close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open carry of a rifle and car carry of a rifle...

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by Prometheus77, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

Some states (like MN) allow open carry of rifle / shotgun...

Question 1- Is open carry of a rifle legal in Indiana? does it matter if it's loaded or unloaded?

Before anyone asks I'm not planning on walking thru the local Meijer with an Ak slung over my back, I'm just curious on the law.

To my knowledge carrying a loaded long arm in the car is illegal.

Question 2- Is it illegal to have a loaded rifle/shotgun in the car?

I've got a handgun carry license and I understand that applies only to handguns (open or concealed). I'm just curious about longarm laws.

Thanks in advance!

2. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

1. Yes, however, there are several hunting regulation that regulate it if you are shining deer or on an ATV.

2. No, as long as you not hunting or shining deer.

I'd look up the IAC regs, but I'm very tired so i'm going home. Someone will be along shortly with the cites.

3. Patrick Graham

Patrick Graham Footlong Jr.

There are still quite a few gun racks in the rear windows of pickup trucks in Kokomo.... Nobody ever seems to get in any trouble over it... but this is Kokomo and everyone has a gun here..

4. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

I know it's legal to have them unloaded in the car/truck, just don't drive in ILL and down lake shore with a pickup truck, let alone a gun in the window :shocked:

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll continue to try and find the regs, but it appears all I can turn up is hunting rules and hangun info...

I don't hunt so thats not an issue.

5. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

The images that stick in my mind are those during the time of the Carmel Murders trial and subsequent Mmoja Ajabu trial.

Mmoja attending son Kofi's trial with wife Jane (kid you not) had a 'bodyguard' with them that open carried a shotgun up to the courthouse steps, but not inside.

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P1-2354882.html

Those images blew my mind that the LEOs would let them do that. It gave off a very militant appearance.

6. rhino465

rhino465

I almost always have a loaded rifle with me in the truck. :supergrin:

7. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

If it was legal what could (or should) they have done to stop it?

I've got no love for those racists, but Rights are Rights and even they have them.

Nice to know open longarm carry is legal.. I'd still like clarification about loaded open carry of a longarm.

Ahhh I can see it now, tens of thouhsands of Hoosiers bringing their AR's and AK's with them on their daily shopping runs... Kinda like all those pics you see of the ppl in Israel with their Uzi's and AR's. :supergrin:

8. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

No clarification needed. With the exception of hunting the Indiana code does not restrict carrying of longarms, loaded or not. Do a search of the Indiana code and you will not find anything, period.

9. FThorn

FThorn TV/Movie Club

Still, I would bet that you would not get very far walking with a shotgun without a good reason. Disturbing the peace or some sort of thing might be tossed at you. (Causing a disturbance?)

10. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

When I am transporting my EBRs to and from the range, I usually have them in the case with a loaded mag inserted, but no round in the chamber. Two reasons, this is how I usually keep them at the house and you never know what might happen between the range and home.

I don't like keeping guns of any type in my car when I am not with them. I have had my car broken into before and if I had guns in there I would have just armed another criminal.

11. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

Probably why I couldn't find anything about it then , lol.

Thank you for the replies.

Fthorn, you could no more get charged with 'disturbing the peace' open carrying a rifle than a pistol. I would think that since a pistol is holstered you'd be better served if your long arm is on a sling rather than 'port arms' :thumbsup:

12. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Disturbing the peace? They better darn well start stopping these cars that you can hear from 15 miles away going THUMP! THUMP! THUMP!THUMP! That's disturbing the peace! ;)

13. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

Disturbing the Peace? For simplying carrying a rifle?

WTH is that? Some sort of city infraction or something???

14. rhino465

rhino465

Well, let's not forget the Terre Haute LEO method ...

1. Accost and detain law-abiding citizen who happens to be carrying openly.
    2. Lie to them that it's illegal to carry openly in Terre Haute.
    3. Threaten them with other bogus charges if necessary, as provocation is the key.
    4. Wait for the person to get angry enough that you can actually charge them with disturbing the peace... I mean, DISORDERLY CONDUCT.

:supergrin:

15. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

Your darn right...

A car pulled up behind me today with that crap and I [sarcasm on] dang near "busted out my gat and popped a cap in their azzes!"... I believe thats what they were playing, I can't be sure. My car should NOT move when they play their ghetto crap. I don't care for the middle age balding guys in their corvettes blasting beach boys, but atleast I can roll up the windows and it's barely or not at all audibal... rolling up the windows does jack against bass.

I've taken to nsulting their radios when I'm alone in my car now... Key words like "Loose" and "Rattle" and "get a real box" and my favorite "My moms $hi+ is tighter than that!" really set them off especially from a 'white boy' lol... one of these days one of those effers is going to raise up their lorcin so I waste their sorry butts, I just know it ;)[/sarcasm]

16. EAJuggalo

EAJuggalo

Causing a disturbance was the charge for the folks in WI that decided to march en masse through madison while open carrying. That would also be the charge against me if I were to walk around downtown Minneapolis with a shotgun.

on another note prometheus were you in Hammond or Gary at the time?

17. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Broken Member

What? Are we at the gun shop?

Minnesota? Wisconsin? Why is everyone talking about states that are not Indiana? It's like the Texans have taken over in here or something. "Well, I don't know about Camelturdistand, but in Texas . . . ." AAAAHHHH.

THERE IS NO "DISTURBING THE PEACE" STATUTE IN INDIANA! We have the offense of Disorderly Conduct which is a B Misdemeanor, 0 to 180 days, 0 to 1K fine. Disorderly conduct can be attained in several ways (fighting, rioting, unreasonable noise after being asked to stop, disrupting a lawful assembly). Cities and towns may have noise violation ordinances (the tickets for loud car stereos that were mentioned earlier) but merely carry fines.

Now, no more of talking about statutes that do not exist. No more talking about jurisdictions that have absolutely no relevance to Indiana law.

*rolls on floor* They're just like the Texans babbling on about Texas law when the question is addressed regarding East Frootloopistan.

18. Prometheus77

Prometheus77 GOA - RWVA

Hammond, I don't find myself in Gary often ;)

19. R. Emmelman

R. Emmelman Tired Member

Kirk the great is correct, except from what I have heard some local sheriff/PD think there is. :thumbsup:

20. RF7126

RF7126

KSFreeman,
    Could you tell me if it would be possible for a city to pass an ordinance including open carry under the idea of disturbing the peace? Or perhaps claiming that people were distressed by the open carry, and therefore we are disturbing the peace?

I've had Terre Haute officers tell me this, and I know others who have been threatened with it. Somehow, law or not, they've got it in their heads that we don't need to carry. I'm looking at getting into law enforcement, so I'm afraid to push the issue lest my record be permanently marred.