close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Open Carry In AZ

Discussion in 'Grand Canyon Glockers' started by DeadSteam, Jun 8, 2007.

1. DeadSteam

DeadSteam

Jun 5, 2007
    Phoenix,AZ
    Hello, I'm thiking of moving into the AZ area, pref near phoenix. I was wondering a little bit about what the gun athmospher was liek out there? I have found some conflicting information, particularly regarding open carry. Some have told me that open carry is widely accepted, and others have said you can be arrested just for the gun being on the wrong side of the officer if you are approched. I checked packing.org but it won't give anything close the the first hand experience you all will have living there.

So, what's it like in AZ?

2. hospitalcop

hospitalcop

Feb 23, 2007
    Mesa Az
    Its the wild west..there is gunfights in every part of town. Just kidding. open carry is legal, but CCW makes much more sense. It pays not to advertise, unless you want someone to hassle you.

3. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Phoenix is the big city. Expect to have ignorant people call the police because of you.

4. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

The more folks that carry openly, the more folks will get used to it. I say go for it.

5. DeadSteam

DeadSteam

Jun 5, 2007
    Phoenix,AZ
    Thanks for the replies. I'd like to apologize for all the spelling errors in my first post. anyways. I understand that most people think that CCW is smarter than open carry, truth is I kinda do too. I was really asking what the athmosphere is like there, I knew one guy who told me that I would relatively frequently see people openly carrying, and another that told me I would be arrested for doing so, if I was carrying on my right hip and a police officer was on my left side....

I understand that stupid people in phoenix will call the police, my real question is are the police smart? when they receive a call about something that is totally legal(open carry) do they respond appropriately or freak out because someone has a gun?

I guess I'm asking how common ccw/open carry is around you guys. and how it's treated. Here in South Dakota Open carry is very legal, but in Sioux Falls I have been stoped multiple times by police who didn't know that. After 45 minutes of harrasment they tell me I'm legal and let me go. I was just wondering if Arizona, Phoenix in particular is at all like that.

6. thetoastmaster

thetoastmaster NOT a sheepdog!

The problem with Phoenix is that most of the people that live theri now are not actually from there (too many left coast transplants). I can't say if it's true of the police too, or not.

I foresee a time when Arizona is completely Kalifornicated, and her libetarian streak will be completely erased. You can help reverse the trend by open carrying as often as possible. When I lived in Arizona, I used to open carry neary every day.

7. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    As a police officer for over 23 years in the netro Phoenix area, I can say that I got calls all the time about people with guns. Of course, its made up to be a high priority call in case some looney is running loose with one. Many were people playing airsoft in the street [I personally wish people would stop this in the city and in plain view of sheeple], some were just moseying around town with a holstered pistol, some were leaving a gunshop [!], some were going to or returning to the range and their neighbors had issues with guns, some were squirt guns/BB guns/toy guns, etc.

Are the police smart? Heck, is the public smart? We hire all cops from the public, ya know... I would hope that most cops have looked at and made themselves familiar with weapon misconduct laws, but you can never be certain about anything. I have seen more than a few dumb cops here.

Very few people are natives here and they all expect to live like the did in California, the midwest, and the east coast. They expect the same laws to apply too. I quit going to Court or out on the street with an exposed holstered sidearm/handcuffs/badge/radio/etc. because some fool would only see the pistol and call it in. It got old real quick to tell dispatch that the armed man near the school was a cop trying to conduct an investigation.

Do yourself a favor and get a CCW and carry that way. You won't get stopped by a nervous cop doing a 'tactical' stop on you for having a firearm and you have the upper edge in case something happens while you are about doing your thing.

Save open carry for Cowboy shoots, hunting, and exploring out in the rural parts of the state where more people have their heads screwed on straight.

8. DeadSteam

DeadSteam

Jun 5, 2007
    Phoenix,AZ
    Thank you for your reply. I want to clarify that I wasn't attempting to insult the police, or question their inteligence. It was more of a poorly worded attempt at humor.

