close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Ok - You guys who think I am nuts to prefer Berettas...

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Shipwreck-The-Sequel, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

Shipwreck-The-Sequel Beretta 92 Nut!

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Lately, I've been trying to give myself an excuse to carry my custom 1911... At least part of the time...

I've had the 1911 "bug" many, many times over the years... Even used one as a carry gun and a home defense gun for years in the 1990s... However, I also now have a lot more gun experience now, and have owned and shot many, many different gun platforms since then. My tastes have changed, I suppose...

Anyway, shooting my Custom Shop Springfield 9mm Operator again a few days ago reminded me that it really is the most accurate 9mm I've ever shot. It's fantastic at longer distances. While it sucks up recoil from its weight - with the 5" slide and barrel, it seems to still suffer a little bit of the effect that I noticed with the fullsize Beretta 92... The longer slide and barrel seems to make it a little harder to do doubletaps. So, in that reguard, my 92FS compact still has both the 9mm Operator and my fullsize 92Fs beat.

However, in all around accuracy at any distance, I think my Operator 1911 is the most accurate gun I own and the most accurate gun I've ever shot.....

Once again, as I have done since I got it 2 years ago... I have tried to convince myself to make it a carry gun - at least part of the time. Also, since full rail operators are not standard production models, the longer I wait to find a belt holster for it, the harder it will be to get such a holster one day. And, with hard chrome and theTexas summer heat, I wasn't planning on going with an IWB holster (it would be OWB).... So, if I want a holster, I better get one soon.

But, try as I might, I find that my hand just prefers the doublestack feel of the Beretta 92 grip over that of a 1911. I know... blasphemy to some...

It's almost like the 1911 grip isn't wide enough (since the 92 is "wider"). Actually, at the bottom of the grips near the magwell, the width of the bottom of the 1911 grips makes the grip almost as wide as the Beretta 92 magwell size - if not the same width. However, it's the thinner front strap that really makes the 1911 feel thinner (which it obviously is with no grips on)...

Anyway, in either a 1 handed OR two handed grip, I just like the doublestack Beretta more. Also, I prefer the "pull it and shoot" of the DA/SA gun over the deactivation of the thumb safety to shoot the gun (the 1911). I have shot too many different guns over the years for cocked and locked to be second nature for me like it was in the 1990s.. I think I'd have to shoot and handle 1911s exclusively for a few months to get back into that second nature routine...

And finally, after getting my untucked shirt caught in my holster when I reholster my Beretta a lot - I am a little spooked to carry a 1911 that way. With the 92, I worry about this zero. Nothing will happen with that 1st DA trigger pull. With a 1911, I know that if I screw up and leave the thumb safety off even 1 time - I could have a serious problem.

Anyway - try as I might, I just can't get myself to want to carry a 1911 again. Plus, there is the little matter of scratching up a $3000 gun with carry duty. When I bought it, I only ever planned to have it as a range toy. So, there is that dilemma to overcome too...

But, after looking at holsters all day and thinking I was gonna say "to hell with it" and take the plunge... Now, after playing with my Berettas and the Operator again, I can't do it... So, just a range toy it will be :p

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  2. thatguybryan

thatguybryan

Jul 24, 2008

You could always buy a cheaper non-custom Springfield for carry. TRP would be a good choice. Accurate, reliable, lots of features like your custom shop gun.

I think the hardest part about CCing a 1911 style gun is training. It definitely takes dedication to get to the point where you're comfortable carrying it. If you shoot your Berettas more often (which I know you do), it would be very hard to go back and forth between the two (IMO) so I see where you're coming from.

Even shooting other non-1911 style guns relatively frequently, it would be very hard to transition between the two (at least I think so).

I personally wouldn't have a problem carrying a 1911, as long as I could get out to the range more often and take the time to do lots of training.

Now, move out of my way and let me shoot the Operator if you're not going to. :tongueout:

3. Not crazy at all. That's why there is so many guns out there. People like different features. That being said, if you ever decide to sell it. I call first dibs!!!!

4. You're like the 6th in line. Just because you're a LEO, you can't cut the line. You're not above the law! Only Seagal is above the law.

