Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

OMG! Why didn't ya'll tell me .22LR was SO MUCH FUN!?!?!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Airborne Infantryman, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman 'Murica!

Nov 20, 2009

I went to the PX on base today, and saw a Ruger 10/22. Synthetic stock, blued finish, and Williams FireSights Fiber Optic sights. I paid $212 out the door, and bought a 525 round pack of the blue box Federal .22LR. I went to my buddies house, and shot ALL DAY! I put 400 rounds through the 10/22 straight out of the box, and NO failures at all. I'm about to clean it now. My only complaint is that the dovetailed front Fiber Optic sight came loose from its dovetail; nothing that a little bit of blue loctite cannot fix. Other than that, this is the best $212 I've spent- EVER.

One oddity- I cannot find this model on Ruger's website- the model # is 10/22RPBF

Anyway, I figured I'd share my new love for rimfire, and how much fun it is; now to clean this beast after 400 rounds.....:faint:

Update- I cleaned her last night- wasn't as dirty as I though she'd be after 400 rounds. Took me an hour, and that was with me stopping to watch a YouTube vid on disassembly, and fixing the loose front sight.

Today, I went to the local gun shop and picked up a Ruger BX-25 mag. I only bought one, and if this one is good to go, I'll get two more.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics-

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. Bruce M

Bruce M

Jan 3, 2010
    S FL
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your new 10/22.

I have said for a decade or two that a .22 is about the most fun a bachelor can have in an afternoon for a twenty dollar bill since deadly STDs hit our shores. I remain convinced that for most of us of modest means somewhere between about the second and the fourth gun added to the collection ought to be a .22.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

3. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    I couldn't afford to shoot 1-2 times per week without .22LR.

My Ruger SP101 in .22LR is a blast and at $.03 per round I can shoot alot, and since it is setup exactly like a normal SP101 it is still great practice.
  4. oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    Congrats on the 10/22. Everyone should have one.

Also, good choice on sticking with the Ruger 25 round mags. Most of the aftermarket ones are junk.
  5. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
  6. 40 0'Glock

40 0'Glock

Mar 22, 2009
    congrats! i love rimfires as well. you can spend all day at the range without feeling guilty.
  7. G30Mike

G30Mike Say When!

Nov 19, 2008
    St. Joseph MO
    Love my 10/22 also. Very fun guns with the hi cap mags. Plus I can let the nieces and nephew learn on it. Bought it for cheap ammo prices and to pass some time shooting and Its basically for my son when he gets a little bigger, I refer to it as his rifle. He's 16 months old, so it will be a little while before he can work it himself, but for right now he likes to sit on my lap while I shoot from the bench.
    Its always a good idea to have a .22 rifle or pistol around.
  8. I think their first gun ought to be a rimfire.

So much easier toaster the fundamentals without the noise and blast if a bigger gun.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
  9. RWBlue

Jan 24, 2004
    "OMG! Why didn't ya'll tell me .22LR was SO MUCH FUN!?!?!"

We tried, but everyone always wants to get something larger with more bang.

You will also find very accurate rifles a lot of fun. They don't have to be large bore. Very accurate 22LR can be a lot of fun.
  10. zhix

Jan 31, 2010
    Its not uncommon that you won't find specific variations of Ruger guns, they do a lot of special runs for distributors, I had a hard time finding anything on my 10/22 stainless with laserstock.

I actually just sold my 10/22. It was always on my list but I figured they're so cheap I can buy one whenever. I won mine on a $20 raffle, but by then I already had various other guns and never shot it.
    If I had paid full price for it or had room for more guns I probably would have kept it. I do have a savage 22 bolt action that I really like though.
  11. ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    Sorry! I thought you knew.:dunno:
  12. Glad you found out how much fun .22LR can be.
    10/22, 597 get shot everytime we hit the outdoor range. Cheap and fun!
  13. Metal Angel

Metal Angel

Oct 20, 2010
    Yup! 10/22 = Awesome. Was the first gun I ever had, and I'm never letting it go!
  14. racer88

racer88 NRA & SAF mbr

Oct 14, 2009
    I think the more you experience shooting the big stuff (and paying for it), the more you appreciate .22-LR. While I enjoy shooting my big stuff, I find firing away with my M&P 15-22 rifle and my recently acquired Ruger SR22 Pistol to be just as much fun and "guilt-free."
  15. I've been shooting .22lr since I was 10 or 12, it was a single shot Stevens, I believe the single shot is a great way to learn shooting accurately.
    I still have it but now I have a 10-22 and a 22-45, both are so much fun and accurate. I bought both of my boys a 10-22 as well.
    Another thing is, you can customize them to the point you won't recognize it.
  16. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Oct 8, 2001
    Middle of SC
    Congrats! We own two stainless models (nicely modified) and a Tactical Solutions X-Ring 10/22 variant.

.22's are the BEST firearms around. :) Got over a dozen (and counting)...

Enjoy! There will be more!
  17. bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    Rimfires are a blast, both in a rifle or handgun.
  18. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    This is why I have almost a dozen 22s. Revolvers, semi handguns, pump , bolt, lever, semi rifle, you need them all. Then with all the AK AR MP5 1911 clones its just a never ending thing.
  19. SLO1911Fan

Nov 23, 2009
    I love the 10/22. With the firesights on that all you have left to do is modify the bolt release and swap out the mag release with the tacsol lever. IF you're ever interested in a different stock Boyd's make a couple really nice ones for it. I recommend the Evolution or the Tacticool, especially if you want optics on it. I was always impressed with the gun, and I definitely regret selling mine.
  20. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas

Now you really want to have even more fun? Grab yourself a little .22 suppressor from SWR or AAC. It will make you as giggly as a little school girl every time you shoot it.