One-Shot Drops Surviving the Myth

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by RMTactical, Jun 9, 2005.

1. NAC

NAC

What X-ray said. Had a similar case here in AZ a few years ago. AZ DPS officer shot and killed a suspect who ended up facing away from the trooper in the process. Good shoot and cleared. I'll try to look up the case.

The other issue is, one can be maneuvering out of the line of fire and end up with the suspects back facing you. If the BG is still actively engaging you even if your facing his rear, well then good shoot.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. dead right there!
    South Africa vets using identical cartridges in a culling operation on cape buffalo were instructed to shoot for broadside and hit heart/lung area.
    some buffalo went down instantly - others ran.
    autopsies revealed that the drt had massive cranial explosion.
    theory was when shot at the instant of heart pumping, the large increase in blood pressure impacted the brain cavity and caused massive hemorrhaging- the blood acted hydraulically(non compressible) to increase blood pressure.

3. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

WOW I posted in this thread:dunno:

#463 M&P Shooter, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2012
  4. true believer

this guy would swear by a 10mm!!!
    :wavey:

5. M&P Shooter

M&P Shooter Metal Member

Hey it's my favorite stalker:rofl:

#465 M&P Shooter, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  6. true believer

:upeyes::whistling:

7. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Thanks. For dangerous game that explains why the lung shot is preferred.

It doesn't take much angle to make a bullet ricochet harmlessly off.

8. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Link doesn't work at 2100 12Sep11

9. BB611

10. good article thanks

11. Sounds to me like I should carry a rifle, a handgun, and a good, sharp, hook bladed knife.

And my pockets are already so full . . .

12. There was a shooting about a month or two ago in my area were the gentleman was shot in the face. From what i understand and heard the bullet hit the guy in the sinuses and caused severe damage, but he ran away from the scene and survived. So even a head/face shot is not a for sure fight stopper. Yes this man had a bad day, but if he was armed he could have returned fire.

13. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

I bet that he avoided sneezing for a while :cool:

14. NAC

NAC

It is if it makes it to the brain or brain stem. Sure, it can happen where people are hit in the head but if the round doesn't penetrate to vital areas anything can happen. What caliber was used? What angle was the shot taken from, from the side of the face into the cavity or directly anterior to posterior? Did it stop the threat? All rhetorical questions not meant to be pugnacious in anyway.

The only thing that will stop a fight instantly is a CNS hit. For that a shooter must hit the brain, brain stem, or spine. If the bullet doesn't pass through the in-between mediums to hit those anatomical structures then it's anyones call what will happen. The human will to survive can't be quantified. In the early 80's there was an officer that took a shotgun slug to the face and survived. He's seen in many police training videos.

Not saying it can't happen, but if someone is shot with a high velocity rifle round to the critical areas. the chances are less than good that they will survive or at a minimum continue to fight.

15. Your better off shooting someone in the pelvis than the head to stop them

16. Depends. Are they holding a gun and can shoot back? Just because they drop doesn't mean they stop being a threat. Is your shot placement going to be good enough anyway? Etc.

#477 cowboy1964, Nov 6, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  17. Not for the squeamish, but recently ran across this video from an anesthesiologist that pretty much defines why Rifles>Pistols.

Sadly, the uploader chose an inaccurate title.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tku8YI68-JA"]Rifle>Pistol[/ame]

18. SCmasterblaster

Millennium Member

Very informative video. Did you notice that he referred to a .22 bullet as 22 millimeter. Dumb mistake.

19. no, you AINT better off shooting at the pelvis than at the head. That's been debunked many times, so quit spreading bs, ok?