close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

ok so I need more mags

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by FireForged, Jan 21, 2011.

1. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Rebel South
    I own a Rock Island Armory 1911 and a Springfield MilSpec. If you own either one of these pistols, please tell me what aftermarket mags work well for you.

2. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Right behind you...
    My old RIA liked Shooting Stars.

Never tried but always heard nothing but great things about- Wilson, Tripp Research, and Checkmate.

3. tango44

tango44

Jun 16, 2005
    Miami Florida
  4. guymontag

guymontag

Jun 13, 2009
    A TX
    I own a Rock Island 1911. Both the Rock Island and my wallet adore Check-mate magazines from Top Gun Supply. Hybrid feed lips, Check-mate follower, extra power spring, 7 rounds.

5. 20South

20South

Nov 18, 2002
    East of CBUS
    I dont have a RIA, but I have had luck with the Springfield Stainless ones from the loaded coupon which I believe are Metalform and Wilson 47D and ETMs.

6. Glock30fan

Glock30fan Cmbt Tupperware

Mar 11, 2001
    Where the buffalo roam.
    Kimber KimPro Tacmags for all my 1911s. Had problems with Wilson 47Ds and almost all other 8 rounders except the KimPros.

7. My Springfield Mil-Spec has ate anything I've fed it from any mag, from SA stock mags, to CMC Shooting Stars, to Wilson ETM's. Tripp Research still makes my favorite mags. I've got several CMC and Metalform bodies converted with Tripp Super 7 kits that have been going strong for years and still have very strong spring.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  8. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Chip Power 10 has been great for me and the Wilson's. I like the 10 a bit better because of the base pad.

9. BikerRN45

BikerRN45

Jan 18, 2011
    My current stable of 1911's seem to like the Wilson 47D's, with a few exceptions.

With that said, others have favored various other magazines:

Chip McKormic (spelling?)
    Colt 7 Round Factory
    MecGar 7 Round
    G.I. Mil Spec from the Gunshow in packs of 10

You need to run each magazine in each gun and figure out what THAT gun likes. Sometimes you will have a mixture of magazines by various makers that runs the best for you in that gun. I keep a minimum of eight magazines per gun.

I have a Colt Rail Gun that is using one Colt 8 Round Magazine, two Wilson 47D's, and the rest are Mil Spec. The Springfield Loaded runs nothing but 47D's. The other Springfield runs Shooting Stars and Colt magazines. Selecting magazines for a 1911 is probably the hardest endeavor, and there is no one size fits all magazine for all 1911's. In the 1911 it is true that the magazine is the weakest link.

The only thing you can do is test each one and change as needed. Also, number your magazines so you can keep track of them, and change your magazine springs on a yearly basis.

Biker

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  10. R0CKETMAN

R0CKETMAN NRA MEMBER

Dec 19, 2007
    SECONUS in HARD TARGET
    CMC
    Tripp
    Wilson ETM
    no real need to look further

11. Ruggles

Ruggles

Jun 13, 2005
    Tejas
    Any quality 7rd mags should work for you. Those 8rd mags are for those boys who can't shoot and need the extra ammo to compensate. :)

Seriously I find 7rd mags more reliable than 8rd mags. The new Wilson ETM mags Wilson sent me for free (had a warranty issue) seem to be very well built. I still like the 7 rounders from Brown and Wilson. I like the flush fit Brown mags, with no slam pads. I carry the Brown mags in both my Wilson and my Brown. :)

12. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Jun 19, 2008
    NW Ark.
    Wilson and Tripp Cobra mags are all I run in my 1911's.