close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Open Carry allowed in Schools with CCW Permit?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by mgs, Nov 5, 2013.

1. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    cogan station, pa, usa
    Interesting video from MI. Not sure if this is true in PA. We have a Shooting Club/Team at our HS where I work and we have an Open House / Gun Show for the Team by various shooting clubs. As long as it's a school function, we can have firearms on campus. That is a bit different from daily open carry. Your thoughts on this video?

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/...eral-community-what-he-saw-will-surprise-you/

Mike.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  2. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Totally legal in MI. Kind of odd. Two laws list schools as pistol free zones. Result? Open carry legal in schools if you have concealed carry permit.

Old law lists schools as PFZ, except for those with CPL, from when only cops and the connected could get them as MI was may issue.

Fast forward to new law making Michigan shall issue, schools are again PFZ fur concealed carry. However, CPL holders can possess in schools due to old law, but can't carry concealed due to new law. Thus they can open carry in schools, actually must open carry.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

3. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    This is correct...However, it is extremely rare for a CPL holder to open carry in a school. I know of only one documented case and the guy called the school ahead of time to make sure that they would not call the police. Not worth the hassle!

4. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Many have OC'ed in a school.

5. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    Did I forget to say too much of a hassle for a "normal" person...:supergrin:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  6. steveksux

steveksux Massive Member

Jul 12, 2007

I think OC is still relatively rare in MI, and many are reluctant to cause a scene if someone spots the gun and freaks out at the school thinking the worst.

Probably many have OC'd in school out of the OC community in areas that are not anti gun. Varies widely by location.

FYI, State police have issued a legal update confirming it is legal to local LE, having a copy handy would not hurt if anyone is thinking about trying it.

Randy

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Ohub Campfire mobile app

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  7. rudutchyet

rudutchyet

Mar 3, 2013
    MI
    just because you can
    does not mean you should

8. zbusdriver

zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    Ding!...Ding!...Ding! We have a winner! Discussion over.

9. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Might prove to provide a few interesting threads here if it became more common.

10. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

Sep 5, 2010
    About a year ago the governor of Michigan had a bill on his desk that he was apparent ready to sign.

That bill would have reduced the restrictions of concealed carry and, if I remember correctly, would have allowed concealed carry in schools.

Then guess what happened? Yep, Sandy Hook, and ironically the governor said the timing wasn't right to sign the bill into law.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, and provide more details if ya can.

11. nope. you summed it up. as much as i dont like snyder, i can see the reasoning on why he didnt sign it, considering the sandy hook incident at the same time.. the media would have "murdered" him...

12. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    I thought that guns in public schools was against Federal law.

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Agree.

Just look at what happened at Starbucks.....:whistling:

14. Psychman

Psychman NRA Life Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Indiana

Nope.

15. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

Sep 5, 2010
    Know what ya mean, I'm sure not impressed with Snyder either.

I say it's ironic that he didn't sign the bill 'cause, in my eyes, it would make schools safer.

16. TK-421

TK-421

Oct 12, 2012
    Pflugerville, TX
    People need to learn that it's not the person with the holstered gun you have to worry about, it's the guy with the un-holstered gun you have to worry about. And the more holstered guns there are, the less likely there will be an un-holstered gun.

17. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    I think it's important to remember that even under the "old law", concealed weapon "permits" were issued by county gun boards, and permits were issued in three categories:
    1. Hunting & Target
    2. Home, bank & business
    3. General

Hunting & Target permits basically only allowed transport of an unloaded, cased firearm to a gun range, gun shop or to go hunting, and the ability to have the pistol concealed when in the field and the carrier had a valid hunting license.

Home, Bank & Business is self explanatory.
    From your home to your business and to your bank and if IIRC security guards.

General permits were basically only issued to retired LEO's, or to those with connections or friends in "high places".
    Each county gun board had total say in who got these permits and the restrictions they chose to include on the permit.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  18. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster Millennium Member

Sep 24, 1999
    Hartford, Vermont
    That's right - shoot the SOB.

19. I agree and if there is not a class that they know about it would be a good way to get shot by pd if they don't know why you are there. :dunno:

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  20. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    You're right although I don't think he would have signed it regardless of Sandy Hook. Looking at the fact he does not want to reduce the number of "pistol free zones" without giving localities the right to regulate firearms, tells me he wasn't going to sign the bill.