close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Open carry of axes and hatchets

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by DoubleWide, Mar 25, 2012.

1. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    I can't find any laws regarding carrying of axes and hatchets. I'm not looking at tactical tomahawks, just hatchets and camp axes.

I really started out looking at large knives like the Junglas, but the states around me generally have a 5" max except when hunting. I know I can carry these large choppers CCW, but I figured the time I actually use it for a non-defense cutting, I might be in trouble.

2. Tiro Fijo

Tiro Fijo

May 31, 2011
    I'd say it's a good way to end up in the Psych Unit for an eval.

3. Tell me you will be wearing a viking helmet so I can complete my mental picture of the arrest. If I saw some guy walking toward my family with a tomahawk I would be ready to use deadly force. More power to you as you are an adult but them seems like a really bad idea to me. Don't mean to offend you just stating my opinion.

4. Warp

Warp ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Jul 31, 2005
    Atlanta
    ...what state???

And yes, I figure using an axe will result in trouble.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  5. DoubleWide

DoubleWide

Sep 3, 2008
    Iowa and Wisconsin

Think more going camping and running to the store than Viking warrior. More chopping wood than chopping off arms.

6. Good news as I really like my arms, reminded me of the Monty Python knight scene at the bridge.

7. B.Reid

B.Reid

Jun 20, 2005
    Montana
    The 2nd amendment says the right to bear arms, this is not restricted to firearms. Swords, tomahawks and daggers were very popular arms in the 1700's.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  8. Oramac

Oramac

Oct 15, 2008
    I can't say for those states, but I know when I go camping and such here in MO we've always carried an axe/hatchet of some sort. Usually it's used to chop firewood or hammer in tent stakes and such. Never had any problems, even after talking to cops and forest rangers. Though I assume it would be different if you carried one in general, rather than while camping.

9. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    http://budk.com/Gifts-and-Gadgets/Medieval-Arms/Medieval-War-Hammers-and-Clubs

[​IMG]

10. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    So, you would also shoot someone LEGALLY OPEN CARRYING who was coming in the direction of your family?!?!?

11. bear62

bear62

Feb 5, 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    We have open carry in Colorado ........ and seeing a guy open carry a gun doesn't alarm me at all.

Now if someone someone sit down next to me in a Burger King carrying a ax .... especially if he looked like Jack Nicholson ..... I'd probably move to the other side of the room ... or maybe go out and sit in my truck ............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Jul 4, 2000
    Waynesboro, VA
    http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Apocalypse-Kit_30-000601

[​IMG]

of course, if you die on the highways during the emergency, some kid is gonna find your kit.....

13. CA Escapee

CA Escapee Finally!

Feb 15, 2012
    Don't do it on a Friday. The psych ward is probably closed for business on the weekends, the 72 hour eval would probably start on Monday. :rofl:

Bill

14. No I would not shoot someone that is open carrying a gun. I live in Colorado and you see it time to time. I am almost 40 years old and have never seen someone carrying an axe so I don't know how I would react. I certainly don't run around hoping to shoot someone.

15. slickt0mmy

slickt0mmy

Jan 17, 2011
    Ohio
    For once, I agree with MoneyMaker. :faint: