close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

okay whats the best small game eating?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by noway, Dec 6, 2004.

1. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Last sunday I invited a few friends up for a small game cook off. I did squirrel in chicken broth and cream of mushroom coon in crock pot for about 8hrs. We also fried and roasted 2 domestic rabbits. Everybody walk away with a tummy full of food but now the debate over which sml game animals makes the tastiest food is out on the fence. Everybody that never tried theses animals love them all equally. They gave congrats to the chief over the crock pot full of squirrel, pinto, and black eyed peas.

I myself love rabbit and squirrel 10 to 1 over deer. I just wish they weighed as much as a typical deer.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. FullClip

FullClip
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    CLM

Holy Moley!!! Don't think I'd want a 200 pound squirrel or bunny rabbit chasing my butt around the trees!!!;f ;f That would put a whole new meaning to "dangerous game".;z

My favorite is between rabbit stew (snow-shoe hare) or a couple partridge breasts slow cooked with a batch of beans.

3. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer
    Expand Collapse

Ruffed Grouse breast.

4. shrpshtr

shrpshtr
    Expand Collapse

it's hard to find any small game that will compete in tastiness over Mr. Bobwhite. it doesn't matter how you cook it. one of my personal favorites though, season with creole seasoning, wrap with bacon, grill for about 20 min on low heat...hmmm!

doves would have to be a pretty close second. breast them, put a slice of jalapeno along the breast plate, wrap in bacon, smoke them for about an hour...

man i am getting hungry!

5. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

{Holy Moley!!! Don't think I'd want a 200 pound squirrel or bunny rabbit chasing my butt around the trees!!}

Will since you put it that way, I agreed with you. The last squirrel I killed fell from the tree on top of me. It was one of those straight up 20ft shot. I was able to defelect the squirrel at the last minute, this would have be much harder if it weigh 200lb ;)

Did somebody say quail? Yeap quail is one of the best fowl out their. Small, but good but I have to say pheasant beats quail 8 out of 10 times. Wild quail is also much harder to shot in most areas of the U.S, so I'm stuck with the frozen japanese quail. I ate some of these on friday over a apple wood fire and rub the butterfly'd quail with a little bit of salt,blk pepper and cajun season. Can you say hmm hmmm good.

6. HunterCO

HunterCO
    Expand Collapse

I would have to say as far as small game go's qail is by far the best. Big game is a toss up between antelope and elk.

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan
    Expand Collapse
    In The Saddle

Pheasant & Quail, in that order.
    WITH:
    Roastin ears, biscuits and gravy, Garden tomatoes, mashed potatoes, and my wife's secret recipie for 'cowboy beans'.

Man, this thread is making me real hungry.

CanyonMan

8. bustedknee

bustedknee
    Expand Collapse
    Curmudgeon

Hooters!

Really.

The grouse in Southeast Alaska are called Hooters because they hoot in the spring. Each male picks a a high spot then hoots and hoots.
    They are great fun to hunt.

Split the double-layered breast into 4 pieces. Pound them with a meat hammer, dip in egg/milk, roll in flour/corn meal, then fry (chicken fried steak style).
    Pounding them with the hammer is not to tenderize them, just to provide places for the batter to stick.

I would climb a mountain for hooter steaks.

9. Dogbite

Dogbite
    Expand Collapse
    DNT TREAD ON ME

Quail is great,and Dove is amazing.Take the little piece of meat(dove),wrap in bacon,and put on the grill,brush on dales steak sauce---i could eat a crazy amount of those!!

10. RMTactical

RMTactical
    Expand Collapse
    www.AR15pro.net
    CLM

11. TJC

TJC
    Expand Collapse
    "No Compromise"
    Millennium Member

I'll put another vote up for Chukar and/or Pheasant.

12. f1b32oPTic

f1b32oPTic
    Expand Collapse
    R4d104c71v3

there are some pretty small deer around here does that count?

13. Michigun

Michigun
    Expand Collapse
    Miss Michigan?

Ditto! ^c

14. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb
    Expand Collapse

That in order of goodness, Grouse, Pheasent, Quail, Dove. Squirel you can keep and Rabbit is ok but i used to raise them domestically and got tired of the little buggers..

Rottiserre grouse with sage and other wonderful seasonings is very good.. Pheasant i've always baked..

Goose i've yet to figure out how to cook the darn bird without drying the absolute crap outta it.. i've tried bags, in sauce, wrapped in bacon etc.. the secret alludes me.. Keep in mind i don't pluck the goose..

Oh almost forgot, although not small Game i think Wild Turkey is by FAR better then anything raised on a farm..

ok, now I'm hungry..

Jeff.

15. ucsdryder

ucsdryder
    Expand Collapse

Another vote for WILD chukkar. It doesn't get any better!

GM

16. rfb45colt

rfb45colt
    Expand Collapse
    safe-cracker

Me too.

I've had plenty of pheasant and quail and dove, and they're good... but grouse beats them all.

17. MarkCO

MarkCO
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member CLM

Grouse might be my favorite "white" meat and elk is definatley my favorite red meat. Blues taste a tad better than the Sage variety. Have not tried Chukar yet.

After grouse, I'll have to go with Turkey, (unless that is not considered small game), Pheasant and then Sandhill crane. Tastes like dove, but they weigh 12-15 pounds.

18. BillK@tcmhmrs.o

BillK@tcmhmrs.o
    Expand Collapse

I like your style Mr Noway, and agree with you about the delights of natural bounty skillfully hunted and cleanly killed. I like bird hunting and eating and am partial to a good squirrel meal. When I get my squirrel hunting rig out my two kitties get excited- they know I'll be bringing home some squirrel meat to share. My wife abhors the idea of eating them so I usually cook them out on the patio and make a picnic for me and the cats.... that is if I can drag them away from playing with the squirrel tails!

19. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

yeap squirrel is mighty good but rabbit is always better.

20. noway

noway
    Expand Collapse

Let's see those tails