5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

Feb 1, 2005
    PA
    Carry what you're comfortable with. Personally, I wouldn't carry a 9mm 1911, just because I've had issues with them (EMP would be an exception).
    Besides, you're more comfortable with Berettas, not to mention you can do 17 + 1. :supergrin:

6. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    I actually did consider selling it about a month ago... For about 2 days. I went thru pros and cons and such. But, I decided I would keep it. I'd likely lose money on it, and it is a cool gun and very unique.

Plus, after buying and selling constantly for so many years, and pretty much running out of new guns I want to buy after all this time... There isn't any ONE gun that I'm just dying to get and would immediately use the $$ for. Sure, I could list 1 or 2 guns I wouldn't mind having. But nothing I'm dying to get...

It's like shooting a laser gun - its only off target when my hands move. So, I don't think I could bring myself to get rid of it. I do wish I had gotten it done in Black T or Armory Coat, and that I had gotten a single side safety on it. I also don't know that I'd choose to spend $3k on a gun ever again.

But, I don't think I can bring myself to sell it, despite the fact that it doesn't see much use.

7. bruzer

bruzer

Apr 18, 2011
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Don't worry that you won't carry your most accurate gun. The most accurate pistol I own is the 1923 Colt pre-Woodsman. There is absolutely no way I would carry that concealed. With the "sweat bath" my current carry piece takes daily the poor Colt would be rusted up tight in less than a day. Beretta's are great guns and being used daily around the world.

As far as getting your untucked T-shirt in your holster, I practice using my support hand to firmly grasp the shirt around the holster and pull it tight and out of the way of the holster before re-holstering. Re-holstering should be practiced as much as everything else because your placing a gun directly against you and there should be no room for error.
    Mike

8. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Yes, I do practice reholstering and drawing quite a bit. That's how the shirt issues happens. Admittedly, I've gotten a bit lazy worrying about the shirt, since I know I have a DA/SA gun. Also, I didn't start carrying IWB until right before I switched to carrying the Beretta. I prefer OWB carry, but that's the only way I can conceal such a big gun (is IWB)

9. No, but the fact that I can blow up your car moves me to the front:supergrin:

10. i'm going to have my people add a little something to your next order at The Chinese Garden. :rofl:

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Oct 23, 2000
    California & New Mexico, US
    The M1911 is pretty far down my list of my guns that I would rely on. So what? They still work in a pinch.

12. Being a LEO, I figure 50% of my food has spit in it....

13. Fedor

Fedor

Apr 19, 2011
    Kansas
    Same here, I have zero faith in a 1911 as a carry weapon.

14. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Shipwreck, there is nothing wrong with carrying the Beretta. Like Bucky said you could have 18 rounds, nothing wrong with that.

15. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    It almost sounds like your beating your self up over this, you really shouldn't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a huge fan of the 1911 and not CCing one. Personally I love 1911's ever since I shot my first one a few months back. I knew my collection would center around the 1911 platform. I still don't carry one nor do I think I would. I prefer to carry a pocket revolver such as a J-Frame chief special. Its a personal preference and something I was taught was carry what you like. Carrying something your not 100% comfortable with, you will end up leaving it at home or hesitating to use it.

16. Fedor

Fedor

Apr 19, 2011
    Kansas
    Very well said.

17. craig19

craig19

Aug 13, 2010
    NE Ohio
    Think Hotroder got this right. Gotta carry what you feel the most comfortable with. You saw in the other carry thread how many 1911 fans carry other types of pistols, nothing wrong with that.

18. Shipwreck-The-Sequel

May 11, 2010
    Hockey City, Texas
    Yea, I guess you are right. I guess that I was once such a 1911 fan in years past that its strange to not be such a big one now. Plus, i get so much grief on the issue of choosing a Beretta over a 1911 on some forums. Although, I tune most of those guys out.

But, it is a cool gun, and I guess I was trying to convince myself that I should make use of it more, instead of just let it sit in the safe. But, I can't do it.

So, I'll just go back to buying more 92s, I think :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  19. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Liking both and carrying only one is fine. Since your brainwashing of the Beretta handguns, I now own 5 and 4 of them are the 92 series. I finally found a good DA/SA handgun that I would want to use and practice with. I'm at the point where I'm getting as good with my Berettas as I am with my 1911s however if I choose to carry only one, its the 1911.

IMO, a 1911 and Beretta is like a YinYang type of thing. They can both coexist, although completely opposite of each other and one side will always define you just a little more than the other even though both fit you well.

20. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Well now you just ruined my last post. :dunno:

:tongueout: