close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Olympics and Christianity

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by FCoulter, Jul 31, 2012.

1. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    The olympics Games date back to Greece was glorified in the Roman Colosseum. It teaches people to be competitive just the opposite of what Jesus actually taught.

Do you think Chistianity should support Olympic Games?

Also as a side note do you think less than upper classed children have the same advantages as upper classed children in being olympic hopefuls?

2. GreenDrake

GreenDrake Rip Lips

Apr 22, 2007
    North Idaho
    I think it has no place in the games. The olympics were abolished because of a Christian who thought they were too Pagan. Silliness is silliness. Yes, money can buy Olympians.

3. John Rambo

John Rambo Raven

Feb 15, 2010
    Tampa, Fl.
    Jesus is dead. He was killed for being a pain in the ass. The only place you find his stories are in a book. The Olympics are still going strong as a standing reminder of the greatness of the human race's physical abilities and what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it.

I guess if the two are in conflict you should figure out which one is more relevant to your life and support it. Or you could just keep reading your book and keep joining the rest of the human race in appreciating some of the best athletes on planet Earth, and stop worrying about it.

And I think determination trumps all in the Olympics. There are plenty of headhunters out there to scoop up people of any socioeconomic background for the games.

4. Seriously?????
    :rofl:

5. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    Yes, seriously!

I couldnt wait for you to jump in.

Please show me in THE BIBLE, where it teaches people to compete against one another for gain?

Given the Roman history of the games, I knew you would feel at home Bert. Lol

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  6. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    If your an atheist I would say the olympic games are geared toward you. If you are a True Christian you should avoid it because of the pagan origins, and idolatry that it embraces.

However, if you are a so-called christian and partake of other pagan customs, ie: christmas,easter, sunday worship then by all means supporting the olympic is the norm for you.

7. Feeling masochistic?

Ahh, the old unlogical, anti-biblical sola scriptura heresy being touted again.

Where does it say you can't?

Paul, talking to the Corinthians, certainly doesn't seem to castigate those holding this idea. In fact, he uses it as a point of common reference.

If you know anything about ancient Corinth, you know that they were famous for their competitive sports. The Isthmian Games were second only to the Olympics.

I didn't know there was any "Roman history" in this regard.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  8. Sunday worship, Christmas, and Easter are all Christian customs, despite your bald-faced assertions without any supporting facts.

However, sola scriptura is a illogical, heretical, unbiblical, man-made belief that makes null the Word of God.

9. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    YeS dear Bert they are all christian customs taken directly from paganism. I dont care how you wash it, it still isnt clean.

10. More assertions?
    You're amusing. :rofl:

11. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    In 146 BC, the Romans gained control of Greece and, therefore, of the Olympic games. In 85 BC, the Roman general Sulla plundered the sanctuary to finance his campaign against Mithridates. Sulla also moved the 175th Olympiad (80 BC) to Rome

12. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    So you deny history and deny those customs pre-christian were pagan?

Bert, you dont have a leg to stand on.

13. Nope. I have history and facts on my side.

14. Woofie

Woofie Disirregardless CLM

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    Are you a capitalist?

15. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    I guess you are a staunch Obama supporter.

16. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    Guess again!

17. Woofie

Apr 10, 2007
    Here
    If you believe that Jesus taught against competition, you need to reevaluate your political stance. Obama is against competition, too.

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    The Olympics teach us to push ourselves, to excel and to stretch the mortal body to it's limits. To sacrifice. To set high goals. To work toward higher ideals. To at times, live only on faith, be that in Deity or in ourselves when others say we can't succeed. To set higher standards for others to follow and to eventually surpass. To take the lessons that are learned and as coaches and teachers, pass them to the next generation.

What is un-christian about that?

19. FCoulter

FCoulter

Dec 19, 2011
    You do realize the Olympics and the different events like carrying the torch and its relationship with greek gods are pagan.

So if you are a christian do you partake of pagan festivals?

Idol worship?

The Bible is clear our bodies are the temple for God, does the olympics teach us how to treat and use our bodies or does the Bible, Gods word, instruction manual teach us this?

20. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    It takes good genetics and a lot of training to get to the level of an Olympic athlete. I guess it would depend on where you grew up. In the old soviet union children with certain traits were identified and then supported by the state in their training. It takes a lot of time and money one way or the other.