close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Olympic Arms AR's, Any Good ?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by Glocker08, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Glocker08

Glocker08

Sep 22, 2008
    I'm new to AR's and not really familiar with all the different brands/builds. Does Olympic Arms make good AR's or are they garbage ?

2. Gallium

Gallium CLM

Mar 26, 2003
    On a scale of 1-10, the LMT/colt mil spec stuff are up there in the high nines.
    Bushmaster is about a 6-7
    Oly is down in the 2-3 area.

Or so I heard. :)

'Drew

3. reaper8154

reaper8154

Jan 26, 2008
    LOL, here we go again. Mine has been fine for over 1K rounds. I have heard horror stories about some of the older ones, but have never seen any issues first hand. Most of the poo talkers have read things on the internet and puke it up without any first hand experience. I will not say they will be as reliable as a Colt, LMT etc. but mine is very accurate and has been 100% (its been a safe queen for a few years now)

They also have a lifetime warranty. You might be better off with a Stag or Bushmaster, but don't let the trolls here scare you away if you really want an Oly. I would personally tell you to save a little money and get a 6920. The prices on those have been pretty good lately.

4. MedicOni

MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    Never having shot one I don't know if my opinion is any good. But either way... All of my friends that have them say they seem to work ok, but I'd still probably save a little more for a stag.

Although if I could get my hands on a 10mm Oly AR, I'd buy one in a heartbeat

5. RMTactical

RMTactical www.AR15pro.net CLM

Oct 7, 2000
    Behind an AR-15
    They are on the lower side, but don't worry. If someone gave you one for Christmas, you can upgrade it pretty easily.

6. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    I had a very bad experience with one I bought from them a long time ago. The rifle was garbage and the customer service was criminal.
    Pat

7. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

Feb 15, 2008
    South-central 907
    The one that I had seemed OK. I bought it in early '95(preban) back when I was 19. Me and my two good friends(all salmon captains) would shoot about 3k rounds a week through it during salmon season. I was able to sell it after a couple of years for a "little" more than what I had paid for thanks to the AWB that was still going strong at the time.

I am very likely the exception rather than the rule in my experience with them. From what I read in the internet at least.

8. karateman

karateman NRA Member

Feb 22, 2007
    Central NJ
    I have a K16 and it has given me no problems so far, I have only had it for about 6 months and only have taken it out a few times. I have about 1200 rounds through it and it works each time.

9. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    No problems whatsoever with mine. I have the Plinkster cheapy also.

10. thisaway

thisaway Moderator

Jan 11, 2000
    Soddy Daisy, Tenn.
    I had two Oly CARs and both were fine for a civvie punching holes in paper targets or plinking. Inexpensive, and worked OK when fed good ammo. Not sure if I would go into combat with one, but it's unlikely I'll ever go into combat.

That said, I have since bought higher-tier models. I sold the Olys to friends who couldn't afford higher-quality ARs.

11. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

I've had my Olympic lower with the SP-1 upper forever. The rifle failed the first time out not because of the Oly lower but because the SP-1 upper gas tube was defective. After I replaced the gas tube, it ran like clockwork for years.

It worked in last year's particularly brutal summer heat when my Bushmaster and my Ruger Mini-30 both failed at an outdoor range but the Oly kept running with any ammo I fed it, including the bargain basement Wolf stuff. The heat was so bad that even my Glock 21 and my buddy's Kimber 1911 started jamming.

I recently switched it out for a Stag 2HT upper and I am building my OlyM4gery. Should be done by this week and I will have a shooting report next month.

12. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska

What kind of Jamming? Have your buddy put some oil on that 1911 it probably cooked off in the heat. Might try grease if its that hot down there. I am not surprised your Oly arrived defective mine did as well but it was a lot more than just the Gas Tube. They don't have a very good system for quality control and a lot of defective rifles leave the factory. As for your 21. I am not surprized. They have had a lot of issues of late. So much that LAPD took them off the approved firearms list.
    Pat

13. I had an old partner that had one. It was a decent shooter. We put several thousand rounds through it without a problem.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

No... the G21 shot for 10 years just fine... I carried it from 1999 til this year when I traded it... but I did it with full disclosure... right, buddy?:supergrin:

The Kimber was going through massive FTF and stovepiping. My buddy is Ex-Army Ranger, he knows weapons maintenance... I hope.

15. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    Seen both craptacular and decent.

Oly had a very bad rep years ago. Their current builds can be accurate, but i would never trust an Oly with my life, it would be a pure sporting gun or training piece.

16. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    Kimbers having problems is nothing new on their more recent guns. But just because your friend is an ex army ranger does not mean he knows how to maintain and lube a 1911. Last time I checked the Rangers were not issued 1911's. I carried a Glock 21 for about half of my career not by choice. The thing would malfunction with a weapon light. It was way to big in the grip area. My opinion on it pretty much agrees with Larry Vickers its a Dog of a gun.
    Pat

17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    I have an older Oly match rifle.

Its accurate enough. But won't run reliably enough to trust. I don't know if its bad mags, or what but some days it runs fine, some days not at all.

18. Alaskapopo

Alaskapopo NRA ENDOWMENT

Feb 6, 2000
    Alaska
    When it does not run what does it do. Short stroke? fail to eject, fail to feed. Just trying to help.
    Pat