close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Okey, a roadtrip to New Orleans from Houston

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by tongix, Apr 21, 2012.

1. tongix

tongix

WIfe and two kids this coming summer with a seven day vacation. Whats to see in this famous city? Great seafood places to eat at reasonable prices?
    Museums? Parks ? Beautiful sceneries man made or natural points of interest ?

2. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I went about 10 yrs ago. I'm sure it has really changed since Katrina. If I ever went back I would go to that WWII museum. Ride on that Mississippi Queen was kewl and of course there is always the French Quarter. I heard they have a top notch zoo.

3. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

National WWII museum - plan at least a whole afternoon.

Mother's is right across the street.

Audubon Zoo, Aquarium (Imax), Insectarium with the kids. All part of the Audubon Institute. Audubon zoo is world class. It also has a splashpad for the kids.

If you want to have a world class dining experience (but not stuffy) with the wife, make reservations at Commanders Palace. It was the #1 restaurant in the country for a number of years running. If you don't want to drop that kind of change, check out Zagat. It doesn't lie.

Brunch at Brennans if you can swing it. Definitely worth the $. See my "where did I eat breakfast" thread.

Deannie's is pretty good Louisiana seafood and moderately priced.

I'm betting lots of folks will chime in with their fave hole in the wall killer eat joint.

Its not a GREAT place for kids. You and the wife can have a great time trolling from one club to another listening to music and having drinks.

See if Jeremy Davenport is playing in the Davenport Lounge at the Ritz. Very nice.

I'll think of some more.

4. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Couchon Butcher on Tchop

See who's playing at the House of Blues

See who's playing at Tipitina's on Napoleon

Mid City lanes Rock n Bowl sounds lame but its a quintessential NOLA experience. Great live music

Preservation Hall on Peters

5. 50 Cent

50 Cent

Make sure you are carrying a couple of guns when out and about.

6. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Knife would be good too

7. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

How old are the kids? That makes a big difference on where you want to go and stay.

8. tongix

tongix

A 14yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. Yeah, i really wanted to see the WW 2 museum which i heard a long time ago. The last time i was in one was 10 yrs ago at Fredericksburg , Texas with Adm Nimitz Hotel. Since you mentioned Audubon Zoo, that be a great place too.

I heard the night life is not for kids when strolling through Bourbon st or what not. What about parking , is it like downtown Houston that you have to fight and pay whcih can be expensive ?

Why New Orleans? This will be our first to venture towards the east side of Texas and its closer. And cost of gas is not that cheap to say the least. As to bringing a concealed weapon, i have to check with handgunlaws.us .

9. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

Be sure of what class resteraunt (A,B) as to if you can carry inside

10. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Felix's Oyster Bar has been the best for many, many years.

11. TactiCool

TactiCool

Parking usually isn't too bad, except during Mardi Gras, but expect quite a bit of walking. Also, you don't need any weapons, but make sure to get off the streets by 7 pm if you intend to stay unarmed.

12. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

I used to live in Houston and loved to take the "back way" to visit New Orleans....... that would include going through New Iberia, Morgan City and Houma ....... Lots of fun places to eat on the way.......

Enjoy your trip ...........:wavey:

13. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Yeah, you don't want to take them on Bourbon Street, even in the daytime. The 5 year old will get way too many questions and the 14 year old will think of things he hasn't thought of already.:supergrin:

14 year old should have plenty to learn at the Museum. It really is incredible. There should be some vets there who are more than willing to chat, and that time will soon be gone. My grandfather was in Pearl Harbor and we have a brick there. Perhaps a good father-son day and send the ladies to a hotel spa.

The zoo, aquarium, Imax and insectarium would be a great day or two with kids that age. Again, bring their swimsuits for the new splashpad. Especially in NOLA summer swelter. http://www.auduboninstitute.org/

Beignets and coffee at Cafe du Monde.

Most people go to NOLA to eat and party but the city is loaded with history, obviously. You might research some and build some activity around that.

As another said, you'll be fine during the day. As for carry, if there are kids allowed in, you can carry there (with regard to likker). No carry at the aquarium or insectarium as they are federal property! No churches.

There is a children's museum downtown that's nice for the 5 year old. Maybe while you're at the WWII museum with the kids.

Just brainstorming now that you mentioned your kids ages.

Oh, if anyone says, "Bet I can tell you where you got dem shoes" Keep walking.

14. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

Oh, do yourself a favor and really get familiar with a map of the quarter relative to your hotel.

You asked about parking. Most quarter hotels have parking garages and will take you if there is no special event there. Yeah, its pricey. There are some reasonable pay lots all around too. I would plan to pay. That area is wrought with parking ticket traps and the residents that live in the quarter and businesses pretty much lock up the street parking.

15. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You'll be coming through Acadiana and Baton Rouge......

Consider a swamp tour in the lafayette area. Reasonably priced and they feed the gators and so forth.
    Hit the Tabasco factory near Lafayette.
    EAT in lafayette. Pick up some hog's head cheese, boudin and cracklins for the ride into NOLA.
    Stop in Baton Rouge and pay homage to the greatest college football (and baseball) program in the land.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  16. berto62

berto62

I didn't know they had a monument for the Fla. Gators there:whistling:

17. steve581581

steve581581

Check out baton rouge while you're there, its beautiful there. And dont leave the french quarter while in N.O., its not too pretty outside of the quarter.

18. jtull7

jtull7 Pistolero CLM

Take the streetcar (Streetcar Named Desire) through the Garden District to the end of the line and eat at the Camellia Grill, if it is still there (I just Googled it, it is still there). Then you can ride back. It should be beautiful this time of year.

19. DowntimeLA

DowntimeLA in da swamp

I was just down in the quarter for the festival last weekend, great time. The crowd went downhill after dark and theres still been lots of shootings so keep that in mind.

20. ratf51

ratf51

I second this. Also, the Cafe du Monde-- get you some beignets and cafe au lait. Felix's is at one corner of the French Quarter, the Cafe du Monde is at the opposite corner (sorta) and it is right beside the Mississippi River. Preservation Hall and the Preservation Hall Jazz Band. Lots of unassuming, hole-in-the-wall kinda places that will have good food (of course we are talking Cajun/Creole here.) Last time I was in N.O. was 2004, so I don't know what has changed due to Katrina.