close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

One eye or both eyes?

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by pistolcompetitor, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Any GSSF shooters out there close one eye for the farthest targets, like the 20 and 25 yard ones in Five to Glock?

I know the "both eyes open" topic is covered, like, everywhere. But I wanted to get the GSSF perspective.

Me: Gen4 G17 stock shooter with stock sights. R eye dominant and I almost always shoot with both eyes open. Just came back from a bullseye challenge (tightest group possible at 10 yards), which made me realize I think I do better for this type of shooting by squinting my left eye shut. Different from GSSF but I'm rethinking my strategies for the next match.

2. OrGlocker

OrGlocker

Mar 8, 2009
    Salem, Oregon
    I use both, it's easier with two than it is with one, besides the name of the game when it comes to GSSF is speed and accuracy, it's not "Bullseye".

3. mike g35

mike g35

Jun 23, 2011
    Charleston W.V.
    The way my twenty give yard shots have went this year I believe I'm using the both eyes closed method!! LOL :rofl:

4. Jason L

Jason L

Feb 14, 2011
    CT USA
    Right handed and left eye dominant, I shoot with my right eye closed... It's weird but works for me. Can't shoot a rifle that way though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Apr 24, 2011
    PRONJ
    Ditto for me.

6. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    USA
    Right handed and right eye dominant. I shoot with both eyes open however since cataract surgery I have to cover the top 1/3 of my left lense with opace(spelling) scotch tape so that I do not have a double sight picture. Front sight is sharpe and clear and target a little fuzzy as it should be. Of course after shooting a string I can see the hits and target rings clearly even at the 25 yard range.

Of course Conyers will be my first match since having cataract surgery on my second eye so could be a whole new ball game. But dry firing in the back yard the front sight is sharpe and clear with NO glasses, red dot now is a total"No Go" but since I am an amateur thats no big deal.

This is one of those situations that is unique to each individual.

Don

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  7. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    Both open, but I can't see my sights clearly. So far nothing I've tried has helped much.

8. jakebrake

jakebrake cracker

Jan 11, 2011
    too close to philly
    right eye dominant, been shooting with my left eye closed for 39 years....i can't shoot with both eyes open.

feel free to ridicule me now.

9. shadow_dog

shadow_dog Hilljack

Mar 6, 2004
    SW Ohio
    Have you tried borrowing Bama's shooting glasses yet? It seems like the least he could do for you, since all you do for him.:whistling::supergrin:

10. TattooedGlock

TattooedGlock NRA LIFE MEMBER

Jun 21, 2006
    South Texas
    Both eyes open at point black distances. More of a one eye squint at longer ranges.

11. ede

ede Bama's Friend

Jun 25, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not allowed to touch Bama's stuff unless I'm loading mags for him, cleaning, washing, mowing, etc.

12. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

Dec 17, 1998
    USA
    I have heard that Bama's shooting glasses are really mirrors so that he can see the smiles on his face as he shoots.

Don

13. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

Jun 22, 2012
    Kenai, Alaska
    I too am right handed but left eye dominant. For long range I close my right eye, for closer targets I keep both open. The only long gun I can actually shoot right handed is my AR because of the red dot sight, but I'm so used to left handed shooting the other way feels unnatural. Even left handed I shoot my AR with both eyes open using the red dot.

14. Thanks, everyone. Guess I'll try squinting one eye for just the 20 and 25 yard shots. We'll see what happens, so to speak.

15. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    I tried the squinting, but my NRA instructor refused to let anyone pass who didn't use both eyes. I believe it was 15 yards?

16. That's a little extreme! Which class was it?

17. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Apr 16, 2012
    Funny thing, just the intro to handguns!

18. First Steps Pistol and Basis Pistol Shooting are both 15' or 5 yds and NRA likes to instruct to shoot with both eyes open. But if a student can demonstrate consistent accuracy with one eye, it should be accepted.

19. kyglockshooter 2.0

kyglockshooter 2.0

Jul 5, 2012
    When I shoot I try to keep both eyes open so that I'm able to be aware of what's going on around me, such as has someone walked down range on accident or something that is more important than my score. By allowing part focus on that I probably shoot a little bit slower, yet I do not care at all if it means I am a more aware shooter, which in turn hopefully means safer shooter

20. Alexd29

Alexd29 Go Bucks!

Jul 3, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Hmmm. Sounds like some of the so called "Nra certified pistol instructors" we have around here. its their way or no way. I shoot with both eyes open, but am left eye, right hand dominant. I cock my head to put my left eye in front of the sights. Ive been told multiple times i should shoot left handed.

try different things but do what works best for you. some people will put a clear piece of tape on one side of their shooting glasses to help them focus with the other eye, while keeping them both open.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine