One in the Chamber

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by longrange24, Oct 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im combat i would CC my 92fs at the 12 O'clock with one in the chamber. Just two months ago i started looking for a CC gun of my own and decided to go with the G26 Gen4. Im a little hesitant to carry with one in the chamber. Its not that im scared or anything but i just want to be safe. do you CC your glock with one in the chamber? Mine would be in a High Noon holster. I am really efficient with weapons in general and Im always safe.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. If you don't trust your weapon, or the way you handle it, you shouldn't be carrying. As long as you're doing it right, there is no reason to not carry with one in the chamber.

3. Does a bear ___ in the woods?:rofl:

Yup, in a mic holster at 12/1 or in don Hume iwb at 4/5.

4. Glockworks

Glockworks Ready/Aim/Fire

Up until a few months ago when I carried my G26 CC, I did not have a round in the chamber. I sometimes carried my Taurus .357 snub and of course the equivalent was chambered. I decided after some thought to also carry my G26 and G19 chambered when I do carry them. I do not ever go into obviously bad situations, but sometimes I think they can/could come to me and the time lost could be deadly to myself or other innocents. I also saw and read on the safety of carrying a round chambered in a Glock and I think it is a wise move in MY CASE. I have no children ever around me so it works easily for myself.

5. Its not that i dont trust the weapon, but more that I have grown up in an army where ignorant ppl dont want us to carry with one in the chamber while we are deployed (i understand thats not everyones experience). I also understand that their is a reason why the army is so strict with that. its a way of controling an entire group of ppl because they know that we have some idiots within our ranks. So my entire military carrier i have been told that one in the chamber is unsafe unless im outside " the wire". By no means was i ever a "fotit" but when ever we went to a camp to get chow or take a shower then they made us all unload our weapons. I think its more of a mental block than a trust issue with my weapon. I completely trust my g26 but i know i will have to push that stupid mental block that the army gave me out of my head. i just wanted to know if other ppl CC with one in the chamber.

6. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

I've had a round in the chamber, in a gun, since 1998. One less thing to worry about if I need to use a gun in a fight. As Clint Smith said, "Always cheat. Always win."

Right now, my G19, Springer 1911, and Mossberg 590 are chambered and ready to go.

7. I carry 2 in the chamber.

8. Several advantages for chamber carry plus a few disadvantages.

1) Simplicity. No need to add another step to get the weapon in action.

2) Immediate first shot in the shortest time period, especially from retention position (that is grabbing distance.)

3) No need for two hands to chamber. You may have one hand hurt or busy and not be able to use two hands. Grappling with an attacker also makes chambering with two hands rather tough. Opponent may slam you to the ground, or grab the weapon, or just punch you while you try to chamber a round.

4) When under pressure you might short stroke the action and jam the weapon.

The downside is that if you forget the gun is loaded you can pull the trigger and have a AD/ND (but then, just KYFFOTFT till the weapon is on target.) Yes there are AD/NDs every year. No doubt many have their weapons chamber loaded, but then many are ‘cleaning’ their weapons and well, who knows what state their weapons was really in.

Now chamber empty (C3) has a few advantages.

1) A gun snatch will give you a few seconds for the BG to react (you hope) to get the weapon back.

2) If you have kids, and the slide is hard to rack, it's less chancy of they get the gun somehow (but then I feel you should just pick the gun up, ok.)

3) If your gun is not drop safe, then chamber empty is the best way to carry.

4) No safe way to carry the weapon (lack of holster, poor holster, etc..)

5) If you tend to take your gun out and play with it instead of keeping it holstered then C3 might be a better way to carry. (not kidding, there are people that do mess with their weapons like that.)

Overall, chamber empty is an inferior technique for most people. There are some where it serves a purpose like having the weapon hidden around the house and you have time to chamber a round, but for most, chamber loaded is the better technique for a defensive handgun.

Now why is C3 inferior? Because of the extra steps one has to take that mostly require two hands under very stressful conditions. Kind of like the technique of fanning a SA revolver in that it pretty much requires two hands and done fast.

Is chamber empty safer to carry? Not if you keep the weapon in a proper holster that covers the trigger guard and has adequate retention (in case of a fall or such) and don/doff with the weapon in the holster. That way the trigger cannot be pulled in any way.

Deaf

9. OctoberRust

OctoberRust Anti-Federalist

MTAC here. Yes one in the chamber. When I first started carrying a few years back I was hesitant for the first couple weeks. Then I realized the disadvantage I was putting myself in and always carry one in the chamber.

10. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

If you don't feel comfortable carrying one in the chamber then you shouldn't be carrying at all.

11. Nice!:rofl:

12. why did you have to carry concealed? was that normal procedure? it's a pretty big gun for concealment. just curious:dunno:

13. It is definitely a personal matter and you should do what you are comfortable with. I carried for a while without one in the chamber until I saw the video of the guy at the Dayton, Oh gas station. I thought about that incident for a while and decided that if I was in that situation while carrying c3 that it might not end well. So I put one in the chamber and have carried that way since. My wife on the other hand is more comfortable carrying c3 and that's fine with me as well.
    Do what you feel is going to work for you. Sounds like the Army drilled in c3 while at "home" and c1 while out and about. Consider that you are always out and about now unless you have razor wire and guards posted outside your house to keep you safe while at home.

14. engineer151515

engineer151515 _______________

<<<< Had to pull once on an empty chamber and rack.

That won't happen again.

15. I have two rules for my carry pistol. One is to always carry one in the chamber. Two is to never "play with/fondle" the pistol.

The second rule for me, means no unnecessary handling of a loaded pistol unless it is going to function as intended.

No messing around, less chance of AD/ND. Worked for me for 7 years, carrying all my waking hours, everywhere.

What you do with yours is up to you.

16. 12 ga side-by-side?

17. mrsurfboard

mrsurfboard The Anti-Glock

#2 should apply to all guns, loaded or not.

18. Empty chamber is just a paperwait. If you remember "All guns are always loaded" and trat your gun so you have no problem. Glocks are as safe to carry with one up the spout as any.

Sent from my Ally

19. No its not normal to CC in combat but it was my choice to CC at the 12 O'clock. I would carry my 92 under my IBA in my belt. i just felt better that way. most soldiers carry the 92 in a drop holster by safariland, etc. it is a big gun for CC but its all we had (didnt have a choice in the matter). i do feel good CC with one in the chamber but i think i just need to get use to it. i respect weapons and always treat them as if loaded, so thats not a problem at all. just need to take all the bad habbits the military gave me and wash them out of my brian. its ironic that some ppl in the military are scared of guns and think that if you have one in the chamber that the weapon will for no reason fire on its own. I see that more and more liberals that just want a job join the military, then when they get up in rank they make rules just because they suck with weapons and fail to understand how the weapon works. Dont get me wrong Im all for support of our troops but having first hand expierance i can say the military has changed allot in the last 10 years.

20. Lior

Lior GUNS=FREEDOM

As a "one in the chamber" neophyte, I just take extra care in administrative handling of my EDC - keeping it holstered in the safe and generally minimizing the trigger's light of day if there is a round in the chamber. The nervousness passes, but the safe habits stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.