For example I was once stoped here in Sioux falls by a detective responding to a "man with a gun" call. the first words out of his mouth were "don't worry your perfectly legal to carry a gun" Followed by his next actions being disamrming me, Not handcuffing me but restraining me with my arm behind my back and my front pressed against his car, and then searched me including going through my wallet to check for my CCW (which was not required for open carry). After about 20 minutes of running all my personal information and having 5 more officers arrive on the scene, he handed me back my loaded gun and said, yep your not doing anything illegal, have a nice day.

When I get treatment like that where I'm living now I have to wonder what it will be like when I move. I was really just hoping to get feedback from people living in the area about the general pro/anti gun feeling. Especially when it's on average like 105 in the summer... I'm used to the cold.

anywasy, thanks again for your response and I hope you understand that I really wasn't attempting to insult anyone. I used smart to simply refer to commonsense. If the police got a call saying that someone was driving and obeying the speed limit I imagine the response would be something like "no ****, thanks for wasting our time". All I hope is that they respond the same way if a call were to be recieved saying that a man is shopping in the mall, and he's openly carrying a gun.

I guess I just would have to get there and see what it's like. I tell you what though. I'm sick of having to justify why I'm exercising my rights.

Oh well. I guess I'll see. Since my job transfer came through and I will be moving into phoenix.

thanks all for the help and for the feedback.

9. Azjeeper

Azjeeper

May 28, 2007
    I open carry from time to time and have never had a negative experience with the police, only time I notice any raised eyebrows is when an out of state tourist passes me. People dont even look twice at me. and when I am out I see people carrying handguns in home improvent stores coffee shops and all sorts of buisnesses and I seem to be the only guy doing double takes checking out what the other guy is packing. Arizona is a long way from being the next california politcally I lived in calif before and honestly I think los angeles and sanfranciso run that state. Just open carry in a tasteful manner and carry yourself like a gentleman be a good ambassador for the 2nd amendment. a right not exercised is a right lost. Im sure you will love it here. just remember its a dry heat.

10. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    No insult taken. No need to worry.

My idea to is blend in and avoid controversy. I have been the one who gets called out to deal with a citizen with a gun and if the citizen is be legit, who cares? Too many people get wound up when they see someone with one in a holster, but not enough call when it is being waved around or pointed at someone.

Just realize that Arizona is going downhill politically and there are already cries to rein in gun ownership. Too many non-natives with the idea that they want this to be like where they came from instead of adopting the Arizona way of life.

By the way, if you open carry in the Phoenix area, expect to get stopped like you did in Sioux Falls. We aren't a nice quiet little place any more, sad to say.

11. Azjeeper

Azjeeper

May 28, 2007
    Is the actual city of phoenix that much different than the east valley? I am in mesa and honestly see alot of people open carry. Ive walked by many of east valleys finest with an exposed sidearm and I have nothing bad to say about those fine gentelmen. who knows maybe being clean cut with a short hair cut helps me out?

12. I used to open carry in the metro
    phoenix area in fact i carried that
    way for over 13 years.I had zero
    problems with the police and the
    general public,no one ever called the police on me and i carried every
    where that it was legal to do so.

It was only a year ago that i got my
    Az ccw permit and started carrying
    concealed most of the time.But the
    main reason i got the permit is that
    i could carry concealed in other states when i travel with my wife.

13. vart

vart

Feb 17, 2000
    The Palouse
    I'm an AZ newbie; been here for just over a year.

I lived in Iowa for a few years before moving here, and grew up in Idaho.

The Midwest definately does suck in terms of acceptance of firearms; any state that bans rifles for hunting deer has some firearm phobia issues:upeyes: .

Idaho is heaven on earth in every respect except for employment, and I plan on moving back there when I retire.

This state, however, can go from heaven on earth to hell on earth within an hour's drive;) .

I live an hour or so north of Phoenix and I regularly open-carried until I could afford my CCW. I had absolutely no problems, and I even carried in Costco.

However, I have a military haircut, am white, 6'1" 250 lbs, dress nicely, etc.

Maybe the East-coasters and Cali-transplants mistake me for an off-duty shepard??

OTOH, I never open-carried in Phoenix, but I always carried a sidearm the couple of times I went there pre-CCW.

My advice would be to go to the Gunsite CCW class ASAP, pay the $100 class fee, plus $65 for the CCW, get invaluable info on AZ gun laws, and carry discreetly and legally:thumbsup: .

14. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Prescott? It is turning into a liberal artist colony. I used to go up there for the rodeo on July 4th and antelope hunting north and east of the Dells. The place acts like California, now that many of them bailed and live there now. I remember when some liberal fool stuck a sign on the Roughriders statue saying "no more war". How nice! They ruined a perfectly nice place.

The heck with Gunsite for CCW, as it is too much money. Go attend a community college for less money and the same training. Save the money for an advanced class there.

15. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

May 13, 2007
    Arizona Oven
    East Valley is definitely different than Phoenix proper, or especially Snobbsdale - God forbid you open carry there! (although, now that I am thinking about it, maybe I should open carry there MORE!)

What if everyone who had a firearm carried openly? Wow, that would shock alot of people, eh? LOL :banana:

16. bbvk05

bbvk05 Señor Member

May 18, 2007
    Lived in phoenix/metro my whole life. We natives have the general sense that things are not as good as they used to be, but as far as open carry goes just go for it, you will not have many problems. I open carry regularly and have never been stopped by a LEO or any kind of establishment for carrying there. In almost the whole city nobody even gave me a second look with a g22 or g23 strapped on. The only place I have ever gotten stares was at In-N-Out burger in chandler. California people were just crapping themselves.

when you carry, open or concealed, it is important to remember never to go in a place that serves alcohol, not even an olive garden.

17. DeadSteam

DeadSteam

Jun 5, 2007
    Phoenix,AZ
    Hey, Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like most of you have never had any trouble openly carrying. That's great news to me, not just cause I like OC but because it means less hassle for things like accidental printing/exposing. About the Gunsite comment, I don't know If I would go there for their basic class or not, but I am very excited about being so close to attend some of the more advanced stuff they teach.

Well as it turns out I will be living in Phoenix as of this upcoming Monday. :)

I promise not to stink the place up.

Now I just need to find a good apartment.

18. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    If you want a CCW permit, go to Glendale Community College. Since it is a college class, it is tax-deductible as education and you get college credits for it. A darn good program at or less than the big dollar places like SGC/Gunsite/etc.

19. G26AZ

G26AZ

Aug 16, 2001
    Arizona
    I've seen a few open carrys in my local Wal-Mart. Most of the time people don't notice a thing - they're too wrapped up in their own problems of trying to remember what CD they're gonna but or whatever. One day there was a slightly CHarlie Manson looking type with an R&G POS revolver on his belt, a bunch of cartridge loops, a HUGE knife and . . . . . HANDCUFFS! I followed him around for awhile to watch the reactions of people when they saw his gun, but until he got in line, I never saw anybody that noticed the gun. I saw some disapproving looks at his appearance, but nobody seemed to notice that he was armed.
    After that I stopped worrying about whether or not there was a slight buldge on my right side under my shirt or not.
    Most of the time unless you do something to draw attention to yourself, the only ones who will notice that you're open carrying will be the CCW/GT readers amongst us.

20. Azjeeper

Azjeeper

May 28, 2007
    Yea I think I am the only guy who really looks at people. Hope Im not mistaken for an anti. I never worry about printing in public much. There are alot of good places to take your ccw class I took mine at caswells in mesa. I would love to go to gunsite but doubt I will be able to afford it in the near future. good luck with the apartment hunt.