close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

OK to leave powder in press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by wrx04, Oct 18, 2010.

1. wrx04

wrx04
    Expand Collapse

Is it OK to leave the powder in the press funnel or do you dump it back in the original container as soon as you are done loading? I only have one type of powder in the house, so mixing powders isnt an issue.

Secondly, and this seems like a dumb question, but how do you empty the unused powder from the dillon 550? Do you loosen the two allen-head screws and lift out the whole assembly (minus the die), or does the funnel itself come out separately?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak
    Expand Collapse
    KO Windows

I don't think there's any particular reason not to(especially if you're only using 1 powder measure. I just don't like leaving it...

I don't use the Dillon Powder Measure, but I have a good understanding of how it works, and that is exactly what i would do.

IGF

3. rangersniper308

rangersniper308
    Expand Collapse

I don't.. humidity / etc is bad on powder...

unless I am going to load tomorrow... I take it out

4. Jon_R

Jon_R
    Expand Collapse

It depends on the conditions of the area you reload in. If it is dry it should not be an issue. If it is humid / damp then it will likely cause issues.

To dump your powder on a 550 remove the two bolts holding it on (Clamp / Bracket Screw). You will need to maneuver some to get the powder reset rod out of the slotted bellcrank without dumping the powder on the floor. From there just take the top off and pour it into the original container. Once you have dumped it turn it back over and cycle it a few times by hand and it will drop some more powder. Pending your powder container a plastic funnel might be nice to have.

#4 Jon_R, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  5. XDRoX

XDRoX
    Expand Collapse

Unless you live in a pineapple under the sea leaving powder in the press is fine. Won't hurt a thing except change the color of the plastic. So if you don't want the color to change, then you should empty it.

I do not loosen the screws to take it out. I pull the two pins out of the head and slide the whole head out and pour it back into the container.

This is just easier for me because I'm usually switching the whole head anyways.

6. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker
    Expand Collapse
    Jacks #1 Fan

It's not a big issue to leave it in, provided the area it is left in is climate controlled, some powders will discolor the plastic tube though… more than a week at a time and I dump it back in a jar.

How you described is exactly how you remove unused powder from the measure, don't forget to actuate the slide by hand a couple of times to get out what's in the slide cavity.

7. wrx04

wrx04
    Expand Collapse

Cool. Thanks guys.

8. Sonnytoo

Sonnytoo
    Expand Collapse

Modern powders are nitrocellulose, and this is basically a plastic. They are not hygroscopic and do NOT readily absorb water from the air. The "old" gunpowder, aka BLACKpowder is very susceptible to dampness but that's kind of old school, except for our good folks who like blackpowder sports.
    :)
    Sonnytoo

9. Jim Watson

Jim Watson
    Expand Collapse

Some grades of powder will attack the cheap plastic in powder measures a lot more than just yellowing it. If in doubt, dump.

10. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

And I've found it easier to pull the pins and remove the entire tool head to dump the powder back into the jug from which it came.

11. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel
    Expand Collapse

To dump the powder.....

Remove the toolhead and flip it all over. Easy.

12. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

:woohoo: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Jack :whistling:

13. Firecop203

Firecop203
    Expand Collapse

If it's just overnight and I'm reloading again the next day, I leave it in there. If it's going to be awhile before I reload again, I empty it out.

14. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

And cycle the powder bar a couple of times..some likes to get stuck in there.

I find a big funnel makes the process easier.

15. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa
    Expand Collapse

if you use more than 1 powder

make sure to lable what is in the measure

so that you know next time

and

don't empty it into the wrong container.

16. pangloss9

pangloss9
    Expand Collapse

I believe some powders photodegrade. I always empty mine back into the can.

17. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Another reason to keep the jug on the bench next to the press...and dump back into it when you're done.

When I got started with reloading, I thought I'd have just one pistol powder (Universal), but have quickly ended up with 3 (Universal, Clays, WST).

18. WiskyT

WiskyT
    Expand Collapse
    Malcontent

Smokeless powder is hygroscopic. Some smokeless powders are specifically made to be non-hygroscopic.

I leave powder in my measure all the time. I keep the resevoir cover on and cover the press/measure with an opaque plastic bag to keep sunlight off of it.

19. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve
    Expand Collapse
    Decap Pin Killa

Jack - what's this "humidity" this guy's talking about? Wait... I just looked it up. Apparently, there are places in the world that have moisture suspended in the air.

Shall I use the "f" word? :whistling:

Flatlander!!! :supergrin:

20. GioaJack

GioaJack
    Expand Collapse
    Conifer Jack

Some people are just doomed to a dull, boring and insignificant life. It is truly a pity.

Jack