close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

On the fence about a Coonan .357?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by jrs93accord, Jul 31, 2011.

1. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Guys,

If you are on the fence about buying a Coonan .357MAG, I am here to tell you that it is one of the finest shooting 1911 type pistols you can buy. I took mine to the range for the first time this afternoon. Man, was I pleased. For a .357MAG, it was very smooth. Recoil was maybe a tad more than a .45ACP 1911. The grip is large, but that was not an issue for my hands. The prices are a little steep, but it is well worth the money.

[​IMG]

Check one out. You will not be sorry.

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, I love the Coonan. Sounds like you had a good time, James.

3. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    It was a BLAST. :supergrin:

4. limbkiller

limbkiller

Mar 25, 2011
    ky
    I'm jealous!!!

5. scooterhoohoos

scooterhoohoos AKA bryanZ06

Jan 29, 2005
    Georgia
    You've got that right. I told one of my friends the exact same thing after I shot mine the first time. :rofl:

6. Sounds like Coonan has a new #1 fan! :cool:

I haven't owned or shot one since the late 80s but I do remember the flash and blast!

A friend of mine back then had a Grizzly in .45 Win Mag, and that was even more fun!

Unfortunately, my short fingers did NOT get along well with the elongated grip frames!

In fact, the Para frame I built up back then (when they only made frames) had no grip panels, only skate-board tape that wrapped around the front and covered both sides. :supergrin:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  7. djackson

djackson CLM

Dec 9, 2008
    West Virginia
    I have never had the opportunity to see or handle a Coonan but would certainly like the chance to

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  8. Sarge43

Sarge43

Aug 22, 2010
    Kansas
    Another satisfied shooter! I love my Coonan Classics. I was very surprised at how little recoil there was in them, as I was used to putting .357 mag rounds through a revolver. Very nice to shoot!
    If the grip frame is big for some, just throw some slim grips on there.
    Glad you like yours, and thanks for the pics!
    Sarge

9. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I first saw the Coonan on the cover of a magazine back in the mid-80's. It was a big stainless pistol that shot a .357MAG cartidge. That impressed the hell out of me. At the time, and for many years to follow, I could not afford one. This year, I decided it was time to find an early production model. I did not want a new one. The one I have, according to Dan Coonan, was made sometime in the late 80's to early 90's. He was not exactly sure since they no longer had records of the guns that were made prior to them going out of business several years ago. They do have a database for all of the new Coonans.

10. jrs93accord

jrs93accord

Jul 10, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    If you ever do get the chance to handle one, jump on it. I let a guy next to me at the range shoot mine today. I shot the first magazine through it and he shot the second one. He was astounded as to how well it shot. It brought a smile to his face. He too had never seen or heard of one until today.

11. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Ditto.

12. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    :thumbsup:

13. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    You certainly need one, Joe.

14. I bought mine used, while working behind the counter at the local shop. Guy comes in and wants to sell. The store owner wasn't interested so I bought it at a really good price (sorry don't remember the actual amount).

I only shot it a few times, but it was memorable. I sold it not long after and made a decent profit as I recall.

15. Ganesh

Ganesh Okie 4 Life

Sep 25, 2005
    Bradenton, FL.
    Always liked the look of the Coonan....Back in the 80s,(I was in highschool, young wipper snapper, I know, I know) I dreamed of owning one. Then they went out of business. Now that I see they are back, I think I'll have to save up my pennies fer one.

On their website, they have an advertisement that says......Looking for your first pistol?....This is not it!

That seems catchy, hehe. And Id certainly love to find someone in the Bradenton FL. area to try one out. But as my daily carry is a S&W 340 M&P in .357 I dont think the word recoil will even be in my vocabulary. And yes, I do shoot that little beast regularly. Not as much as my others. Each session gets at least one box each of .38, .38+p and .357. Let me tell ya, one session every other week or so is all you can stand outta that beast.

So a big brother Coonan in the same caliber sounds like the perfect set up for me, hehe.

Oh, and Im glad yer likin yer new "baby". Keep us up to date on her.

16. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

Feb 28, 2005
    DFW TX
    Congrats! I remember you telling us you had one on the way.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  17. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Jan 1, 2010
    A cat box in WA
    :wow:
    SOO BEAUTIFUL