close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Open Carry holster (I really like this one!) Safariland 6360

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Warp, May 4, 2012.

1. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've posted holster questions multiple times. I think the last time I tried to find a OWB/open carry holster I picked a Galco COP 3-slot. While I will be keeping the 3-slot I have for my G19, just so that I have an OWB for it, my primary OWB carry gun is now a G21SF. And I will be selling the 3-slot I have for it. It has been replaced by what I feel is a much better holster. It is more comfortable (believe it or not), more secure (from a gun grab), more stable (on my belt, don't know why) and far more consistent to draw from.

Safariland 6360. It did literally cost 4x as much as the Galco it is replacing (it was brand new, Galco was used on fleabay) but it is very nice. Safariland classifies it as Level III retention but I call serious stat-padding on that. It's really a Level II + the hood guard that sits there.

Just thought I'd share. I was very hesitant to buy a "duty holster", but I think it was definitely the right call, for me. I might try some different belt/paddle attachments later.

And here it is, in all its glory, on a Wilderness Instructor 1.75" belt (matches better than my beltman belt). I apologize for somehow finding a way to neutral-color the heck out of these pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Warp, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  2. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Hey, I wanna know where I can get yellow pants like those!!!!!!!!!

:rofl:

3. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

View the world through an iPhone's lens using inexpensive indoor CFLs. You'll realize exactly how many yellow things you have! :whistling:

4. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7
    Expand Collapse

Safariland makes great OC holsters. That thing has great retention.

5. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

They really do. I'm pretty sure you use one of their ALS holsters. When I was doing my research I came across your posts about it on opencarry.org. :)

This one has the SLS and ALS systems.

If I ever get specific enough to shop for a good OWB concealment holster I'll probably get one of the basic ALS models.

#5 Warp, May 4, 2012
  6. dotsun

dotsun
    Expand Collapse
    conf t

Cool holster, Warp. I can't tell from your pics but does it have the basket weave pattern?

7. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh yes, something I should note: This holster is listed as fitting the G20/G21. I have a G21SF. It doesn't really matter, I don't think, but I can tell the holster was designed for the full width frame of the non SF model. There is some vertical play while it's in the holster and tightening the tension screw doesn't change anything, and I don't want to tighten it more for fear of breaking something. It doesn't seem to effect function, and I don't recall seeing any listed for the SF models, but it's something worth checking out before spending the money, I'd say.

8. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, it does not. It's "plain black", which means just smooth black plastic on most of the exterior. I refuse to buy a basket weave pattern duty holster since I am not in LE and it wouldn't have anything to match. I think it would just look silly.

#8 Warp, May 4, 2012
  9. ijacek

ijacek
    Expand Collapse

Safariland makes the best holsters for duty. The hood guard is a very useful weapon retention device, so don't knock it :cool:

As far as the level of retention, if you have the ALS model, which I believe it is, you do have a level III.

The one thing to remember with this type of holster is that you cannot go cheap on the belt. A quality, sturdy belt that will support that holster during draw/re-holstering/weapon retention, is a must!

Other than that, Congrats on the great holster.

10. Warp

Warp
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, there is an ALS device in there to operate after swiping the hood down.

I know they call it a level III, but I don't buy it. That SLS hood, which can very quickly and easily be rotated out of the way in one fast, fluid motion, should not count as two levels IMO. They even said in the literature that came with the holster that the two "separate" motions could, with practice, be done with one movement. Well then how does that qualify as two levels? :headscratch: At any rate it has as many retention devices as anybody outside of a correctional facility/jail/prison is probably ever going to have. (I opted out of the sentry, which turns it into what they call level IV)

That Wilderness belt does a great job. It's the 1.75" and I think it even has the polymer insert as well. I also have a 1.5" leather beltman belt, but since it's brown/tan it doesn't match this holster very well.

#10 Warp, May 4, 2012
  11. dotsun

dotsun
    Expand Collapse
    conf t

Cool, I didn't think it did but I wasn't sure from your pics. The first few I looked at online were all BW.

12. tshadow6

tshadow6
    Expand Collapse

Is GA an open carry state? Is that holster for your uniform? I would love to open carry in FL when I am off duty, but I am restricted to OC only in uniform. Enjoy your holster.

13. Glockdude1

Glockdude1
    Expand Collapse
    Federal Member
    CLM

Any problems drawing the pistol? Most duty holsters need a very stiff belt to stop it from "moving", while trying to unlock it, to draw the pistol.

:cool:

14. rockapede

rockapede
    Expand Collapse

I've used similar SLS and ALS holsters for a couple of years now and in my experience, they all have vertical play. I can't tell that the tension screw really does much on my current or past holsters.

15. truetopath

truetopath
    Expand Collapse

Looks like a nice holster!

16. rmodel65

rmodel65
    Expand Collapse

GA has always been an open carry state it wasnt until after the race riots and the state wanting to disarm black men did OC require a license...concealed carry was a criminal act and illegal until about 15 years ago even if licensed....you could be cuffed and stuffed for CC....the same was never true about OC

#16 rmodel65, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012