close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

One of my GHBs

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by ancient_serpent, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    I've been meaning to post up a picture of one of my GHBs for a while, so here it is. It contains:
    -medical shears
    -2 Israeli bandages
    -1 abdominal bandage
    -3 types of clotting agent
    -2 tourniquets
    -2 Ascherman chest seals
    -1 nasalpharengeal tube
    -2 rolls medical tape
    -small bottle Advil
    -tube of chapstick
    -1 pair latex gloves
    -3 AR mags
    -2 Glock mags
    -1 Surefire combat light
    -4 loose 123 batteries, 6 more in a spares carrier
    -surefire helmet mount light
    -signal beacon
    -wrist mount Garmin GPS
    -ESS glasses set
    -2 small zip ties
    -benchmade folder
    -Gerber multitool
    -Swiss Army knife
    -1 pair Oakley gloves
    -shamough
    -1 pair surefire hearing protection
    [​IMG]

2. RichJ

RichJ

Jan 26, 2009
    The GHB is nice. The bedspread is hideous though.

3. If you are intrerested in a critique, I'll give it a go. If not, please ignore my post and I mean no offense.

A good blow out/emergency med kit. Do you have hands on training on how to use the chest seal and airway tube? I would hesitate to include them without the knowledge of how to use them.
    Somethings to think about adding are: Aspirin (heart attacks), Super-glue (small cut sealer), sunblock, a triangle bandage (multi-use sling and bandage), and a Sam Splint. I'd also throw in a couple more pair of gloves and make them nitrile instead of latex.
    I'm guessing that the 10 batteries are to power the lights, beacon, and the GPS? It seems like a lot, but they are small so I guess it's no big deal. Think about non-electronic back-ups. I would add a compass and a paper map(s) of your area.
    I don't know how far you routinely travel from your home but if it is more than 10 miles or so I'd think about adding some kind of food bars and water. The food bars don't take up a lot of room and if it's going to take a half a day or more for you to get home they can really help keep your stamina and morale up. This is especially true if you are going to be traveling in an Escape and Evasion style as it seems you are planning. E&E takes longer and uses more energy than simply trekking along a sidewalk. Water is bulky and heavy, but a couple of bottles or a Camelback-type system can supply you with what you need initially and hopefully you can find other sources along the way.

Just my thoughts. It's clear that you want to keep it light so every thing I suggested was with that in mind.

4. Dexters

Dexters

May 3, 2004
    ga
    +1

Food, water, hat, moleskin, rain gear, toiletries

What do you normally wear? If a suit and tie you might have to add walking shoes and other clothing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  5. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas, like I said, I appreciate a good critique. I'll put up pics of my other bag(s) later on.
    Dexters, good points, but my normal work clothing is well suited to travel. Hat and walking shoes are covered. Now, I do have those very items in my BOB back at my house.

The bedspread is an issued one. I'm afraid there isn't much helping that unfortunate thing...is rather eye wrenching, isn't it?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  6. gotplastic

gotplastic

Feb 26, 2008
    Where are you trying to get home from, Beirut ? Seriously, how many miles from work or your likely starting point ? It's not very likely we'll go from a normal work day to a combat situation. I'd suggest just a handgun that you can conceal and focus more on water, food, emergency shelter, and basic med kit. If you dont think so, then try it. Strap all that gear on, sling the AR over your shoulder, and try walking 20 miles home in the middle of a weekday.

7. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

It depends on the hood he works in or has to travel through. I work at a government facility in the middle of one of the worst ghettos in the city.:whistling:

8. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    Believe me when I say that this bag, particularly the ammo is appropriate for the area in which I work. I really don't need the shelter or food. A handgun alone isn't the tool of choice, either.
    Like I said above, I'll post up pics of my normal GHBs when I do get home.

9. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Can you tell me what the weight of your GHB is, in its dry state (no water)?

I assume you'll throw in as much water as you can carry at the last minute.

EDIT: Looks almost like some posts have been deleted here. Your OP is actually incomplete, I can see more of the list in a follow-up post later...?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  10. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    This is what I keep in my GHB, maybe it will help you stock yours. I do change the contents depending on season.

