close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

One Stop Cleaning with Breakfree CLP

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by camario, Feb 16, 2011.

1. camario

camario Glockaholic

Oct 31, 2009
    SoCal
    I was at the Las Vegas GSSF match and talked to the Glock Armorer and they clean Glocks using only Breakfree CLP in the oil form (no-aerosol). Cleans, Lubricates and Protects. What do you guys think of that? Can I really get rid of my Hoppes and my Rem Oil and my Gunzilla?

2. AA#5

AA#5

Nov 26, 2008
    Only if you're not very picky about a clean gun.

Breakfree does have some cleaning properties but it's mainly a light-duty lubricant & rust inhibitor. It won't dissolve crud like a solvent will.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

3. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg BTF Inventor

Jun 14, 2002
    CLP is great for "wet" guns like m4's and 1911's. It is a very inefficient solo solution for "dry" guns like glocks.

4. m24swsbar

m24swsbar

Dec 12, 2010
    South FL
    It's what I use on all my weapons and what we use in the military.

5. wickedarachnid

wickedarachnid one cool dude

Jan 29, 2011
    kansas city Missouri
    great thing about gun cleaning is everyone is always wrong according to someone else. Do it the way you feel comfortable and don't let others convince you you are doing it wrong. if you want to try it out then so be it but don't throw away you other supplies just because someone else told you you were doing it wrong. I use Winchester powder blaster solvent and rem oil and I like the way my guns come out but according to someone else I am ruining my guns.

6. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    I use it all the time. It is a good compromise between a pure solvent and an oil. For deep cleaning break out the solvents and coper fouling removers. One of my Glocks has had over 5000 rounds with nothing but CLP and no failures, excessive wear or excessive fouling. BTW it had over 100,000 rounds fired by a police academy before I bought it. The log book showed they used CLP.

7. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Jun 25, 2007
    Tampa, FL
  8. Luminary

Luminary

Oct 26, 2009
    CLP and Isoprophyl 91% Alcohol are all I use on my guns. I'll put a drop of Mobil 1 oil on the required parts/areas.

9. I have been using CLP since the 70's, if I have an extra dirty bore I will break out the Hoppes but that is rare.

10. South Fla

South Fla ©South Fla 2015

Oct 10, 2006
    Duh...
    The over-the-counter BreakFree is a different formula than the mil-spec stuff.

From the Sig Forum:

11. tuf8seconds

tuf8seconds TEXAS COWBOY

Sep 1, 2010
    TEXAS/FL
    I say, take care of your weapons as best you can....even if it takes 10 steps to do it right. The military guys may have a better spec of BreakFree to clean their weapons with...and besides that, the military guys aint paying for prematurely worn out or damaged weapons, WE ARE!!!!!....Your carry weapon is too important to take any chances with, it could save your life. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!!!!!!

12. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Jan 24, 2005
    SC
    When I learned that CLP was being used by the US Military, that was good enough for me. If their firearms are clean, lubed, and ready to go, what more can you ask?

I've been on board about 10 years with CLP.

13. Jack23

Jack23 I. B. Glockin'

Feb 10, 2005
    Deer Park, Texas
    :agree: From the very first I have used Hoppe's #9 solvent and Hoppe's Gun Oil or Rem Oil on all my Glocks. But on my AR-15 and all my revolvers I use the Break Free CLP, I run my AR wet and I have NO problem with keeping it clean and runnin' smooth.

14. JBP55

JBP55

Mar 4, 2007
    Louisiana
    I use Weapon Shield CLP and lube essential parts with Mobil 1 20W50.

15. FM12

FM12 I need AMMO!

Jun 17, 2007
    Alabama
    Not sure it would clean a leaded bore very well, but it might.

16. dukhunter20

dukhunter20

Jan 15, 2010
    Tulsa, OK
    Use "over-the-counter" break free clp here. Has been working for me. The only reason why it would be "wet" is if you apply too much. I saturate a q-tip and apply to the needed areas of lube. This keeps everything nice and neat.

17. BreakFree CLP is all I use, and all I have used for years. Of course, to be fair, and I know I'm about to be flamed and hated for this, but truthfully I've never bought a single drop. You fine folks buy it for me, and a little here and a little there manages to make it off the range when we go out..... My mentality has always been if it's good enough for military, it's good enough for me. That doesn't hold true for all things military, but I accept it for CLP.

18. bentbiker

bentbiker NRA Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    I have always used only CLP after my Army days. However, I'm trying some Wilson Combat white lithium grease on the rails (especially for the AA kit) at present.

There have previously been posts by proponent of M-Pro 7 which I've never used, and today Dvor, the new special deals website division of OpticsPlanet sent out a notice of special deals on all their cleaning stuff. If interested, you can see their deals only after signing up to receive their announcements: http://www.dvor.com/s/5ofp5h.html

19. I prefer Slip 2000, same idea. However, for any firearm, it's really not so much a matter of what lube you use but rather how you use it. Although I find remoil to be at the bottom of the barrel, way too thin for my liking.