close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

On a traffic stop ever had a firefighter drop tin

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Dalton Wayne, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Just wondering what you do if you see an IAFF sticker or the Firefighter drops tin, do you give professional pass like you do another LEO or do you write em up.

I have my IAFF sticker with the retired banner, and my badge and credentials in my car and have never been wrote....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Mar 23, 2001
    WV
    When I was an LEO, I never had occasion to stop a firefighter. If I had, his tin or sticker wouldn't have made any difference. If you don't want a ticket, don't break the law.

3. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    Professional, full- time hose draggers get a pass, especially if they're local. I'd throw retirees in that pile.

Volunteer, part- time firebugs and arsonists in training on their way out of the Gall's showroom with more lights, radio antennas, and assorted emergency equipment mounted to their 1989 Honda Civic than is mounted to any three of our marked police cruisers get wrote. Same as mall ninjas.

Kind of off topic, but around here it seems like a significant percentage of the guys who work for Lexington FD have bright red cars or trucks for their POVs. It's a large enough number that I have to wonder if it's a smoke eater thing that I just don't understand?

4. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

Nov 4, 2007
    Full time Fire: Absolutely.

Full time Fire Paramedic: Absolutely

Nurses in any capacity (male or female): Absolutely

Doctors of any kind (male or female): Absolutely

Volunteer Fire: Not so much.

ETA: As Ron said, depends on the infraction and overall attitude, but I'll do whatever possible if you'll work with me on a polite/apologetic attitude and not expect a break.

5. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

Jan 26, 2001
    this...

6. indigent

indigent Bamboozled

Jul 2, 2005
    Tx
    So what about those of us "Volunteer, Part-Time firebugs and arsonists in training" that are certified to the same level as the "Professional, Full-Time" guys and have better paying full time jobs........

SwatPup89 likes this.
  7. msu_grad_121

msu_grad_121 BOOSH

Sep 16, 2009
    NW Burbs
    Not that I'd know for certain, but I think Dukeboy means those guys you'd know as "those guys." As far as I'm concerned, screw those guys.

Someone on here said it best, in my opinion. Professional courtesy requires that you are 1) professional, and 2) courteous. Anything less, and you get stroked, at the very least.

8. Ducowti

Ducowti

Jan 11, 2009
    NY
    Depends on the attitude and infraction. I was behind a volly for nearly two miles while he obliviously yapped away on his cel (violation here). I pulled alongside and indicated he should hang it up, which he did immediately, with the appropriate level of sheepishness.

10 min later I am stationary and see him fly through a park entrance with too many kids running around - while again on the phone. That time didn't end so courteously for him.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. rockapede

rockapede

Sep 3, 2009
    Pretty much anybody who badges me right up front for any reason other than "I'm an off-duty/retired officer and I just wanted to let you know I am carrying a firearm" is going to be on the receiving end of a one-sided conversation about respecting my jurisdiction's laws the same way I'd respect theirs....at least. Firefighter's generally get a pass if I know who they are, but badging me to get out of a ticket epitomizes a lack of class and won't win any points from me.

10. Mattz

Mattz

Nov 16, 2005
    Sure. There are plenty of fish in the sea.

11. blueiron

blueiron

Aug 10, 2004
    Firefighters...

When I was working, we had a bunch of juvenile cretins, led by an IAFF local president, that had a hate-on for cops. They'd file BS complaints on cops, refuse to provide Px information at accidents [long before HIPAA], park Big Red where ever it would screw up traffic, openly refuse to help us in any way, openly state that they wouldn't treat a wounded cop with the same level of care that a violent suspect would get, and openly campaigned against us when we went to city hall to ask for more personnel to achieve per capita staffing parity because "it would take money away from [them]". Even the FFers who didn't agree with this mullet wearing moron wouldn't intervene. That did not sit too well with most of us.

If a FF happened to work at a nearby agency and the infraction was minor/non safety related, have a nice day might work. If you worked for a certain IAFF local, you got absolutely no mercy. That continued for years and still lingers with the old timers.

12. Dukeboy01

Dukeboy01 Pretty Ladies!

Apr 30, 2000
    Lexington, KY
    This is exactly what I meant.

13. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Mar 29, 2005
    Kansas
    Around here, everyone and their mother, wife, children have a FF license plate. It means nothing other than someone in thier family is or was a FF in some capacity.

All of our small towns have volunteer-only FD's. To get a tag, all you have to do is sign up. No training or abilities required. Of course, all the FD's offer training and will get people to the professionl level, but they have ot work for it and it takes time. Most of them just sign up for the tag and chest inflator.

I know the good ones arond here and also know the worhtless ones (paid and volunteer). I volunteer with the City (onl paid Dept. in the County). I don't have a special tag.

14. As others have said, it depends on the violation and demeanor of the violator.

I do not or will not go out of my way to write another officer, fireman, teacher, nurse or doctor simply to teach them a lesson. If they screw up bad enough and its a serious violation, they have to take their lumps.

I have absolutely no problem with somebody identifying themself or 'tinning' me. I don't find that disrespectful at all.

15. The Volunteer FD around here is full of pompous a-holes, drug dealers, and female hygiene products. Most of them do not get a pass from me. I just wish our chief had the balls to do something about all the driving complaints we get when they break the sound barrier in their red pickup with one flashing red light.

16. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    Treat 'em like any other person. No favorites.

17. Haven't had one show badge yet. Now some will make sure their uniforms are in plain sight or their emblazoned gear bag is in full view (never mind the IAFF sticker or the Professional FF plate) in a clear attempt to curry a pass. Like anyone else I give a professional courtesy to, it's all about the attitude. Be professional, get professional treatment. Act like a jackwagon, you'll get a financial reminder.

Luckily, the vast majority of our FF/Paras are full time and professional. But like in copland, there is always one of "those guys." We love our local FF department and we take good care of them as they do us. They are professional enough to know not to drop name or tin when they get stopped.

18. txleapd

txleapd Hook 'Em Up

Aug 27, 2004
    TX
    Another one for this.... When i worked the streets, hosedraggers got the same courtesy I gave other cops, paramedics, nurses, ER docs, public school teachers, active duty military, and moms with screaming kids. As long as they all had the right attitude.

19. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Never had to stop a firefighter ( full time) we did have a problem for a while with the volunteers driving like idiots but we sorted that out pretty quickly.