close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

One in the chamber?

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by jhelmsfishing, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Member

That's always a tough message to get to sink in, unless folks have experienced incidents where they have been attacked.

Situational awareness is critical to self defense. Ideally you avoid a conflict altogether by SA. If that's not possible, SA is the critical to having the time to prepare for the conflict. Whether the fraction of second in chambering a round will make a difference in your outcome is dependent on many variables that are unique to the person making that decision to carry in that manner.

Only you can make that decision of what is best for you - based on your environment, your equipment, your training & skills, your own risk assessment, etc. That's why this discussion will continue on & on. There is no 'one right answer' that applies to everyone.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #121 jdavionic, Jul 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  2. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA
    Expand Collapse

Excellent post and points.

Attacks don't usually come slowly but rather quickly with a lot of force and violence. Two things are your best friend before an attack: SA and staying away from questionable places and areas.

Great post.

3. RussP

RussP
    Expand Collapse
    1. The JBT's

Good posts...

4. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

Yes, indeed. Good posts.

5. CR500

CR500
    Expand Collapse

+1, When handling a firearm a person should ALWAYS ASSUME that it's loaded, then it shouldn't make a difference if a round is chambered or not. A weapon must be respected, empty or not. practice and experience go a long way. I always carry mine loaded, if unloaded it's about as good as a rock.

6. Glenn E. Meyer

Glenn E. Meyer
    Expand Collapse

Situational awareness, spider sense, close your eyes and use the force, Luke.

Sounds good but ... It is not a guarantee and there is a good of posturing about your preternatural abilities in threads like this. Attentional research clearly shows that you cannot maintain high levels of awareness at all times. Also, the threat can come from a distance where your Aegis radar forehead wasn't scanning - as in a crowded mall rampage. You aren't scanning everyone constantly. Be real. Of course, you should be aware but saying that rationalizes unchambered carry is just silly.

Also, let's go to the range with your loved one or kid. They are on your non-gun side. The bad thing happens and your kid grabs your arm. Throw him or your loved one off and you are way behind the curve when doing your unchambered dance-a-thon. I've been there in a potential car accident. Four lane rainy highway. Four cars in a row - in front of us, a car spins out and is pinwheeling across all four lanes. Holy Whatever. Driving stick shift and my wife grabs my right arm. Wow! I throw her off and managed to not get killed. That's because Pinwheel managed to straighten out. Whee!

As far as getting your hand disabled. Well, I've trained in one handed injured techniques. Once actually with my dominant hand and forearm in a caste. I broke it just for that course. It convinced me that unchambered carry is not for me. No need to handicap myself.

So go to the range and do the video with a 5 year old plastered to your leg.