close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Old Colt report: Officer's Model (target)

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Berto, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I decided to shoot at the 25yrd outdoor bullseye range today, so I brought my 1912 dated Colt Officers .38 along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ammo was Rem 125gr +p SJHP. These chrono between 1050 and 1100fps from 4" .357mag chambered guns, I can only guess in this gun, as I've seen Colts run slower at times...but it should be good for similar velocities, or better.
    As this is well below the .38/44 pressures this gun was deemed sufficiently strong enough for, I felt safe using the ammo...though I rarely run anything but std pressure wadcutters.

[​IMG]

All shooting was offhand, single action. The gun has a decent DA trigger, too, with the characteristic 'stacking' before the break....but this is really a bullseye gun, so I shoot it SA. I can only describe the SA pull as being just a little heavier than the metaphorical "wish off" weight, maybe 3lbs or so, I should get a gauge for that, dammit.

Shots went low and right a little, it's sighted for 148gr WC's.

50 went into 5.25"....not bad, for me.

[​IMG]

The tyler insert makes the gun handle nicely for me, recoil actually had a hint of attitude for .38sp in a fairly heavy revolver, but easily managed , of course.

The gun has the feel of a nicely broken in weapon; The action locks up 'bank vault' tight, as you'd expect from the .41 frame Colts, but the opening/closing of the cylinder is smooth and loose feeling, but solid at the same time.
    The wear from use shows, as most of the finish is gone and the bore is just showing a hint of frost- not enough to present any qualms about shooting, though...and it seems to shoot fine.:supergrin:

2. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Very nice Berto :cool:

I'm picking up an old Officer's Model Match shortly.

3. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Yep......that's a nice old Colt.

There is another thread going where a similar Smith revolver is being asked about. You've probably seen it. Out of curiosity, what would you say your Colt is worth?

thx

ooc

4. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I paid $369 for it, it's worth about $500 in this condition more than likely.

5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    not bad at all, Berto. I need to find me an old OMM to round out my Colt Target series. I've encountered the later model OMMs, but not the older ones.

6. Glock40man

Glock40man

Feb 1, 2011
    The Midwest
    Nice old colt and, good shooting Berto.:cool:

7. You are too funny :)

8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    It's no classic Smith, but it appears to shoot ok.:supergrin:

9. got2hav1

got2hav1

Apr 9, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Nice shooting and beautiful old Colt. I have a 1959 OMM and have been very impressed with it. One of my favorites.:cool:

10. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    The coolest thing for me is just shooting it and knowing this gun dates back before my grandparents were born, the 4th year of production for the Ford model T and William Taft as President.
    If the thing could only talk...

11. bac1023

bac1023

Sep 26, 2004
    PA
    Yeah, that sort of thing is always cool Berto.

12. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    It was very 4 'O clock that day.:supergrin:

13. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    That is a very nice old Colt. I've seen a few old Rugers and Colts I'd like to have. But I'm try to stay focused on S&W.

Wadcutters are hard to find around here for some reason. So I bought a Lyman mold for 150 grain WC's last week. Yesterday I cast about 500 bullets. I still have to size and lube them. I've always cast my own muzzleloading bullets, this is my first for modern guns. I can't wait to give them a try.

Anyways, cool gun and great shooting. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  14. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I sooo need to get set up for handloading, but I literally don't have any space. Once I move to a larger home I can put the guitars and bicycles someplace other than my bedroom.:upeyes:
    The local outdoor range is bullseye oriented and has a good supply of the Black Hills wadcutter load, which is an excellent shooter in .38sp, they also stock the 200gr SWC in .45acp-equally good. It's expensive though.
    The Colt may be old, but it is at least as capable as my 14-3, from what I'm seeing, and I'd guess the faster twist probably helps with low velocity wadcutters.

15. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    I'm not sure the casting is a real money saver when you include the time invested into it. But it does give me a lot more options when it comes to reloading. I'm looking forward to trying the Keith bullets in .44 and ..45 Colt, maybe even .357.

Reloading does save you a lot of money, especially if you use cast bullets most of the time. Where it really pays off is rifle and larger less common pistol calibers like .44 spl, .45 Colt, 500 mag etc. 9mm is hardly worth the effort being so cheap to begin with. I have so much brass that I do reload for it, but I still buy some now and then. My .375 H&H is a good example. The last factory box of twenty I bought cost a bit over $60. Not including the cost of the brass, I can reload 100 of the same rounds (same or better bullet @ the same velocity) for less than $100. Plus I can create loads that can't be bought in stores.

Good luck in getting a bigger place, you'd be good at reloading. In the mean time hang on to your brass, it's one of the most expensive components.

16. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    I'm saving the brass, even 9mm.
    I have about 200rnds of 7.62x38R (Nagant revolver) and .44sp too.:supergrin:

17. deguelo

deguelo

Nov 3, 2006
    nice wheelie, berto. don't make them like that anymore.

i just picked up an omm in .22..... what caliber did you score, bac? regards to all-- deguelo

18. Very nice old Colt Berto and pretty good shootin' also ! Better than I could do, for sure.

19. L Pete

L Pete

Mar 4, 2011
    I wished my Colt "Army" would shoot that good.......Heck, I just wished it would shoot six out of six. It's a big, heavy POS.

20. Berto

Berto woo woo

Sep 15, 2003
    WA
    If it's 100yrs old, cut it some slack.:supergrin: