close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

One time shot .223 brass question

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by .45 guy, Apr 18, 2010.

1. .45 guy

.45 guy

May 18, 2008
    Ohio
    I;ve been loading a lot of mixed .223 brass. So I switch to some Hornady, I know was shot once. Using the same die set up as my other brass, it wouldn't size enough. (using a case gauge)I had to adjust my dies for this Hornady. Is this because it was fired one time?

2. dudel

dudel

Dec 10, 2008
    Texas Hill Country
    Is this .223 or 5.56 NATO brass? Have you trimmed this once fired brass?

If not, you may have to pull the ones you've loaded, as they might not chamber.

Rifle brass is much more sensitive to case lenght and needs to be checked for lenght each time. Especially when they were shot from a different chamber. The brass fireformed to that chamber and likely blew the case shoulders to that dimension.

3. .45 guy

.45 guy

May 18, 2008
    Ohio
    It was picked up off a police range. Then sized, trimmed, chamfer by me. I havn't loaded any of this brass yet. Just check it in the case gauge.

4. GLShooter

GLShooter

Jan 3, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    You will find that different brands of brass will react a sizer differently due the difference in "springiness" of the brass. Some brass will need a bigger shoulder movement then others to arrive at the same head space measurements on the datum line.

LC vs Winchester commercial is a good case in point. The LC seems to need more of a shove as it is pretty hard and springs back a tad more.

Greg

5. .45 guy

.45 guy

May 18, 2008
    Ohio