close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Okay guys...here's one that stumps me.

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by 21 Glock salute, May 15, 2013.

1. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    I have a glock 21 and a glock 34. The 34 is newer than the 21, but I shoot it quite a bit more than I do the .45 (or I did until ammo got scarce). Shooting them side by side, I noticed that the trigger on my 34 seems to have a little more resistance on the "take up" than the 21, which seems smooth as butter. Is there any way to smooth out the "take up" part of the trigger? It already has the (-) connector and the weight is the same as the 21. I've also done the .25 cent polish job, but I'm wondering if I did it thoroughly enough? All the parts shine, but I'm thinking it's gotta be the trigger bar right? It's more of a personal preference, as I still shoot quite well with the 9mm and it doesn't matter a whole lot, but I'm interested in the mechanics of the thing.

2. OldSchool64

OldSchool64 Nice Guy, but - someones pain in the...

Sep 5, 2010
    Resistance or a gritty feel in the take-up can be caused at the point where the trigger bar contacts the fire pin safety, some glocks are just worse than others.
    I'd remove the firing pin safety, clean and reassemble. Just to rule out any problems there.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    I agree. I'd also take the mag out, turn the pistol upside down, and look into the mag well at the firing pin plunger as you partially squeeze the trigger a few times. Make sure the tab on the trigger bar is more-or-less centered on the plunger; if it is way off to one side, it will sometimes bind on the plunger and move in a jerky manner as the trigger bar moves during initial take-up.

If you haven't cleaned-out the firing pin/striker tunnel in the slide lately, you might want to consider it. A buildup of crud in there can have a negative effect on the trigger feel. Check your spring cups for cracks or deformation while you're in there, too.

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  4. GlocksterJeff

GlocksterJeff Glock Armorer

Jun 29, 2003
    'Sunny' Oregon
    You said your 34 is newer. Look on the side of the vertical tab of the trigger bar where it contacts the firing pin safety. Newer, post 2011 or so, 9mm trigger bars have a round bump on the side of that tab. Supposedly this makes the tab stiffer, but I've found it also increases trigger pull just a bit.

5. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    Thanks for all the knowledge! I'll be sure to check the firing pin safety.

6. 1911austin

1911austin Senior Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I would suggest installing a lightning strike safety plunger

7. cciman

cciman

Jan 19, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Unusual for any 2 glock triggers to feel exactly alike. I have 8 Glocks, side by side, none of the triggers feel-- each is subtlety different, even with the same mechanicals.

I would just focus on trigger control and forget it.

8. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    The striker safety cam SHOULD MAKE CONTACT with the safety's head slightly off to one side. It's deliberately designed like this in order to continue to spin the head of the striker safety as it operates and, thus, avoid wearing a permanent groove in the safety's head.

The OP's problem might be caused by the difference in a newer trigger bar's kick plate angle. The most recent bars have a higher angle and cause more drag against the striker lug. (Hence the new, '.' dot connectors)

9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Feb 13, 2001
    North-Central USA
    I understand. But I have also seen one (I suspect it had been "adjusted" by some goober) that was WAY off center, and binding on the edge; but it only seemed to make a big difference on some shots. Made for a wildly variable trigger pull weight.

I doubt it came from the factory that way, but I can't say for certain, of course.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  10. PghJim

PghJim

Apr 21, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Take the mag out and turn the gun upside down and look at the striker safety as you pull the trigger (which must be reset first). See if the notchy feel is when the tab goes over the striker safety. If that is it, polish the plunger and trigger bar tab. Just polish. If that is not it, I would have to see the gun. As said though, no two Glock trigger are exactly the same.

11. Glockrunner

Glockrunner HOOYA DEEPSEA

Sep 10, 2001
    SC
    But it would still be at most 2/3's engaged so why the difference? I don't see how the angle changes drag if the engagement remains the same.
    Thanks.

12. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Sep 20, 2003
    Penn's Woods
    Because the sear's tab has farther to travel (or, 'fall'); and the amount of mechanical force applied to the striker's lug is, now, greater. I can actually feel this difference between my older and newer trigger bars.

PS: Don't make me start taking Glocks apart in order to examine the contact surfaces on both trigger bars - Please! ;)

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  13. 21 Glock salute

21 Glock salute

Jan 2, 2013
    IL
    Ok, I'm pretty sure I've got it nailed down. It's the trigger bar/connector interface. The way the trigger bar engages the connector is different between the two guns. It's not a big enough deal for me to try to break out the really small stones or even try to polish it (I tried that with a connector once and the bar just slipped off the connector...still fired, but a horrible trigger). Looks like I just need to pick up some more ammo and it will smooth itself out. Oh darn! Gotta go shoot some more :D