything, and if I'd like to put my purchase on a Menards Big card.

:cool:

2. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Last Saturday when I was out and about running some errands while OCing and I stopped at the Muni Liquor store at about 8pm/ I went in said "Hello" and asked one of the employees how they were doing, they said "Just fine and you", I replied back that "I was doing great". I proceeded to the back of the store's cooler and grabbed a delicious case of thirst quenching barley-flavored soda. At that point I decided that that item would suit my needs for the time being and I continued to the till where the cashier then asked me the question...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    :shocked::shocked::faint:<o:p></o:p>

"How are you tonight, and did you find what you needed?"<o:p></o:p>
    I said, "Just fine thank you, and yes I found exactly what I was looking for."<o:p></o:p>
    I then paid for my item and left, ala zero-incidence. <o:p></o:p>

:supergrin:
    Just another day of OC'ing in The Land of 10,000 Lakes. :wavey:

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Dec 16, 1999
    Minnesota
    No cover garmet? It wasn't that nice in my AO today.
    Then again if you act like you are doing noting wrong/abnormal few folks notice you.

4. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I went last Saturday, I was too pooped to post it then. :rofl:

5. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
    Some on here just won't believe your story, if you were not arrested or at least thrown out of the store then it probably didn't happen. :wavey:

6. Turtle13

Turtle13 Ni!

Jun 20, 2007
    Flint, MI
    Whatever man, you were intent on a robbery. You knew it, the clerk knew it.

You were just too chicken to finish the job.

Don't try to BS us.

j/k :tongueout:

7. When I read the title I thought you sprayed someone with OC. Glad that everything went well at Menards.

8. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
    Jeez, another "no incident" OC story, what is this place coming to. J/K. :rofl:

I wish more would post their no incident OC stories, maybe some on here will get the picture that it's not a crime, unless the law says it is anyways.

9. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota

Dooooood, we need to get ND on board with Open Carry. :cool:

10. passive101

passive101

Nov 26, 2006
    Indiana
    I miss Menards. I used to live in WI and always loved shopping at their stores. They don't have any in Florida.

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota

:wow: I'm honored.

Thank you Russ. :supergrin: :wavey:

12. howsabout this, come tomorrow evening, after my first time OCing, i will (hopefully) post a "no issue OC day" review! wish me luck

13. mnglocker

mnglocker Rope Czar

Apr 22, 2006
    Minnesota

You don't need luck, just carry your self with confidence and be polite. :thumbsup:

14. Aran

Aran IUP Campus Lead

Jan 10, 2008
    Indiana, PA
    The first time, the manager talked to me first. The conversation was:

"Are you a cop?"
    "No, why?"
    "Do you have a license for that?"
    "In Pennsylvania, it's not required for open carry" (I didn't give him a yes or no, though at the time it was a no, and I had locked my Glock up in the back of the Jeep to drive there, thinking it was absolutely legal so long as I did that, before having found out differently, just to stave off any "YUO BROEK TEH LAWWSW!!!" comments)
    "Oh, okay."
    "Yeah, a lot of people don't seem to know, so I'm glad you asked before assuming anything was wrong."

He kind of scurried off at about "seem to know" and I wasn't looking at him, since I was still reading the coffee can I was holding (I still don't know the difference, beyond where it's grown, between Arabica and Columbian.) and when I looked he was gone. I just shrugged, stuck the can in my shopping cart, and my fiancee and I kept shopping for about ten minutes until I was approached by two State Troopers.

The second time... Okay, I kind of smudged over details on this one. There was no 911 call on this one. The Trooper was already in the back office dealing with a shoplifter (Who they let go after a short lecture, I overheard... If only I was so lucky.) and one of the associates who saw me with my holster revealed went and got him.

The manager who sat in the office with me for 15 minutes while the trooper took off with my wallet and ID to run my info had no idea what was going on other than he was told to come sit with me. So we talked about my motorcycle for most of the time. He was actually a pretty nice guy about it. He even asked "So did you break a law?" and seemed to believe me when I explained the legality of open carry.

This whole time I was sitting in a chair with pretty high arms with my hands handcuffed behind my back, in a motorcycle jacket with forward-curved arms. The trooper had to pull on my wrist to even get my hand in the second cuff, because my arm refused to move that way without assistance. And he cuffed me in the action figure aisle of the store, where I was quietly looking at... Pokemon toys. SCARY!

I don't want to make this post too long, and completely hijack the thread (Sorry... I think I already did, didn't mean to) but I'll leave you with a lovely quote by the trooper - "If you had your gun exposed walking down the street, you'd be likely to have found a gun at your head. My gun."

A quote I was sure to include in my complaint to the State Police local barracks and commissioner. Their response to the situation? http://www.songofthewinds.com/PSPResponse.jpg

(As copied from another, older post)

15. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    Rock on where it's legal. If you get detained, don't complain. Every last person with my agency is conversant with citizen carry law in the area they're working. And if there's any allegation or observation of iffy behavior, they're going to get stopped and talked to. Nothing wrong, they'll be sent on their way in short order.

16. RussP

RussP Moderator

Jan 23, 2003
    Central Virginia
    Bill, what is iffy behavior and what is your agency so GT members may amend any behavior that may be "iffy" in your jurisdiction?

17. Resqu2

Resqu2

Aug 24, 2007
    SouthWest VA
    So I went to Outback Steak House with my trusty G27 strapped on my side in a nice leather holster, my two way fire radio sits beside it. I have on a regular polo FD issued shirt with our emblem on the front. We walk in and it&#8217;s crowded as usual and no one even seems to notice my firearm. We waited to be seated and several people walk by, no one panics, no one calls the police, no one even seems to notice.

We take our seat and had a super gal serving us and she didn&#8217;t panic either. I&#8217;m sure she noticed my gun as it&#8217;s in plain view as REQUIRED by VA law. Our meal usually runs $35 but when my server brings my check her manager had told her that since I was with Fire and Rescue that she was to give me a discount, my $35 dollar meal had a total of $12.56 owed, can you guys believe that they would treat someone who open carries like that? This is only the second time I have got a discount there, got one a few years ago for the same amount. I tipped her nicely and told her to go and convey my thanks to her manager.

Now, my point in posting this is to prove that you can have a positive experience while OC'ing here in VA. I feel it&#8217;s all in the way you act and carry yourself. My clothing choice was what got me the discount and it wasn&#8217;t planned that way, just happened to have it on when we decided to eat there. I think some people here believe you will be thrown out of every store you go in and be arrested on site for OC'inc but I just don&#8217;t see it happening if you act and dress right.

On a side note to those that are SO against OC, I followed VA LAW to the letter and my choices were to OC, not go (not an option as I was HUNGRY), go unarmed and hope no one broke into my vehicle and took and used my gun, or CCW and violate VA law which is NOT an option for me or anyone with any brains about them. So before you anti OC guys jump me, give me another option to my above options and then we will talk

Thanks for taking time to read my story! :wavey::wavey:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.