Open Carry In FL 2013?

Discussion in 'Florida Glockers Club' started by FloridaGun, Feb 5, 2013.

1. FloridaGun

FloridaGun -> 10mm

Does anyone know if there is going to be legislative movement to legalize open carry in FL in 2013??

I read somewhere on the Internet that its going to be brought up again.

How nice it would be to have that option available....
    Appendix open carry would be just awesome.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Less than 90 days to TX Open Carry Carry Issues Friday at 3:50 PM
    Open Carry Carry Issues Sep 20, 2015
    How Not To Open Carry Carry Issues Sep 13, 2015
    GUN CONTROL GROUP: call police anytime you see open carry or concealed Political Issues Sep 2, 2015
    CC-C school board won’t fight Michigan’s open carry gun laws Carry Issues Sep 2, 2015

3. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

Havent heard anything either, but it would be nice to not have to worry about "brandishing" even tho there was legislation passed for that

4. I wish theu would! It would make life so easy

Sent from my SCH-I110 using Tapatalk 2
  5. I don't see it happening. Especially not in light of recent political events. Florida may be gun-friendly, but I doubt legislators will do anything to stir up the pot at this time.
    #4 FLAHOTROD, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. bingo

not going to happen and we have more of a chance for a snow blizzard in Florida b4 OC is allowed.
  7. Thank God
  8. Branding or printing has never been a problem with my Glock's and 1911's!
  9. I am not an open carry fan, nor have I advocated for open carry in the past - but after reading/reviewing some of the incidents where CCW'ers carrying concealed have been arrested following some "brief incidental exposure" of their concealed firearm I have begun to feel a bit differently. Regretfully, I have to agree with FLAHOTROD that we are not likely to see much support for liberalizing our state's firearms laws further.
  10. 790.053 Open carrying of weapons.—
    (1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
    (2) A person may openly carry, for purposes of lawful self-defense:
    (a) A self-defense chemical spray.
    (b) A nonlethal stun gun or dart-firing stun gun or other nonlethal electric weapon or device that is designed solely for defensive purposes.
    (3) Any person violating this section commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.
    History.—s. 1, ch. 87-537; s. 173, ch. 91-224; s. 3, ch. 97-72; s. 1205, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2006-298; s. 1, ch. 2011-145.
  11. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

i am not real big on OC either but i would vote for it if i could. anything to help people carry is good for me.
  12. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

This link goes to a thread that discusses the case of a young black man walking down the sidewalk with a glock on his hip with a light tshirt covering the pistol and the holster showing from beneath the tshirt. In posession of a FL CCW permit at the time.

Arrested, prosecuted and convicted for OC.

The case in my opinion was decided incorrectly because a holster is not the firearm exposure of the holster seems to be his offense.

In any event, the case is under appeal and has the potential for overturning the prohibition against OC.
    #11 SpectreRider, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  13. FloridaGun

FloridaGun -> 10mm

Where can I get more info/watch this case go down?
  14. SpectreRider

SpectreRider Armed Citizen

Hoping that a couple of the guys who had contributed the facts and links will chime in again on that thread.

Last info was that appeal was to be heard around this just passed Feb or the March that we are in.

The original video of the event (police dashcam) has moved from the link in the first post but i found a lot of interesting info on the site linked (all nine yards) including our A.G. Pam Bondi filing to try to keep the court from ruling broadly on the appeal.
    #13 SpectreRider, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013