Glucose tablets for my wifes sugar.
    Deet for the bugs
    Trauma kit
    My meds. Extra 30 day supply
    Good quality first aid kit
    T-Paper and wet wipes
    Sunblock SPF 30
    1 pair of extra underwear and socks
    Protein liquid drink and energy bars
    50 oz water bladder
    Pulsoc meter
    Pens, marker, pads
    Compass, GPS, and local Topo maps
    Duel-band UHF w-t UHF radio
    Multi-tool, Columbia River tanto knife, and wire cutters
    Onocular
    pry-bar
    water-purifier tabs/filter
    Bandana
    Signal mirror
    Whistle
    petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
    magnifying glass (small one for fire making)
    WD-40 lube pen and 1oz of Miltec oil
    50 ft of cordage with carbiners
    Solar blanket and 12'x12' plastic sheet
    UST Strikeforce, bic lighter, magnifier glass with pyro gel.
    Ranger survival pak (various small items)
    LED flashlights (2) with extra batteries
    Solar charger
    One hundred dollars in small bills
    Extra pre-paid cell phone with charger
    2 spare mags for my Glock pistol

In a separate bag in my vehicle I keep an extra set of clothes, hiking shoes and a case of bottled water. <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- sig -->

11. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    It's about 8 pounds dry. Commo and other equipment is in another location for this particular setup. Um, I don't think I left out much, if anything that is currently in that bag from my original post. If you're refering to my other bags, I 'll have to wait till I'm back stateside to post those up.

12. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Darned impressive GHB. What exactly is a trauma kit as opposed to a FA kit?

The other thing I notice is you have a reasonable amount of liquid items.
    - deet
    - sunblock
    - liquid protein
    - oil
    - pyro gel
    - water of course
    Do you store them separately? I'm paranoid of my liquids leaking so don't store them inside my GHB...I store them outside my bag, in double plastic bags, and must insert them at bail time (it's on the master list of things to do when the fan spins...I don't trust myself to be thinking rationally so I have a "master to do" list upon bailing...)

I like the idea of keeping water and clothes separate in the car, to be added as needed as you bail out.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  13. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA

The trauma kit deals more with major bleeding wounds, sucking chest injuries , 3rd degree burns and so on. I think FA kits are more general kits.

The liquids are no problem with leaking. It all depends on the containers you use and how they are packed along with the type bag is used.

As far as the expense of my GHB? Well you get what you pay for. You wouldn't believe what my field pack costs. You can only do what you can afford. Fortunitly I can buy the best and do it right. I feel when it comes to survival I want the best setup and equipment I can obtain.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  14. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I backpacked for a week with less than half that stuff. Just add food and water.

I don't get the fascination with all the knives. When I go out, I have a small multitool OR a swiss army knife OR some kind of small pocket knife but not all of them. I get the EMT scissors, my son is an EMT, but you got some heavy duty trauma stuff there which is probably unnecessary in most cases.

Ok, i just noticed you are overseas. You probably need those things where you are.

15. nmasi

nmasi

Aug 1, 2009
    -medical shears

-2 Israeli bandages
    gauze and kerlix is better, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

-1 abdominal bandage

-3 types of clotting agent
    pick one and stick with it. learn its characteristics and get familiar with how hot it gets, what it is like after it aborbs and clots, what to clean it up with
    -2 tourniquets
    2 is overkill, i carry one on my ambulance

-2 Ascherman chest seals
    stick with petroleum gauze and tape, again, multiple use items are greater than focused devices

-1 nasalpharengeal tube
    dont bother, this is a get home/away kit right? a nasal adjunct is pointless without the means to ventilate. if its bad enough to need to secure an airway, they probably cant maintain respirations. and if they can, they are too awake to put up with a tube in their nose.

-2 rolls medical tape
    transpore tape is good, but its stickability is crap and its not waterproof. use it where you need breathability, but otherwise, duct tape is your friend, use the easy-tear stuff

-small bottle Advil

-tube of chapstick

-1 pair latex gloves
    more than 1 pair, they get nasty quick and once u start working with them on, they fill with sweat and when your hands are wet, u cant put more on easily. put on 2 pairs at the same time

Asprin for the sake of heart attacks is pointless unless you are getting to a hospital with a cath lab, keep it solely for pain relief

16. ancient_serpent

ancient_serpent

Jun 6, 2008
    Going to post a pic of one of my smaller bags at home as soon as I can find my camera connection cable...

17. nmasi

nmasi

Aug 1, 2009
    I lose those dumb cables all the darn time