close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Older taurus M-82 C.A.I. revolver quality

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by James Markov, Jun 28, 2012.

1. James Markov

James Markov
    Expand Collapse

:dunno::dunno:Curious, these.38's with a heavier barrel seem to have been carried a lot but shot little. Are they durable enough to shoot +P ammo?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison
    Expand Collapse
    Brew Crew

My mom has a taurus 85 38 spl. Its not rated for plus p ammo but ive shot a fair amount of it out of said gun and its still kickin!

Just sharing with you what i know first hand and before the taurus haters chime in and tell you that you should have a J frame instead.

3. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

I wouldn't go shooting a bunch of +P stuff through it, but once and a while shouldn't be bad.

4. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Depends upon how old, I had one Taurus wouldn't do any warranty work on. They offered me something silly like $50 off list price of any new Taurus revolver if I sent it in to them.

I told them to pound sand I could get one of their guns cheaper then that at a local dealer.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

5. wjv

wjv
    Expand Collapse

I have an older, ~15 year old gun and as BAC said, some +P wont hurt it. Mine is all stainless so it's a pretty heavy built gun. I've shot +P through mine and it's still tight.

Mine is the 85CH which is the M85 with a flush, bobbed hammer.

[​IMG]

#5 wjv, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  6. Berto

Berto
    Expand Collapse
    woo woo

THe 82 is a K frame sized gun, +P shouldn't be much an issue with the watered down stuff you'll most often encounter.
    I handled one of them not long ago, it looked like crap but seemed mechanically okay.

7. CajunBass

CajunBass
    Expand Collapse

I had one of those TAurus 82/83's (a fixed sight, K-frame lookalike.) I shot the snot out of that that. Literally thousands of rounds of wadcutters. I used wadcutters, because they were cheap, not because I was worried about the gun. I have no doubt that gun would have handled anything from a factory, marked "38 Special" I stuffed into it, for as long as I wanted to stuff them in.

8. CBennett

CBennett
    Expand Collapse

I dont know about the 82, but I really like my CH85 good gun.

9. James Markov

James Markov
    Expand Collapse

Would you say its a fair statement to say that with a 2 inch .38 special revolver a 110 grain hollow point is good, and with a longer 4 inch tube something like a 125 grain pill is proper?

10. Baba Louie

Baba Louie
    Expand Collapse

I've shot a whole lot of +P in my 82 over the years. Never actually gave it much thought. I simply stuff them in the cylinder and shoot it.

.38 spl +Ps are kinda hyped up nowadays. In '72 SAAMI changed their specs, so what was then (pre'72) a typical .38 spl is now a +P... more or less.
    Dunno. I typically shoot 158s in either/or. OR... whatever I have on hand. Paper and soda cans do not care either way, jack rabbits flop over and twitch, and that's as far as I've ever taken that concept.

11. ftlupton

ftlupton
    Expand Collapse

I have a 82 and love it, it is as accurate at 15yds as any of my Rugers or Smiths. I've stripped it down and it sure looks well made to me, no issues at all.

12. James Markov

James Markov
    Expand Collapse

How does the 158 grain +p hollowpoint(FBI load) hit? Is it point of aim or high or low?