One-Shot Drops Surviving the Myth

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by RMTactical, Jun 9, 2005.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

2. randy1503

randy1503 Lewis and Clark

maybe those guys who were shot and didn't flinch were high on drugs.

3. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member
    Millennium Member

Even cops shot during gunfights report not noticing they were hit until after the fight was over. Adrenalin dump is a very powerful thing.

4. RMTactical

CLM

Yep, so don't stop shooting!!! ;)

5. utahglock

Millennium Member

So we accepting a "collage" as a way to destroy a myth? Sounds intellecually silly and lazy to me.

I've never advocated shooting only once-the one shot stop whether you agree or not is simply a unit of measurement.

Evan

6. jimco

Millennium Member

BUT even you admit, the "one shot stop" (you shoot somebody once and they stop) is a myth, and as a unit of measure, the percentages are all but meaningless and misused when it comes to any real world application (other than, of course, selling magazine articles and books).

7. turbonatr

turbonatr Senior Member
    Millennium Member

...and ammo.

8. jimco

Millennium Member

Yep! CorBon and Triton have probably both benefitted greatly from some of those gunrag articles. In fact, a few of those "articles" should have been billed as "infomercials" rather than articles.

9. When in doubt,
    empty the mag! ;f

10. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

If you miss your dead. There is a difference between hesitating because your not mentally ready to shoot someone and taking enough time to make well placed shots. Point shooting works great if your close enough to touch the bad guy past that it sucks.
    Pat

11. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

12. I've been shot twice in hunting accidents. One I didn't even feel, one hurt really, really badly. The one that hurt more was superficial, the one I didn't even feel was not superficial, to say the least.

13. Twice!? ;P

I don't mean to offend you, but do you have an 8-point rack growing out of your head or something? ;e

I'm glad you're OK though. There's another one for "stopping power", as I'm sure whoever shot you wasn't using a hyper-powerful 10mm handgun cartridge with an astounding 650 ft-lbs of energy. It was probably just a measly .243 Winchester with only 2200 ft-lbs that you didn't even feel...

Jeff

14. jimco

Millennium Member

TWICE? Remind me to never share a stand with you! :)

15. Linh40

Linh40 Member

Who shot you? your friends? and if so do you still go hunting with them? Safety first

16. RMTactical

CLM

No kidding, and what were you shot WITH?

17. paccw

paccw ARE YOU READY !

What most reports lack.

2 to the chest then 1 to the head survivors.And any caliber will do.;c

18. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

I was taught to keep shooting until the threat is neutralized. I taught that same philosophy to my students for 15 years.

Another thing that bugs me. Marshall and Fackler both have some good ideas. If they would work together, and BOTH be willing to give up preconceived notions, we would all be better off.

It seems to me that BOTH of them, are so damned busy trying to "prove" their preconceived notions that they are blinded to any information that doesn't fit those notions.

They're both potentially good researchers. What a pity they both put petty jealousies before the advance of knowledge.:(

19. i know an old guy who was shot once w/ a .45 to the left of COM a little below the shoulder and said he didnt know he was hit until after the shooting stopped (he's an old body guard), and on the flip side my friend shot a guy COM (in self defense) w/ a 9mm black talon and the guy dropped and died right there. neither of the above incidents had multiple wounds, just one. so id say shot placement is pretty important.

20. We should all believe the delightfully sweet natured Evan Marshall and his entirely believable OSS statistics. ;Q